Cheese Wafers

cheese-wafers.jpg

Some moms make their kids sugar cookies, some make them pound cakes. My mom made cheese wafers. I'm not talking about a tins worth, I'm literally talking pounds and pounds!). You would have thought she was starting her own cheese
wafer business with the amount of cracker barrel cheese kept in our
refrigerator. I remember standing by her salivating as she made them.
Really they're THAT good. She placed a perfect pecan on top of each one and added
a touch of paprika for a little zip.
For my cheese wafers, I removed the zip and decided to roll and cut them into
fun shapes for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I don't know if any kid
will accept cheese wafers instead of candy, but I know that if you
offer these over those pre-packaged, oily goldfish snacks, they'll not only beg for more but they'll also avoid ingesting all those nasty preservatives, artificial flavors and dyes, too.

Kenya kept popping these in his mouth and crunching away so fast, I
had to hide them from him. Now the only trouble is that I know where they are and I may eat the entire tin!

We used these to make this recipe:

Cheese Wafers  (Makes 3-4 dozen depending on the size of your cookie cutters)

• Prep Time: 1 hrs,
wafer business with...

• 1/2 pounds sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups), grated
  • 5 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup all purpose flour, plus additional for sprinkling

1. 1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and combine (dough may be a bit crumbly, but it will stick together).
  2. 2. Remove all the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper and shape into a thick flat circle. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
  3. 3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  4. 4. Open waxed paper and roll out dough on it into a 1/4 inch-thick piece.
  5. 5. Take small cookie cutters and cut out into shapes (you could also take an empty plastic medicine bottle to make circle shaped crackers. Just make sure you clean out the bottle thoroughly first.).
  6. 6. Place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with a silpat or parchment paper) and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
  8. *Gluten Free- Substitute 1 Cup Flour with 1 Cup Rice Flour and it works great!
Cheese Wafers

Comments

1. caity

November 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

i’d like to try making them with pecans. how did your mom used to cut them, and did she put the pecans on before she baked them?

2. Lauren

November 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I tried making the dough by using 1 cup cheese, 5 T butter, and 1 cup of coconut flour (gluten free) and the dough is really crumbly and not holding together. I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and it was rock hard. I gave it a couple of minutes before trying to roll it out, but it’s just crumbly again. Any suggestions?

3. leslie borody

January 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

another option is to use a stoneware baking sheet – you can roll out the mix right on it and cut it in shapes – saves transferring the crackers and saves on dishes. i hope to try these crackers soon.

4. Rebecca

November 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

I tried to make these last night but the dough would not stick together, even after I chilled it for 2 hrs. I put it back in the food processor and added about a tablespoon of milk. I know that’s not int he recipe, but I don’t see how else it would work. What did I do wrong?

Will try to bake them tonight…

5. Nashiah

November 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm

do you think whole wheat flour will work? or half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour? I’m really excited to try these b/c all the cheese crackers I’ve seen have tons of sodium!

6. Nashiah

November 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm

7. Mila

November 16, 2011 at 7:31 am

Hi! Quick question: In the recipe itself it says to use 2 cups of cheese, but in the comments you say you use 1 cup. Which is correct? Can’t wait to make these; my daughter loves goldfish crackers and cheddar bunnies.
    Thank you!

8. kplanko

October 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

THESE ARE AWESOME!

9. Michelle

February 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I used “mexican” shredded cheese because it was what I had and they turned out delicious! I had a little bit of trouble rolling out the dough because when I took it out of the fridge it was hard as a rock but I just broke off little pieces, rolled them, smooshed them and used flower shaped cookie cutters. My house smelled great while they baked! My daughter keeps asking for crackers!

10. Michelle

February 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Mine turned out a little crumbly/breadlike…but they were great!!! Cant wait to try them on my 2 1/2 year old!!!!!!

11. RooMom

November 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm

My family loves these & everywhere I take them I get asked for the recipe. I roll mine out on a Silpat and it makes the crumbly dough easier to work with. (To the mom whose wafers turned out bready, make sure you chill the dough at least an hour. If you don’t, they’re really easy to roll out but they turn out puffy.)Thanks for the great recipe, Catherine!

12. Justine

October 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I love the recipe, but I am having a little trouble with the cheese measurements. The recipe says 1/2 pound or 1 cup, but the two are not the same amount. 1/2 pound is 8 oz. by weight and 1 cup holds 8 fluid ounces. A bag of pre-shredded cheese says 8 oz and approximately 2 cups. Did you use 1 cup or did you use half of a pound?

October 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I use 1 cup of shredded cheese :)

13. Kristy

October 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I just made these with rice flour because I can’t have gluten but have been craving cheese crackers. I chilled them in a roll about an inch and a half in diameter and then sliced them thin and baked on a baking stone it worked great.

October 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm

awesome!!

14. Kate

September 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I don’t have a food processor. Think it’s possible to make these in a blender or with a hand mixer? Or am I out of luck??

Thanks in advance!

September 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The food processor really cuts everything up, I would do it by hand but really chop up the cheese to get it as small as possible.

• Melanie

October 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I do not own a food processor but need to buy one. Can you please recommend a brand and size? I need one the cleans easily and can store in a cabinet. Thx!

October 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I use Cuisinart :)

15. Brieshon

September 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I made these tonight with my almost-4 twins. So much fun, and I didn’t have to worry about them eating the dough (which they did, of course!). I used 1/3c whole wheat flour and 2/3c white, split the cheese half cheddar and half monterey jack, and added garlic powder and dried onion. They had sort of a pie-crust/shortbread cookie (but obviously cheesy, not sweet!) consistency – more crumbly than crispy. I think I left them in a minute or two longer than I should have, or they were not cold enough when I put them in the oven.

In any case, they were a big hit with the twins, the 1 year old baby, the hubby, and me! Thank you!

16. Jennie B

September 8, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Can you make these with differet types of cheese? Like Monterey or Colby?

September 9, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Yes you can :)

17. Jennie B

September 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’m gonna add these to my menu for next week! I really hope they replace the cheez-its my kids could eat boxes of daily!

18. Kelli

July 10, 2010 at 1:28 am

I’m not a huge fan of cheese crackers, but my husband and twin boys are. Even I thought these were great! I will be making them again!

19. Pingback: with my chef hat on | a thousand beautiful things

20. laurel

June 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Have you ever tried to make these with a mixture of flours? Like, half white and half whole wheat? I’m thinking if it works, it could make for a healthier treat. Thoughts?

21. Danielle

March 4, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I made these last night and they were delicious! (I think I may have eaten the majority of them…)
    I was wondering what the texture was supposed to be like on these? I used cold block sharp cheddar and cold butter and they were more bread like than cracker like. Is this right?

May 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Since there’s no yeast and baking powder in them, they should be pretty crispy and flat. How did you make it? Sometimes when you over work the dough, it will lose it’s consistency when you bake it. You make have over worked it in the food processor.

22. ho

March 2, 2010 at 7:40 am

hi there, thinking to make this cheese wafers today, but not sure how much is 1/2 lb of cheese in grams or ounces?

can you help
    thanks

• Brieshon

September 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Half a pound = 8 oz.

May 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

It’s about 1 Cup of cheese.

23. Missy K.

February 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

How long will these keep, either in an air-tight container or frozed?

May 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

They will last about 4 days, if no one eats it all up…its best refrigerated. Frozen would last about 4 months.

24. Jessica

January 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I made these wafers for my son and he loved them! I have one question though, are they supposed to turn out soft like a cookie or crispy like a cracker? My son loves them regardless but I was just wondering because mine were softed and I think they would even be tastier if they stayed crispy like how they are when they come out of the oven. Thanks!

25. Pingback: Dee Tries Carob, Sesame & Skinny Chips « Dee Gets Fit!

26. Hilary T

October 29, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I have been looking for ideas for things I can make for my two little ones. We are really trying to eat less processed foods. I just found you and it looks like you have a lot of things that I will try.

27. Ann

October 25, 2008 at 10:02 am

Question…should the butter have been melted for the cheese wafers. My dough was exceptionally crumbly, even after refrigeration. Therefore, it did not roll out and no shapes held…they just crumbled. What did I do wrong???

28. Tami

October 24, 2008 at 9:15 pm

These looks incredibly good! I know that my kids would love them. Easy enough to make, too!
    They’re on my “to try” list! Thanks for sharing!

29. Eugene

October 22, 2008 at 8:27 am

Now everyone is talking about the American economy and eclections, nice to read something different. Eugene