Some moms make their kids sugar cookies, some make them pound cakes. My mom made cheese wafers. I'm not talking about a tins worth, I'm literally talking pounds and pounds!). You would have thought she was starting her own cheese
wafer business with the amount of cracker barrel cheese kept in our
refrigerator. I remember standing by her salivating as she made them.
Really they're THAT good. She placed a perfect pecan on top of each one and added
a touch of paprika for a little zip.
For my cheese wafers, I removed the zip and decided to roll and cut them into fun shapes for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I don't know if any kid will accept cheese wafers instead of candy, but I know that if you offer these over those pre-packaged, oily goldfish snacks, they'll not only beg for more but they'll also avoid ingesting all those nasty preservatives, artificial flavors and dyes, too.
Kenya kept popping these in his mouth and crunching away so fast, I had to hide them from him. Now the only trouble is that I know where they are and I may eat the entire tin!
We used these to make this recipe_
Cheese Wafers (Makes 3-4 dozen depending on the size of your cookie cutters)
- 1/2 Lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese (about 2 Cups), grated
- 5 Tbsp Butter, cut into cubes
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour, plus additional for sprinkling
Preparation1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and combine (dough may be a bit crumbly, but it will stick together).
2. Remove all the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper and shape into a thick flat circle. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Open waxed paper and roll out dough on it into a 1/4 inch-thick piece.
5. Take small cookie cutters and cut out into shapes (you could also take an empty plastic medicine bottle to make circle shaped crackers. Just make sure you clean out the bottle thoroughly first.).
6. Place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with a silpat or parchment paper) and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
*Gluten Free- Substitute 1 Cup Flour with 1 Cup Rice Flour and it works great!