Chocolate Muffins

Chocolate.

If there’s such thing as an “easy sell” in our house, nothing pleases everyone more than absolutely anything I make whose name starts with chocolate. In fact, my kids’ cheers of joy usually drown me out before I can even get the whole word out of my mouth.

Take these Chocolate Muffins for instance. Recently, my two little angels were in the midst of a quarrel at the kitchen table and I was starting to lose my patience from all the bickering. Using my best diversionary skills I announced to them, “I made chocol…”. They were sold before they even knew what it was that I made — amazing, the power chocolate in any form has over my kids. After each of their first bites, there was peace in the world (at least momentarily)….and something delicious in their tummies.

These chocolate muffins are light as a feather, but also pack a rich punch of chocolate. The next time you’re trying to grab everyone’s attention, just whip up a batch of these and watch what happens!

*The ever sweet and talented Recipe Girl posted these muffins on her site last week, but just in case you didn't see them and wanted to make sure you got to see them here!

Chocolate Muffins  (12 regular-sized or 24 mini-muffins)

Chocolate. If there’s such thing as an “easy sell” in our house, nothing pleases everyone more than absolutely anything I make whose name starts with chocolate. In fact, my kids’ cheers of joy usually drown me out before I can even get the...

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 large egg, beaten

1. 1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease 12 regular or 24 mini muffin tins.
  2. 2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and the egg. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
  4. 4. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
  5. 5. Bake 18 – 22 minutes (8-10 minutes for mini muffins), or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Chocolate Muffins

Comments

1. Anne

August 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

These are great. Thanks for all your healthy food all the time and occasional treat for when the kids have play dates and I need something everyone will enjoy but I feel good about giving out. Your site has never failed me! Thank you

2. Jessica

July 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Really good. I made them with wheat flour and I did add some vanilla too.

3. Pingback: Chocolate Muffins | Filipinaboard

4. Kris

February 12, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Wish I would’ve read these reviews before making these so I could’ve adjusted the recipe. :(
    They are dry, very cocoa flavored and not sweet at all.
    Oh well, better luck next time!

5. Paula

January 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi Catherine, I love your recipes!! However I am now trying to eliminate all processed foods from my cooking, which implies no white sugar or regular white flour. Could I use whole wheat flour and honey? How should I modify the recipe for doing so?

Thank you!!!

6. Diana

October 28, 2013 at 11:52 am

These are yummy! I’ve made them several times with various types of milk–regular, coconut milk, and even plain water. Of course the milk tastes the best and makes the moistest muffin, but coconut milk worked great and water was better than nothing!

I have ended up with only 10 full sized muffins every time I’ve made it. Not a problem, but just wanted to make a note of it in case anyone really needed 12 muffins–I either have 12 very small ones or 10 regular sized ones :)

7. Alice

October 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm

They have the right shape and texture, not dry, however they were too salty — I think Jamie’s advice’s good. Or simply remove the salt?

8. Veronica

October 12, 2013 at 11:09 am

Taste awful! Needs less cocoa powder I think, maybe extra sugar and some vanilla? They just taste like cocoa, not chocolate.

• Kat

November 6, 2013 at 8:49 am

Well…that was a kind comment.

9. Kristine

August 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

After reading the other comments, I added 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce to the wet ingredients to increase the moisture. I also baked at 350 for 11 minutes (minis). These came out delicious and still feel light and healthy.

10. Jamie

August 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

Increase the oil to 1/2 cup. Increase the sugar to a full cup. Increase the milk to a full cup also. Decrease salt to 3/4 tsp. Decrease oven temp to 375. Make these adjustments and they will come out PERFECT.

11. sharmaine

July 9, 2013 at 7:22 am

it’s a bit dry and it taste salty. tried adding 1 tbsp of butter like vensel96 said (i use unsalted butter), it’s still dry.

12. Catherine

May 30, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I tried these out and they didn’t come out as sweet as I was expecting. I’m a little disapointed as a made a big batch for a group of friends. Now I’m not too sure I really want to offer these :s

13. Pingback: Chocolate Muffins | Filipino Food and Recipes

14. erica90250

April 10, 2013 at 10:08 am

I added a bit more milk & 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla- baked at 350 for 18 minutes & they made the perfect little breakfast muffin. My 4 year old loves these! Thank you!

15. vensel96

March 8, 2013 at 10:51 am

I just made this recipe this morning. I added 1/2 a cup of pureed beets and about 2 tspns vanilla. Also, I ran out of white sugar so used brown sugar instead. I also added 1 TBSpn of butter I didn’t have any issues with dryness. I read all the comments about the dryness and that is the only reason I added the butter. They were perfect. The texture is fluffy. They are not too sweet, but that allows the cocoa flavor to come through. If you like it a little more sweet, I would suggest adding a bit more sugar. Since I’ll be using these for my cake decorating class and will be using butter cream frosting, I don’t need them to be any sweeter! Great Job Catherine – I never knew how to work or cook with Beets, but you showed me not to be afraid of them and to actually enjoy them in all your tutorials and recipes. THANK YOU!

16. Sarah

February 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Disappointed. They didn’t take sweet enough. They tasted dry and like unsweetened cocoa powder :(

17. Jessica

February 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Made these today – so yummy and EASY! Blogging about ‘em and linking tomorrow – thank you, as always Catherine!!!!

18. Sarah

February 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I have made these twice. The first time, I followed the recipe exactly but they were a bit dry (but still good). I made them again today and added half of a large sweet potato (mashed) and reduced the temp to 375 for 18 minutes! They turned out really delicious!

19. Carolina B.

January 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

Just made those and loved it! So good!! :))

20. Ishma

December 5, 2012 at 1:22 am

Can I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil?

December 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I use vegetable oil because it is a neutral flavor. I wouldn’t like the flavor of the olive oil in a chocolate muffin, but if you don’t mind that then it is a great substitute!

• Denise

September 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

What about subbing melted butter for the oil?

21. Sandy

December 4, 2012 at 1:05 am

My daughter! loves them now she able to like vegetable

22. erica90250

November 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Thank you! My 4 yr old loved these! I increased the vegetable oil to 1/2 cup and baked at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Perfect!

23. carole ann

October 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

just found your website would love to have some more

24. Pingback: Menu Plan: October 1st « Just a Mama's Stories

25. Eileen

September 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

These were very simple to make, thanks you. My husband, son and daughter were fighting over the last one!

26. Franki

July 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

My daughter & I just made these for the first time today — delicious! We read the comments about them turning out dry, so we kept an eye on them and they were great. Another wonderful weelicious recipe!

27. Ruth Pinnell

July 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Noticing the remarks about the muffins turning out dry – some ovens run hotter than others, so it’s good to check with an oven thermometer. Also, using dark or non-stick pans can lead to overcooked baked goods, and manufacturers recommend reducing oven temps by 25 degrees for these types of pans….

28. Pingback: Recipe Roundup • Saving by Making

29. Connie

May 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thank you so much Catherine. Your blog is so inspired it made my day. Please keep it up. Thanks.

30. Connie

May 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Can I substitute coco powder to blueberry? Please advise.

Thanks.

31. Misty

March 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Mmmm… gonna try these out today!!

32. Rebecca

March 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hmmm…I must have done something wrong because they turned out very dry. I’ll try again another day! I love your blog – thank you for all of your hard work!

33. Julie

March 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm

One of the things I like best about this website is that it does use normal, basic ingredients but still provides a lot of recipes that are much healthier than store-bought, processed food.

34. JEANNINE

March 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yummy, we added pureed spinach for a little extra.

35. Mattie

March 11, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Could I substitute honey or agave nectar in place of the sugar?

March 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

Yes, use 3/8 Cup Honey and reduce the oil to 2 Tbsp!

• Mattie

March 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Thank you!

36. Lindsay V

March 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I think the vanilla was a good addition. These turned out delicious!

37. LittleK

March 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

We made these this morning-and they were a little bit on the thick side, so I added in about 1-2 tbsp of plain yogurt, also used some olive oil instead as we don’t have vegetable or canola. Added about 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/4 c chocolate chips. Also made some raspberry glaze to go on top. They weren’t too sweet, which made them great for a mid-morning treat for our whole family. They baked for 18 minutes exactly and were PERCECT!!! Thank you for the recipe-it was basic and simple, and so tasty!

• LittleK

March 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

whoops! meant to say PERFECT, not PERCECT!

38. kristin333

March 10, 2012 at 1:15 am

Just having trouble with the eggs.wondering if there are any substitutions that would work .. Have a 2 yr old with major allergy’s to egg . Your recipes have been awesome . You have helped me cook things I never thoughtof making thank you!

• LittleK

March 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Kristin
      333-you can sub out flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed) for eggs in many recipes. I think it’s like 1 tbsp mixed w/ a little water, then you let it set for a few minutes and it’s ready to mix into the batter. I buy Bob’s Red Mill Ground Flaxseed and the specific directions are on the package. Good Luck!

39. Cassie

March 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Ahh catherine I tried this but it came out dry and I only did it for 10 minutes. And when I had the batter it was pretty thick. Like thicker than brownie batter. Did I miss something?

• diane

March 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Mine turned out a bit dry too, and the batter was pretty thick. I took them out of the oven after 15 minutes and maybe that was even too long. Maybe a lower temp? I thought I might add 1 ripe banana next time for moisture?

Also – Catherine – the recipe says it makes 12 regular or 4 mini.

40. Shelley

March 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

Just made these with my three year old. Used white whole wheat flour and they are yummy…not too sweet. Thank you for another great recipe and the inspiration! My son loves helping in the kitchen and I love being able to bake healthier foods with him!

41. CCMom

March 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Made these last night. Going on a road trip this weekend & wanted a special treat. Also, I subbed apple sauce for the oil.

42. tonia

March 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

made these as a treat for the kids today :) much love :) got extra kisses and I love you from them all.
    I believe this site offers a great variety of healthy food and snacks. When you make it from scratch you are in control and know exactly what you are feeding your family. I would never deny my child sweets every now and again and I feel so lucky to have found this site a few years ago, my family has totally benefited from all your delicious healthy recipes

43. Jennifer

March 8, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I made these this morning (added a tsp of vanilla)for an afternoon treat since we are having a friend and her newborn over for lunch. I love your recipes – keep up the great work and thank you!!

44. angel

March 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

So, I did find out there is a difference between whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour. For any beginners like me, FYI:)

45. Gail

March 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

What do you think about me adding a teaspoon of vanilla? I check your website every week day and have told lots of my friends about it. Thanks for taking the time to share your stories and recipes with us!:-)

March 7, 2012 at 6:45 pm

That would kick up the yumminess a notch!

46. Mary

March 7, 2012 at 9:37 am

Just pulled these out. For mini muffins only baked for 8 min then checked and they were done. Thank you!

47. stella

March 7, 2012 at 9:34 am

If I wanted to substitute buttermilk for the milk is there a change to the baking powder volume? I always forget the alteration … these look fun and not too sweet for breakfast. Thanks!

March 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You want to use 3/4 cup of buttermilk and 1/2 tsp baking SODA. Leave out the baking POWDER.

48. Jennifer

March 7, 2012 at 7:26 am

Made these this morning. They looked like they were going to be brownies, but they were not sweet. My three year old thought he was getting a super special chocolate treat! I added a little agave nectar on top, and it was just a tad sweeter for me. Nutella was also delicious!

March 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Nutella on these would be insanely delicious on these!

49. Makai

March 7, 2012 at 1:22 am

How do u substitute coconut oil? Is it a 1:1 ratio?

March 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Yes, 1:1, but you may need to melt the coconut oil first.

50. Leah

March 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I am all about chocolate and “gasp” I even let my children have them. I use organic sugar, flour, eggs. ect. Even though Catherine does not write it out DOES NOT mean you can not use it. I have been using her site for about 2 years now and my kids enjoy 99% of the foods I make from here.

As for these muffins. This will be our afternoon snack and once again its SUPER SIMPLE that my 5 year old can help which I LOVE!!!!!

51. Jill

March 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’m always looking for chocolate recipes that use cocoa powder since I always have some in the cupboard! Thanks. I also should tell you that I’ve been making the veggie lentil stew for my family and everyone LOVES it!

52. Jennifer

March 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for another yummy looking recipe, I can’t wait to try these.

I just noticed that it says (Makes 12 regular-sized or 4 mini muffins) I think that should probably read 24 mini muffins instead of just 4. :)

53. Michelle

March 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm

My family is going to love these!

54. Angela @ Happy Fit Mama

March 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Making asap!!! Yum!

55. Susan

March 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I love the idea of these muffins…I try to make banana mini muffins on Sundays with the weeks’ left over bananas, but with 3 kids 5 and under, there aren’t always left overs! This is a great, fun alternative and mini muffins are the perfect size for kids to get a treat in a perfect, small size.

56. april

March 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I appreciate the variety of foods offered on Weelicious. Some are super healthy, others are an occasional treat. All are homemade and offer parents inspiration for preparing foods for our children instead of buying packaged products with loads of preservatives and artificial ingredients. If a recipe doesn’t appeal to me (for whatever reason) I simply don’t make it. Katherine is doing us all a favor everyday that she delivers her wonderful emails to our boxes. Personally I don’t know how she has time for a family and to make all these foods, photograph them and email them out! I’m impressed everyday I open her emails. Thank you!!

57. Andrea

March 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

These sound so yummy! This will be a weekend treat! :)

• Andrea

March 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Oh, and I wanted to add, it’s so much better than all the additives of stuff sitting on the shelf for a few months. Everything in moderation!

58. lynn

March 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

my son and i just had one for dessert=thanks for the quick, easy, and satisfying recipe! (middle eastern chicken burgers for supper…)

59. sylvia

March 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Ditto to marys comment. One of my favorite parts of the day is checking into weelicious and being inspired. You make me look like a superstar in the kitchen catherine! Thank u!

60. Mary

March 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

If your not happy with the recipes then look elsewhere. Some of the recipes are fine in moderation just like anything else and honestly I would much rather give this to my son than many other things that are in stores. I’ve learned alot from this website and I love Catherine for what she is doing!!!!

61. Cathy

March 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Agree w/ Karen, great job Catherine and many thanks!!

62. karen

March 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

whoa mandi’s comments are a bit harsh. i think the recipes are great. although some recipes contain processed ingredients, catherine’s recipes provide an alternative to processed, packaged foods most mothers purchase at the market. not only are they on the healthier side, but they’re super easy and delicious. as a mom, those are the only pre-requisites i need. if you’re not happy, go somewhere else for whole foods recipes. great job catherine!

• Lorie

March 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for putting it perfectly, Karen!

• Alexandria

March 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I completely agree. My family used to buy all processed but she has inspired me to get into the kitchen. Great job Catherine

63. Mandie

March 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Technically, these would be Cocoa Muffins, as they do not contain any chocolate. I’m disappointed in your recipes these days. Many of them contain processed ingredients like white sugar, canola oil, and all purpose flour. I’d like to see you get back to using whole foods again.

• Diana

March 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m all for homemade treats and think it is sad so many kids are denied them these days. ( Wonder what effect that will have when they are older…)

I’ll be making these for sure!

Sometimes sugar just works best and 1/2 cup for the whole recipe is not that much – esp for chocolate. And really, is there such a huge difference between sugar and alternative sweeteners?? I’m thinking of the high arsenic content that was just discovered in brown rice syrup. It’s not always clear cut these days unfortunately.

Weelicious has given me so many easy and healthy meals (and treats) for my whole family. Thank you Catherine!

• Jenny

March 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I think the majority rules here. We love Weelicious and all it has to offer! Thank you, Catherine, for giving us such a wonderful resource for feeding our families. I love coming to your site every day, and look forward to all of your recipes, even the chocolate ones (let’s be truthful here – especially the chocolate ones!) I believe in moderation, which is why I love Weelicious, and these recipes give me the tools to make treats for my family rather than opting for store-bought or from-a-box mixes. I love your philosophy on food and feeding kids, and I hope you keep writing this blog for a very long time!

• Vanessa Jensen

March 13, 2012 at 2:54 am

Yeah I LOVE this site! I have been a fan for 4 years nows and I love her recipes she inspires me to make better choices for myself and my kids and using all purpose flour is not the end of the world!!! I thank you Catherine for all the time and effort you put into your site :)

March 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thank you so much for your input! I take it to heart. Weelicious strives to offer recipes for all kinds of people. From dietary restrictions to pumped-up healthier alternatives as well as the occasional indulgent treat!

• Crystal Z

March 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

I, for one, REALLY appreciate the fact that you are using common foods that I can find in my kitchen. If your kitchen happens to have the more expensive “whole foods” then by all means SUBSTITUTE those items.

I live in the middle of nowhere so many of your more (what I call) “exotic” recipes are just a dream for me. I can’t even FIND those ingredients and if I could it would cost me an arm and a leg to buy them.

Catherine, thank you for your normal recipes! I can be assured that my family will actually eat these too. Can’t wait to try them!

• Soccy

March 7, 2012 at 12:07 am

I subbed sucanat for white sugar. Coconut oil for canola. And WW pastry flour for all purpose flour with success. I even subbed kefir for the milk and these were a success. The kids Loved them. I personally prefer the whole foods recipes and look forawrd to trying the ones I see posted here. There are a few that I just pass up entirely or change up to suit our whole foods lifestyle. What I really appreciate is the inspiration.

• Nancy

March 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’ve just purchased coconut oil but I’m not sure how to use it. Do I melt/liquefy it and then measure it to equal the amount of canola oil suggested? Or what?

March 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love the substitutions you made! Good to know coo nut oil worked in this recipe!

• Nicole C.

March 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Catherine, I appreciate the variety you provide. For some of us, we can’t strictly do all “whole foods” and have it get eaten. I love the mix up of ingredients and how simple most of them are to where I can incorporate my own changes to the recipe. The best part about your recipes is they get my son excited about being in the kitchen with me! It helps me to teach him about the difference between healthy foods versus treats.

• Lorie

March 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Keep it up, Catherine. You offer a wide range of recipes that can easily be modified to personal preference or taste. I appreciate the practical approach of the site. Your hard work makes keeping the boxes and other highly processed food products out of my cabinets easier. Thanks!

64. Kassy

March 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

would you be able to use coconut oil in this recipe?

March 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Coconut oil will work great!

• belltag

August 8, 2012 at 7:13 am

Hi, I love your recipes!! I remember, back in the day before all the coco oils and all became more common…., that sometimes it was suggested to substitute plain applesauce for ‘oil’. Do you think that would work? I would hate to try it without knowing and them to flop as they look and sound great! thanks!!

August 8, 2012 at 11:39 am

Applesauce is such a different make-up than oil or butter that I don’t like subbing it because it makes the final product a different texture and flavor. I do occasionally try to create baked goods using applesauce, like these brownies: http://weelicious.com/2012/08/08/whole-wheat-double-chocolate-brownie-bites/ If you were to use applesauce in these muffins they wouldn’t be as light and fluffy as they are.

• Kassy

March 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I made these the other day and I used coconut oil and coconut milk. They turned out awesome!! I had made a double batch and my husband said I need to make more right away! This website has inspired me to make everything from scratch. I don’t even buy crackers from the store anymore!

• Sherry W

March 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

@Mandie, You can always substitute and change up the recipe yourself. We do it all the time and things still turn out fantastic. We substitute things like coconut oil instead of canola or carob in place of chocolate or anything else that makes you feel better about what you feed your family.
      I personally LOVE anything homemade with ingredients we can understand, it beats out pre-packaged foods any day. These will be our family treat later today, Thanks Catherine!

65. Mary

March 6, 2012 at 10:32 am

How do we make these with whole wheat pastry flour?

• Jennifer

March 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Sub out half the all-purpose flour for whole-wheat pastry flour.

66. Kirsten D

March 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

oh my goodness, i’m totally making these today!! do you think adding a handful of chocolate chips would be ok?

• Crystal Z

March 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oohh, adding in a handful of peanut butter chips would be delicious too! Chocolate-peanut butter muffins :D

March 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm

That would be yummy!

• Monette

March 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

I would!:) I do it all the time!