Strawberry Muffins

Yes, beautiful strawberries are back and they're tasting sweet, juicy and delicious (and getting better week after week). When strawberries are in season, I love making the family Strawberr-wee Popsicles and Strawberry Preserves, but this year I wanted to add a new strawberry recipe to my repertoire. When I suggested to Kenya the idea of making strawberry muffins for breakfast the other morning, he begged me to do it.‬

You may be pleasantly surprised to hear that these big red berries contain more Vitamin C than some citrus fruits as well as being high in fiber, folate and potassium. A 1 cup serving provides kids with a whopping 140% of their recommended daily dose of Vitamin C! Now, I'm not suggesting that you let your little one scarf down half of this recipe in order for that to happen, but in the event they do love these muffins that much, at least you'll know that what's baked inside these sweet little gems is doing their bodies good!‬

Strawberry Muffins  (Makes 18 Muffins)

When the seasons change and all the new crops of fruits and vegetables return to our farmer's market, I get totally excited -- and when strawberries start showing their face again, I feel like I've gone to heaven. Yes, beautiful strawberries are back...

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup milk (low fat or whole cow’s milk, almond, rice or soy milk will work)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. 2. In a bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients.‬
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and add milk, oil, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest and stir.‬
  4. 4. Using a standing mixer or hand mixer, slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet until incorporated (try not to over mix the batter).‬
  5. 5. Add the strawberries to the batter and slowly combine.‬
  6. 6. Line or grease muffin tins and fill 2/3 of the way with batter.‬
  7. 7. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick tester comes out clean.‬
  8. 8. Cool and serve.‬
  9. * If you want to make mini muffins, fill 36 muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Strawberry Muffins

Comments

1. Natalie Pace

April 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I want to join the mailing list. Thanks

2. lish875

March 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Made these over the weekend with fresh strawberries and they were delish! Thanks for the yummy recipe!!

3. Pingback: Winter Brunch: Baby, It’s Cold Outside

4. Pingback: Planning for the Week | Working Out & Eating In

5. Alexa Smith

July 14, 2013 at 12:35 am

I made these tonite upon request from my toddler girl who loves strawberries. These muffins are awesome! They are very tasty ,the texture is moist , not very sweet and full of strawberry flavor due to the lemon zest which acts as a flavor enhancer. This one is a keeper!

6. Daniel Derrington

March 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Please add me to mailing list!

7. Kelly

November 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I made these today with (thawed organic) strawberries and organic apples, left out the lemon zest and used 1/2 agave and 1/2 honey. AMAZING! I did have to cook them for about 28 minutes but that is probably due to the addition of apple bits.

8. Danielle

August 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Just made these this afternoon! They are really good! I was all out of honey, so I subbed in brown sugar and it was a perfect match. I also used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. Thanks for an easy and tasty recipe!

9. Marissa

June 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

Just finished these and wanted to point out that after 30 minutes the inside was still complete goo, and the outside was golden brown and getting burnt! I think the temperature might need to be adjusted due to the extremely high humidity environment i live in.

• Alli

September 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm

They probably turned out gooey because you subbed applesauce for the eggs. Eggs are like glue – applesauce isn’t! If you want applesauce, you can sub some of the oil or strawberries. If you need to make without eggs – “For every egg in the original recipe, use 1 tablespoon flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons water. Whisk them together and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It will get gummy, just like eggs. Then the mixture can be incorporated into the recipe where it calls for egg(s).”

10. Marissa

June 17, 2012 at 7:57 am

These are in the oven right now, and even the batter is yummy! I actually substituted applesauce for the eggs, and skipped the lemon zest because i didn’t have it on hand.

11. Ashley

June 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for the recipe its really good!!!

12. Pingback: Pizza boxes

13. raisin bran muffins,bran muffins,muffins

December 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to paintings on. You have performed an impressive task and our whole group will be grateful to you.

14. thomas sabo schmuck

November 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I used to be recommended this website by means of my cousin. I am not sure whether this publish is written by way of him as no one else know such designated about my difficulty. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

15. Pingback: ferragamo outlet

16. Stephanie

September 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I just made these with 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and they are delicious. I’m guessing my berry and muffin lover boys will adore them but I’m sort of hoping they don’t so I can eat them myself. Thanks for another awesome recipe!

17. Sherry Gaines

September 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I make them with raspberries and like so much better than strawberries. This recipe actually came out good.

18. Amber Gray

July 27, 2011 at 9:58 am

My boys (3 and 1) gobbled these up this morning. I had a little trouble with the bottom firming up, but it may be because I used frozen strawberries. Next time I will try with fresh strawberries and see if that helps! Thanks for another great recipe!!

19. cheri'

July 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Just made these muffins! i subsituted the lemon zest with lemon oil! sooo delicious! now making a second batch with blueberries!

20. Cindy

July 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

These are so good! I made them for a 4th of July party and everyone loved them! I think my 10 month old liked them the best!! I also added about 1/2 cup more strawberries.

21. stacy

July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Love your site. I wanted to make strawberry muffins for my son’s friends that are coming over tomorrow. I went on google and found a recipe on allrecipes, but just wasn’t happy with the ingredient list. Then I thought, I’ll try Weelicious! OF COURSE you had a recipe! They are almost done, I just peeked through my oven door. They look amazing! We will get the verdict from the playdate pals tomorrow!

22. Pingback: Kid n Kitties » Archive » Blueberry Muffins

23. Kirsten

June 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

These were really good! I didn’t have a lemon so I used orange zest. I used the agave nectar and half wheat flour, half white. They were good after being defrosted to. Thanks!

24. buzzkehl

June 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

really good, and simple too. great recipe!

25. chrissyjoy

June 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

just made these, they’re perfect for the whole family. not too sweet so I feel good feeding them to my 9 month old! another recipe added to my book! ;)

26. Becky

June 9, 2011 at 1:41 pm

These are unbelievably delicious! I seriously can not deal with how good they are! And I feel so good knowing all the ingredients. I put a smidge more fruit and made them regular sized and got 17! I actually consider these almost cupcakes and am going to add some whipped cream frosting to these one day!

When baking with Agave in general, how would you replace the sugar with it in a regular recipe? If it was 1/2 cup sugar, would you put 1/2 cup agave?

27. Victoria

June 1, 2011 at 12:50 am

Thanks for the recipe :) I made two batches of these today! I used whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and dark raw agave. The slight caramel-y, molasses-y flavor of the agave was great! I also made an oat streusel topping which looked and tasted AMAZING. The second batch I used fresh organic peaches and a pecan oat streusel topping, and both batches came out super delicious. I should also add that the first batch PERFECTLY made 12 regular muffins, and the second batch made 6 extra-large muffins… This was my first Weelicious recipe, but I don’t think it will be my last :) Thank you!

28. Jocelyn

May 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Just made these last night and love them! I made regular size muffins, I got 17 of them but I think I could have filled them a little higher and only make 12 or so. I like how they’re yummy and fruity but not TOO sweet like so many baked goods. I used 2 cups of strawberries instead of 1.5 (because I have these beautiful fresh strawberries and they look so delicious) and the muffins turned out fine. Thanks for the great recipes!!

29. Kerry

May 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I just made these muffins and my husband only ate one bite and said it was either the honey or the lemon but they did not taste good. I didn’t like them much either. I will try to give them to my 1 year old daughter and see what she thinks. I do thank you for the great recipes!

30. Pingback: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner this Week « A Little Bit of All of It

31. Pingback: Mother’s Day Breakfast Treats : la mom magazine

32. Pingback: >Strawberry Muffins | My Blog

33. angelajo

February 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Can we slip wheat germ in there?? How would you do it?

34. Belinda

November 5, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I made these with organic frozen blueberries, honey, and 1/4 cup organic bananas. They had a slight gritty taste to them and were not very sweet. Any suggestions. My 18mth old was not to crazy about them either.

35. Nadia

October 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I just made these for my 2yr old and I was disappointed, they just tasted like very bland bread.I could tast the lemon zest in them but that was about it. Hopefully next time they will turn out better. Im very excited about making more of your recipes :)

36. abbey

October 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm

SOOO good!! I love these and your website!!! Thanks!

37. Ann

September 21, 2010 at 8:39 am

These came out good but think they need some more lemon zest and fruit in them. Maybe mix strawberries with raspberries?

38. Kim

September 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I just made these. They turned out fabulous! I realized in the middle of making them that I had run out of honey. So what I did was add 1/3 cup of brown sugar and one ripe mashed banana to the milk/egg mixture and it was the perfect amount of sweetness. I love the weelicious site!

39. Erin

September 16, 2010 at 10:26 am

Wow, did I ever screw these up! My brain is not fully functional in the morning, and when I went to make these I realized I only had a cup of flour left, so decided to half the recipe. I grabbed my half TABLEspoon instead of TEAspoon, so there was three times the amount of baking powder and salt. In an attempt to fix it, I added a little pancake mix, and put some sugar on the strawberries. The muffins were a little salty, but still edible. I can’t wait to make them again!(With the proper amount of ingredients!)

40. Julie

September 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

Catherine, I made these over the weekend for my daughter’s first bday party. Used frozen organic strawberries. They bled a little and turned the batter pink, which was very festive! Everyone loved them, especially the birthday girl.

41. Heather

August 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Have you ever tried these with frozen strawberries?

• slinkgirl

June 2, 2011 at 8:49 am

I made these this morning with frozen strawberries and they turned out great! I thawed the strawberries last night. The berrys turned out a little mushier than fresh would have, but that also meant the strawberry flavor infused into the whole muffin. They were a big hit.

August 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

No I haven’t but I’m sure it would work if you just defrost and toss them in :)

• Heather

August 26, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks! I see these being such a hit (trying them today!), I want to be prepared for the depths of winter when strawberries are just not the best here in NJ!

42. Annabelle

August 2, 2010 at 2:40 am

Hi, I would like to ask what brand of vanilla extract are you using for all your cooking? Are you using alcohol or alcohol-free type when cooking for the kids?

43. Ginger

July 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

My 3 year old triplets are obsessed with these muffins! I like to double recipes due to limited free time to bake so I was wondering what is the shelf life of these muffins and should they be refrigerated? I’m sure we will be freezing them too.

I like to give homemade fruit muffins for lunches in nut-free classrooms. Can you recommend other fruits that would work well in this recipe as a substitute for the strawberries? Thanks!

July 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Triplets!! WOW!! I store them in the fridge because it is made with fresh strawberries for up to a week. You could toss in blueberries or raspberries. I haven’t tried any other fruits yet though. They would be great to freeze as well!

44. Nancy

June 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Okay…made these tonight and they came out great. Has anyone put these in the freezer? I’m going to try it and just take out what I need for that moment. I can’t wait to give them to my little man. I know he will just tear them up. Just knowing every ingredient that went into these muffins makes me feel so wonderful. I know it’s all worth it. I got the ingredients for some other muffins and i’m going to make those as well.

June 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I haven’t had the chance to freeze them since they get eaten up so fast! But I’m sure they will freeze wonderfully! Just heat them up or let them thaw when you take them out of the freezer.

45. Sarah

June 29, 2010 at 8:58 am

Is there any reason you can’t refrigerate the batter until you’re ready to bake?

• Jess

August 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I would think maybe you can, but you’d have to possibly adjust the cook time? I’m assuming that the cook times are for room temp ingredients, not chilled. Just a thought :)

46. Andrea Larsen Nutritional Consultant

June 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I made them with Kamut flour as a sub and they were really good. I don’t keep white flour in our kitchen because of the lack of nutrients and high gluten content, so I find Kamut a great substitute because it isn’t as heavy as spelt or wheat. Sometimes I have to add a half cup of whole wheat pastry flour and the rest spelt or kamut to get a recipe more fluffy but this one was fine with just Kamut.

47. Simone

June 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Can I use regular organic cane sugar instead of honey or agave nectar?

June 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm

If you have Maple Syrup, you can use that. I have not tested it with the cane sugar so I wouldn’t know the measurements exactly. Let me know how they turn out!

48. Rosemamie

June 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Just made these tonight…forgot the oil in the first batch, and while a little sticky they were still delicious! My niece pronounced them “My Favorite!” and ate 4 mini muffins before dinner..and 2 with dinner ;) Even my extra super picky 6 year old tried a bite and said “it’s ok” which is a big compliment for something with obvious chunks of fruit in it! ;) Thanks for the recipe!

49. lashie

June 14, 2010 at 8:50 pm

these are deeeeeelish!!

wondering – could you use blueberries instead?

thank you!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Yes, great idea! I haven’t tried it but let me know how they turn out!

• Coralee

September 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I just made them with frozen blueberries and they turned out wonderful

50. shauna

June 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Is there anything healthier, more natural and pure than honey or agave nectar to use? I’ve seen some recipes use apple sauce or bananas as a sweetner.

June 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Apple sauce has a completely different texture, you can add apple sauce to muffins but it will never be as sweet.

• hadassah

September 21, 2010 at 12:37 am

i used bananas instead of the oil and they came out great! really soft

• angelajo

February 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm

did you use the same amount of banana as the amount of oil it calls for?

51. shauna

June 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Is there a way to make them without honey as the sweetener?

June 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm

You can make them with agave nectar as the sweetener.

52. Elizabeth

June 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Loved it! Used white whole wheat flour, and kept to the recipe. Made ~32 minis. Will freeze some; great to-go snacks for my two year old and me!

53. Amy

May 31, 2010 at 10:19 pm

So delicious!! Have made them about 3 times by now. Used AP flour the first time but have since switched to 1/2 AP & 1/2 whole wheat. Lemon zest adds a very nice touch. My kids, hubby & I love them!! Thank you!!

54. Christine

May 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm

My daughter is not yet 1 and if I use honey in this recipe can I still feed them to her?

• Amber

May 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Our pediatrician said that if the honey is pasteurized (most honey sold in regular grocery stores has been pasteurized), it is okay. The main risk of botulism comes when using raw, unpasteurized honey (such as the type you would get from a local farmers market). Maybe consult with your pediatrician. :)

May 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm

No you can’t, sorry. You might want to hold off on this one, but there are other recipes you can give her. How old is your daughter?

• Christine

May 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm

she is 10 months. I was hoping to make her some type of muffin to help her learn to feed herself.

May 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Do you give her bite size pieces and put them in front of her so she can learn to pick them up and put them in her mouth? Try giving her O cereals, cheese, pieces of fruit, steamed veggies.

55. Callista

May 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm

made these this afternoon. Didn’t have lemon on hand, but hand lemon juice so I used a squirt of that :) the batter was so light and fluffy and smelled like a cake while baking, but was not as sweet, very nice :). It gave me way more than 24 mini muffins though. I filled them to the top (I have a hard time filling on 2/3 in mini’s hehee) and still had enough leftover for 4 large muffins. I think the heat was to high for my oven, and the bottoms are a bit burnt, but it does not effect the taste.

Thanks for the recipe :)

• Shanon

July 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

To fill the mini muffin pans I use the medium scoop from Pampered Chef. The medium scoop is about the size of 2Tbs. Do 2 scoops in each cup and it will be the perfect amount every time. Also if you have the old school style ice cream scoop, one scoop is the right amount to fill the standard size cupcake cups. That way all your muffins will come out the same size and bake evenly.

• Shanon

July 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m sorry it’s the mini scoop for the muffin pans which is equal to 1Tbs. So 2 scoops to fill the mini muffin pans. Or if you have a 2Tbs scoop it’s only one scoop.

56. allison

May 21, 2010 at 10:06 am

I made them w/ white whole wheat flour. They tasted very earthy to me (and I kept putting honey on mine when no one else was looking)but my son loved it! Next time I may not deviate from the recipe though. My only question is why did I end up w/ so much batter? I used the 24 mini-muffin tin. I also used 6 regular-sized muffin tins. I seem to have this happen whenever I bake just about anything! I even overfill so I know it’s not from not putting enough batter in… Thanks to anyone w/ any feedback!!

May 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Yes, this batter is a lot but that’s ok, more for everyone!

57. Kristin

May 20, 2010 at 8:31 am

I have used applesauce as a substitute for oil in some brownie and muffin recipes, Would i be able to do that with this recipe?

• Sarah

May 20, 2010 at 9:36 am

I think that would be fine, but you might want to use low-fat buttermilk if you do sub applesauce to help make them more tender because the muffins will probably be a bit tough without the fat of the oil.

58. Sarah

May 18, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I also just made these with 1/2 white flour and 1/2 white whole wheat flour (Bob’s Red Mill organic). I used honey for my sweetener. They are really light, fluffy and very tasty!

May 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm

love it!

59. christine

May 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Just made these with 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour. Also used buttermilk instead of milk. So yummy! the lemon really adds a great touch. My kid gobbled one up right away.

60. Susan

May 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Just took my strawberry muffins out of the oven, made with whole wheat flour instead of white flour, and they are YUMMMMMY!!! Thank you for a great recipe!!

May 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Thats good to hear! How were your measurements? Whole Wheat Flour is really dense, so you would need to put in white flour to make them a little light.

• Susan

May 23, 2010 at 1:28 am

Made them with the same measurements as white flour. On another batch i substituted apple sauce for the oil. Still YUMMY!

• Stacey (Feeding My Tribe)

September 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

Good to hear that Susan… I rarely use regular white flour. I even made my biscuits with 100% whole wheat pastry flour and they turn out great.

61. Pingback: A Link-Heavy Food Post

62. Jackie

May 17, 2010 at 8:03 am

Could you use whole wheat flour? or 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white?
    I just found this site and this will be my first recipe I’m making! thanks!

• Susan

May 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Just put them in the oven with whole wheat flour! Will let you know!! :)

63. Crystal

May 17, 2010 at 4:25 am

I love your site. I have learnt so much from here before my sugar pie was born. Now I have my own baby recipes blog, inspired by yours. But I still keep coming back here to see what’s new. :) keep up the good work.