Every mom needs a few recipes in her cooking arsenal that she can fall back on Monday to Friday in order to get dinner on the table pre-meltdown by the troops! One of my go-to recipes to prepare every week is Chicken in a Crock Pot which I’ve been making for years. I started jazzing it up a bit and made it into this Herbed Chicken in the Crock Pot. As good as the juicy, melt in your mouth chicken tastes on it’s own, the addition of the herbs takes it to the next level.
Before I leave for school pick up I pop it into my slow cooker and race out the door, and then come home right before dinner needs to be served to a piping hot meal that just needs a simple side dish like Balsamic Roasted Onions, Asian Succotash or Lemony Quinoa Salad. The best part is that you should have enough leftovers to make recipes the following day like Mac, Chicken and Cheese Bites or Mexican Enchiladas.
Putting a whole chicken in a slow cooker is also economical compared to buying chicken breasts or cut into parts and you didn’t even have to turn the gas on for your oven to roast it. That’s a major win win!
Herbed Chicken in the Crock Pot (serves 4-6)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4-5 pound whole organic chicken
1. In a small bowl, combine the poultry seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
2. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the chicken.
3. Place the chicken in the crock pot, cover, and cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 160F.
4. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: The skin on the chicken won’t be golden because this is more of a steaming method, but the meat will be outrageously moist, tender and juicy.