What would the world be like without whipped cream? A sad and lonely place in my opinion. Kenya and Chloe will eat almost anything if it contains whipped cream in or on it, so I keep a container in the fridge at all times.
Not that it’s hard to twist their arm to eat Dark Chocolate Spelt Waffles, Eggless Chocolate Mousse, Tres Leches Cake or Pumpkin Pie Parfaits, but fresh whipped cream turns almost any recipe from good to spectacular with just a dollop. Sure, there’s Cool Whip and whipped creamed in the spray can, but there’s absolutely nothing like the flavor of fresh, homemade whipped cream. If you’ve never made it with your kids you have to watch this video to see how easy and cool it is to make.
While we were trying to figure out the trigger for Gemma’s food allergies I had to cut dairy, wheat and sugar out of my diet until we figured out the source (which turned out to be eggs). I have a pretty big sweet tooth, so I had to find a substitute for my daily cravings and trust me when I tell you that Coconut Whipped Cream more than filled the void.
Thick, creamy, coconut whipped cream with it’s heavenly texture and it is easy to make. You can watch the video above with your kids so you can make it too!
The first few times I made it we ate it right off a spoon and dipped whole strawberries into it one by one. You can also use it to make the filling for Strawberry Aliens or place a dollop on top of Coconut Chocolate Pancakes for a major vegetarian treat! Watch this how to make coconut whipped cream video so you can make it too!
Photos by Gerry Spiers
Coconut Whipped Cream (makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Preparation1. Place the jar of coconut milk in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
2. Being careful to not shake the can, open the coconut milk.
3. Spoon out the thick coconut cream into a large bowl, which is about 2/3 of the can. Once you get to the liquid, stop and discard or save for smoothies.
4. Beat the coconut cream with a handheld electric or stand mixer for 1 minute.
5. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 30 more seconds.