I always keep a carton of eggs in our fridge so I can whip up an easy, high protein meal any time of day. However when I think of eggs, I normally associate them with breakfast. I wanted to reverse that stereotype so I teamed up with Safest Choice to create egg recipes that that are perfect for lunch, dinner or really any time of day. Essentially, beyond breakfast.
This Mexican Fried Rice dish has quickly become one of our family favorites. I happened to be working on the recipe the other week when Chloe, my little egg and bean eater, came home famished from an afternoon play date. She took some outside to eat and kept coming back in every few minutes with her empty bowl asking me for more. Before I knew it, she had finished thirds!
Over the next week I'll be sharing more out-of-the-box egg ideas that will make your cooking not only economical, but easy and delicious too. In the meantime, try this Mexican Fried Rice recipe out -- hopefully your crew will have the same response to it as mine did!
Today's recipe is part of our Eggs Beyond Breakfast week, sponsored by Safest Choice pasteurized eggs. Also, win a year's supply of eggs from Safest Choice - enter before October 29 here.
Mexican Fried Rice (serves 4-6)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, drained (about 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1/2 cup grated mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Preparation1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Stir fry the eggs for 30 seconds and remove to a plate.
2. Place the additional teaspoon oil in the skillet. Toss in the brown rice, beans, corn, salsa and cumin. Cook, stirringly continuously, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the eggs and cheese to warm through and combine.