The World's Greatest Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

The night I gave birth to Chloe all I wanted afterwards was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Call me a girl with simple taste, but it's true -- I only craved thick, sliced sandwich bread, toasted and slathered with tons of smooth peanut butter and fresh strawberry preserves. I forgot one thing. It had to be made in a waffle iron!

If you've never had a PB&J made this way, you are missing out. I literally dreamed about having this "push" sandwich for weeks prior to Chloe arriving. Hours after she was born and resting in my arms, I gobbled up not one, but two. After all, I felt like I had more than earned it!

When you want to impress someone with your incredible culinary skills, whip up one of these ooeey-gooey, delectable treats. They will definitely say that you indeed made........

For more Peanut Butter Inspiration, check out these fabulous links!

Domesticate Me: Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
The Heritage Cook: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten-Free)
Virtually Homemade: Mini Nutter Butter Baked Donuts with Chocolate Ganache
Weelicious: World's Greatest Peanut Butter and Jelly
In Jennie's Kitchen: Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cinnamon Buns
Red or Green: Peanut Butter and Ginger Cookies
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Red Curry and Peanut Vegetable Slaw
Devour: Most-Comforting Peanut Butter Desserts
Taste With The Eyes: Korean Buckwheat Noodles, Peanut Sauce and Banana
Sensitive Epicure: Peanut Butter Oat Bars (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: 10 Peanut Butter Pairings
Feed Me Phoebe: Thia Peanut Chia Pudding

The Worlds Greatest Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich  (1 Sandwich )

• 2 slices sandwich bread
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons preserves
  • butter, optional

1. 1. Preheat a waffle iron.
  2. 2. Spread about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (more if you want) on one slice of bread.
  3. 3. Spread about 2 tablespoons of preserves or jelly on another slice of bread. Place the peanut butter covered slice of bread on top to make a sandwich.
  4. 4. Lightly butter your waffle iron (optional), place the sandwich inside and close.
  5. 5. Cook the sandwich for 4-5 minutes or until bread is golden and filling is oozing out the sides.
The Worlds Greatest Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Comments

1. Pingback: Thai Peanut Chia Seed Pudding Recipe | Easy Healthy Breakfast

2. Pingback: 10 Peanut Butter Pairings — Comfort Food Feast | SHEKNOWSLATINO

3. Pingback: Cold Fusion Cuisine: Noodles, Peanut Butter Sauce, Banana • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

4. Pingback: Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

5. JB

February 5, 2014 at 10:37 am

This will be so much fun for my son with our Mickey waffle iron! Thank you for the idea, I never would have thought to use the waffle iron on a PB&J sandwich, and with the ice storm that just hit, this will be a nice warm treat.

6. Sarah

January 22, 2014 at 9:51 am

I know this is an older recipe, but we just tried it for the first time today. I thought it would be a fun snow day treat. My son wanted cream cheese and jelly instead and I made the traditional PB&J for my daughter. Both were delicious and a big hit. Thanks!

7. Donna Allen

June 17, 2013 at 11:05 am

love your recipes

8. Pingback: Good food: Waffle peanut butter and jelly sandwiches | Suburbling

9. Pingback: Sunflower Butter Bran Muffins with Catherine McCord | The Naptime Chef

10. Pingback: Variations on a PB&J | diary of a bewildered mother

11. Pingback: The Week in Review – #Hallelujah « Roaming Tomahawk

12. Deborah

September 7, 2012 at 12:30 am

What brand of waffle iron do you use and are you happy with it? I have purchased three different brands and am currently using the Crusinart round waffle iron. Your looks very good. Thanks.

• Exeqiuel

February 3, 2014 at 2:07 am

pablo August 23, 2009hi bbc/ic blog if you have contact with phrraell/nerd group, submit their to do a song call back to school ” that’s a good idea i tink really . please read and submit their , with this they can do a HIT nb01. all user interesting by this idea put a comment call back to school “bye!

September 7, 2012 at 11:55 am

This is my waffle iron and I am very happy with it! http://astore.amazon.com/weelicious-20/detail/B0002CA39Y

• Morenita

February 4, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I am so sad to hear about your pancakes not wnkoirg out! Hmm .my batter was thick too, but once it was on the pan they cooked up great. I don’t know if it would make a difference or not, but did you use plain yogurt? I used thick balkan-style yogurt when making mine. I’m not sure what else it could be maybe try it with a little less flour?

13. CindyC

September 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

If you don’t have a waffle iron, don’t let that deter you from enjoying this, just fry it up like a grilled cheese sandwich on a skillet – slather a little butter on the outside bread, and it gets all goey and delicious! I’ve enjoyed them this way for years. Now I almost wish I hadn’t already started dinner tonight… :)

14. Pingback: PB&J Remix | gastronomaly

15. toni

June 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

My kids didn’t eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches until just now! This was such an easy twist to break from the sandwich rut!! Thank you :)

16. Alicia

May 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Just made this for lunch and it was the most yummy sandwich I’ve ever tasted! Thank you for this fabulous idea!!

17. Stephanie

May 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

This looks incredible. Catherine, is there a waffle iron you recommend? I don’t have much counter space so I would love one that is easy to store and take out for use. Thanks!

18. Gretchen (Veggie Grettie)

May 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Oh my goodness…that is one of the BEST ideas EVER!!! I am salivating just thinking about it. You are a genius Catherine.

19. Keren

May 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love the idea – I make similar sandwiches in my panini press – PB & banana, PB & honey (the solid, spreadable, raw honey), PB & nutella or nutella & banana if I’m in the mood for something decadent. There’s something so irresistible about the warm gooey filling.

May 29, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I love my panini maker too. The kids just think it’s really funny when I use the waffle iron to make sandwiches.

20. Kristy M

May 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

This is one of those ” why didn’t I think of that?!” recipes!! Thank you, I cannot wait to bite into one of these!!!

May 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

If you make it I would love to hear how it goes!

21. Kendall

May 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

Mmmm that sounds good and gives me an excuse to buy a waffle iron lol.

May 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

It’s one of the few kitchen appliances that won’t break the bank too!

22. Bryn

May 29, 2012 at 9:16 am

We make grilled peanut butter and honey sandwiches…these sound like something my 4 yr old would love!

May 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Mmm.. that sounds like a good one for the waffle iron!

• Lindsey

May 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Oh wow that sounds good. PB&H is my FAVE :)

23. Diane

May 29, 2012 at 8:54 am

Love it! So simple, yet impressive to the kiddies! My kids love waffles. Have you found a waffle iron that allows you to remove the grids for washing? With this recipe it might be a good thing:).

• Diana

May 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Cuisinart “The Gourmet Griddler” has plates that remove for washing, a set of flat plates for use as a griddle, a set of grooved plates for panini making, and a set of waffle plates sold separately. Three products in one! I use mine almost daily :)

May 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Great idea!

24. Asmaa moussa

May 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

wow, it seems great.
    I have a question plz, my son is just 14 months and I don’t know what are the portions size and quantities I should give to him daily. it makes me not sure whether he eats well or not??

May 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm

It’s really different for every child. My advice is to offer small portions and have your child asking for more. When you give kids too much food it can be overwhelming.

• Amy

May 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

The general logic that I worked with as a child-card provider is that young toddler’s portion sizes should probably be about 1/4-1/3 of an adult’s portion sizes. However, they are more likely to need a couple of snacks of fruit or vegetables with a little protein like hummus tossed in throughout the day.

• Amy

May 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

*Child-care!

• JENNIFER

May 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Another easy way to measure toddler serving sizes is that at this age (0-3) a serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon per food type. Toddlers are notorious “grazers” the most important thing at this age is to offer exposure to a wide variety of healthy foods at regular intervals during the day without “forcing” the child to eat. This will build up a healthy relationship with food and remove control issues. The best nutritional advice I ever received was that it is the parents job to offer healthy food at regular times during the day and the child’s job to decide how much to eat. Good luck!

25. Amy

May 29, 2012 at 7:14 am

Genius! Can’t wait to try!