Finding a crowd-pleasing side dish can be a challenge, especially during the holidays. I love recipes that don’t hog oven space yet remain simple, festive, and loved by both adults and kids. While the traditional Waldorf Salad boasts sweetness and crunch from various fruits, nuts, and celery, my healthier version features a lighter dressing that beautifully coats each ingredient, ensuring it’s a hit with all of your guests!
Why I Love This Recipe
- Tasty Nutritional Mix: Enjoy a delightful combination of fruits, nuts, and crisp celery, creating a satisfying blend that’s both delicious and nutritious, perfect for the whole family.
- Refreshing Light Dressing: The light and refreshing dressing perfectly coats every ingredient, adding a burst of flavor without overwhelming the natural goodness of the salad, making every bite a refreshing delight.
- Kid-Friendly: The combination of sweet and tangy flavors in the fruits and the light dressing can be more palatable for children, making it an enjoyable and accessible option for introducing them to different types of salads.
- Versatile Crowd-Pleaser: This salad’s versatility is one of its best qualities, as it serves as an ideal side dish for any occasion, from casual gatherings to formal feasts, offering a tasty and vibrant addition that’s sure to please every palate.
How to Make Waldorf Salad
- Granny Smith Apples
- Dried Cranberries
- Mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Orange Juice
- Kosher Salt
1. Make Salad Base: Combine celery, Granny Smith apples, grapes, dried cranberries and walnuts in a bowl.
2. Make the Dressing: Stir the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, orange juice, honey and salt in a separate bowl until combined.
3. Combine: Pour dressing over the apple mixture. Stir until the fruits and nuts are evenly coated.
Main Dishes to Serve with Waldorf Salad
- Pretzel Fried Chicken
- Simple Roast Turkey Breast
- Southern Style Pork Tenderloin
- Pan Seared Beef Tenderloin
- Lazy BBQ Chicken
Waldorf Salad FAQs
- Can I make Waldorf salad ahead of time? Absolutely! I would keep the salad base and the dressing separate, and mix them together just before serving to maintain the salad’s freshness and crunch. Also, I recommend chopping the apples just before serving or coating with a bit of lemon (or orange) juice to keep them from browning.
- How long can I store Waldorf salad in the refrigerator? It’s best to eat Waldorf salad within 2-3 days of preparation, ensuring the ingredients retain their texture and flavor.
- Can I add protein to my Waldorf salad? For sure! You can enhance the nutritional value of your Waldorf salad by adding grilled chicken, turkey, or even tofu, creating a more filling main dish.
From its crisp, refreshing flavors to its adaptable nature, Waldorf salad is a delightful addition to any table. Whether you’re planning for a holiday feast or a casual get-together, this wholesome salad is sure to impress your guests with its tasty blend of textures and flavors. Let me know in the comments what you think of this recipe and tag me on social media if you make it!
Images by Ivan Solis
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped (about 3 stalks)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup grapes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl until combined and pour over the apple mixture.
- Stir until the fruits and nuts are evenly coated.