How To Make Oatmeal in the Slow Cooker Video

Oatmeal in the Crock Pot Program

Yum

I can't tell you how many mornings we wake up late and scramble to get out the door. Two kids, a husband, school lunch and more... it's overwhelming! All I'm going to say is, thank goodness for Oatmeal in the Crock Pot! It's become my go-to dish when I don't have the time to make a healthy breakfast to give us all energy for a long day of work and play. Just toss the ingredients in the crock pot before you go to bed. In the morning your house will smell like fresh cinnamon and your bellies quickly will be filled with something absolutely delicious!

Comments

1. kurry lewis

May 11, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Looks great!

2. Pingback: Beyond The Toast Crusts- Quick, Healthy, Breakfasts to Take Care of Mom Too | Get Fit Naturally

3. Pingback: Fit Tip Friday- Fast Breakfasts « Bump Life

4. Pingback: Bob Revolution

5. Briony

March 7, 2011 at 1:05 am

Here is a fool proof method to get delicious oatmeal WITHOUT making a big mess in your crockpot or having it burn. My toddlers and I eat this 4 times a week :)

Enjoy!!

6. Erica

February 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I made this once before and addes apples and still thought it was too bland(at least for my taste). Any suggestions?

7. Rivka

January 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Have you tried fresh peaches mixed in with your oatmeal? It’s delicious! I am sure other fresh fruits are too, but I have personally added peaches and they are so good, almost like a dessert.

8. mrs.m

January 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

My attempt at this was the same as most of the others. I sprayed with Pam and it was no problem getting my crockpot cleaned out. Although it did burn to the sides and bottom. Also, the oatmeal was very mushy. Maybe I shall try again with different cook time.

9. sletch

January 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I am so upset after making this recipe! Even after reading all the reviews about the horrific mess that was left in the crock pots, I just thought they were from people who weren’t used to washing dishes. I don’t have a dishwasher and am totally used to a mess and don’t mind cleaning.
    But after making the oatmeal, I don’t think my crockpot will ever be the same. Not only did about 1/2 cup of (cooked) oatmeal go in the trash after I scraped it off the sides, but 2 days later, hours of scraping and scrubbing and soaking, and my crock pot still shows traces of the oatmeal. How on earth this doesn’t happen to everyone I don’t understand. I have a stoneware crock pot, and have NEVER had this type of problem cleaning it.

10. Auro

January 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I don’t see how much cinnamon is in it. If I added fruit, like apples for example, do you think they would get too mushy after 8 hours?
    Thanks for the help!

11. Catherine

January 12, 2011 at 10:30 am

I tried this and I thought it was kind of bland. So, I added sea salt, butter, vanilla, raisins, flax meal, and mashed bananas. It was delicious! The whole family loved it.

12. Pingback: Top Ten Tuesday « Daily Bites

13. Tamara

January 10, 2011 at 2:37 am

I’ve made this a few times now (including tonight) and it’s great for the mornings I take my daughter to dayhome and don’t have time to spend making a good, hearty breakfast. I was detoxing last week and off dairy so I used almond milk and it worked really well.

My husband thought my original attempt was too mushy, so last week I set the crockpot to ‘stay warm’ for the first 7 to 7.5 hours, then switched it to high for about a half-hour. Keep an eye on it, but the consistency was good and it didn’t burn terribly to the sides.

14. Charong

January 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm

We love the crock pot. What a time saver. We used to make oatmeal in ours for breakfast but haven’t in a while. Will try tomorrow morning.

I just made chili in our crock pot with pre-soaked dry beans, which I always thought was not possible. I just did everything the same but in the crock pot and it came out beautifully.

Love your site!

15. mary

January 8, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I love making oatmeal in the crockpot. It’s been a big hit with my family. I generally throw my ingredients in the pot in the evening (say 8ish)and turn it on low, then turn it to the warm setting before I go to bed (two or three hours later). I haven’t had any problems with it burning.

16. dawn

January 8, 2011 at 11:46 am

Crockpot liners work great for this!

17. Jen Staffeldt

January 8, 2011 at 4:56 am

Wondering if you could make this for my 5 month old to eat since it has milk in it? Catherine, what are your thoughts? It sounds amazing and delicious! I’m trying it tonight (for my husband and I to eat later this morning.

Yum and thanks!
    Jen

January 10, 2011 at 1:54 am

I think at 5 months it may be a bit too young. We make this recipe using Rice Milk which is fine for babies under 1 year, but I would wait until your baby is 7 months or so. Is your baby eating purees yet?

• stacy

January 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

How would this turn out if you used only water and no milk or rice milk (Cutting down on calories)…let me know!!

Thanks!

18. Lisa@Smart Food & Fit

January 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I love making oatmeal in a crock pot. I will also use Bob Red Mill’s gluten free hot breakfast cereal to change up the grains. My kids like it w/ pumpkin or butternut squash with some brown sugar and butter. I’ll also make it with fresh apples and raisins. Thanks for sharing!

• Laura

January 8, 2011 at 7:17 am

Lisa, What a great idea! This makes it even more appealing to the older kids and adults in my family. My children are now 12 and 9 and they love everything from this site. Thanks!Laura

• Lisa@Smart Food & Fit

January 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

Hi Laura, My boys are 9, 4 and 15 months old. Once my third child was born I said no more of being a short order cook, I need to find recipes that appeal to the whole family….believe me some days are easier than others!

19. cathy

January 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm

try rinsing the pot first and leave it wt when you put ingredients in..

20. Kerry

January 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Thanks! I love it! I am sharing the link with all my Stroller Strides Conejo mommies. I like to add raw apples to it and cook over night.

21. cbirch

January 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Catherine – what brand of crock pot do you recommend? We don’t own one but I am seeing from your recipes that it is a real time saver! Thanks.

22. rebecca

January 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love this idea and will be trying it tomorrow! Thanks for the great recipes!!

23. Krista

January 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Try it in the rice cooker too!

24. Toqua

January 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Have you tried the liners?

25. Carly

January 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm

This has become a household favourite, from my husband to our 5 and 2-year-old to my parents. It’s super easy and super delish!

My only problem, and I’ve seen others have it, too, is that the sides get completely BAKED with oatmeal, requiring soaking, scrubbing, and a whole lotta oatmeal down the drain.

Any suggestions? More liquid? I’m hesitant to keep making it because of the mess it makes :(

• Linda

January 13, 2011 at 2:26 am

Spraying with Pam does the trick.

• Courtney

August 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Yep. She’s right… Spraying the inside of the crock with Pam or other cooking spray works great!!! I do that when I cook my rice in the rice cooker as well. Keeps it from sticking.

January 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

This has happened to several people. It’s tough b/c every crock pot is different. I would try cooking the oatmeal for less time (5-6) hours, so as soon as the liquid absorbs it will be ready and not burnt!

• Nicole

January 10, 2011 at 12:32 am

To avoid the burnt sides I cook the oatmeal inside a glass bowl inside the crock pot with water around the bowl. More or less in a water bath. Seems to help with the burnt edges.