Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto from Weelicious

It's easy to make, you can store it for weeks in the fridge and my kids devour it up no matter what I put it on -- from fish, to pasta to a sandwich. Even my husband loves it. And seriously, what's not to love?!

Basil Pesto  (Makes 1 Cup)

• 2 cups fresh basil

• 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

• 1/4 cup pine nuts

• 1 garlic clove

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 cup olive oil

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.

Basil Pesto

Comments

1. Pingback: Getting Our Garden On With Gro-ables

2. Francis Pasch

September 20, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I

3. Bike Touren Italien

July 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

437439 769596Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all important infos. I would like to see more posts like this . 391795

4. Hannah

March 4, 2013 at 1:22 am

If I wanted to substitute walnuts for the pine nuts would I use the same amount?

March 5, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yes! Just chop them first so they’re closer to the size of pine nuts when you measure!

5. Pingback: Basil Pesto Pasta « Kids in the Sink

6. Pingback: Chicken Pesto | Vintage Life Photography

7. Pingback: Egg Pesto Melt | ZKMyway

8. Pingback: 3 easy potluck recipes | My Family Blog

9. physical therapy salary

January 6, 2012 at 2:05 am

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my website =). We could have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us

10. blender

December 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

hello there and thanks for your information ? I’ve definitely picked up something new from proper here. I did on the other hand expertise several technical issues using this website, since I skilled to reload the site a lot of occasions previous to I may just get it to load correctly. I have been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, however slow loading cases instances will sometimes impact your placement in google and can damage your high-quality ranking if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much extra of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you replace this once more soon..

11. A.S.

October 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Can you freeze this? And how long will it last in the refrigerator?

12. Pingback: HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW | Do | Pint Size Social

13. Tamara

April 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Oh! And this may be a silly question, but do pesto and chicken go well together? Or is fish the best option with it?

• Julie p

October 9, 2011 at 11:31 pm

They go fabulously together. Enjoy.

14. Tamara

April 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I saw some of the comments above – would it work to replace these with a different kind of nut or seed? I adore pine nuts, but they have gotten incredibly expensive where I live and I can’t justify the cost when trying to stick to my grocery budget.

• Julie p

October 9, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I know what you mean. Walnuts are a good option. See all entries above for some other wonderful suggestions.

15. mamamichelle

April 4, 2011 at 10:36 am

Would it work to use a blender if I don’t have a food processor? I will hopefully be getting one soon, but for now I’m having to improvise. I was also wondering the same thing about the recipe for graham crackers. Thanks, Catherine, for all your wonderful recipes!

April 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm

That is just fine :)

16. Holly

March 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I got a recipe for pesto using collard greens and my daughter loves it! I don’t use nuts – just olive oil, parmesan cheese, and a little garlic and onion if i’m feeling frisky.

17. Pingback: Hot Mama of the Week: Catherine McCord | Hot and Healthy Mom

18. Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

January 11, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I just saw this post and bought some fresh basil leaves the other day. I’ve made parsely pesto in the past and it’s just as delicious if you can’t get a hold of basil.

19. Terri

January 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm

My girls love pesto. I have even made it with spinach instead of basil and pecans instead of pine nuts and they still love it.

20. Kathy

January 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

my daughter is allergic to seeds, nuts and dairy and other things. Will it still taste good if i omitted the pine nuts and parmesan?

21. rachel

January 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I usually by this in a jar, but I just made this with my toddler. Tastes so good and fresh. I’m excited to eat it tonight — something the whole family can eat together.

22. cbirch

January 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I just saw this recipe and instantly had to make it (for my son’s dinner, yes, but also a big bowl of pasta for my lunch!) We were out of pine nuts so I substituted cashews – it worked well. Very yummy!

23. Gina

January 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thank you! I will be serving pesto pasta with whole wheat garlic bread for dinner. Love your recipes!

24. Holly N.

January 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

Can I do this in a mini processor or does it have to be the big one? I haven’t gotten one yet although I really want one!

25. Christine

January 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

I love pesto! Anyone have ideas for a nut-free pesto? My little girl has a nut allergy. I know the nuts are for flavor, but how much texture does it add? Should I just add more parm cheese??

• Amy

January 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I agree, seeds are a great replacement. We’ve used both pumpkin and sunflower seeds and both have been very tasty!

• Irina

January 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

At my son’s school they just do not use the pine nuts and the kids still love it. The other alternative would be using some pumpkin seeds instead of the pine nuts. It is a different flavor, but good.

26. Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama)

January 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Basil, Parmesan AND pine nuts? YUM!!

• willie

January 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for the pesto recipe. I always wanted to make my own :)