New Year, new you! It's time to make resolutions, but ones you can actually follow through on. For me that means cooking ahead of time that not only taste delicious, but also make me feel good. This weekend we made Asian Chicken Soup because it's super healthy, the kids love it, I know it will ward off any sick germs lurking around and I can double it for another day this week.
When it comes to make ahead recipe for breakfast and snacking I reach for all the nutritionally dense ingredients in this Super Healthy Granola. I've been making it for years and putting it in glass jars to keep in the pantry to serve with milk, on top of yogurt in parfaits and to grab and go when we're needing a little something special as a pick-me-up.
One of my favorite tricks for this Super Healthy Granola is to let it sit for an hour or so until it's totally cool after baking so you can break it into big chunks that turn out almost like granola bars. Each bite has a nutty taste with just enough spice to make it addictive to adults and kids.
When you're trying to figure out what to make to get you on the right path to health this January you'll be glad you made a big sheet pan of Super Healthy Granola!
Super Healthy Granola (makes about 4 cups)
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Oat Bran
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
3. Spread onto one large (or 2 small) cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to fully cool before stirring and transfer to a storage container.