Turkey Pesto Meatballs

A weelicious reader emailed me recently saying that she had tried a version of these meatballs at a friend’s house, and while she knew the flavors and ingredients, she could not recall the amounts or how to make them. I love getting requests to figure out recipes because part of the fun for me in testing is discovering new family favorites. I’m so grateful to that reader because everyone under my roof loved these bite-sized gems. Shockingly, the person who ate the most -- Chloe, our 14 month old -- downed six (six!) in one meal. She probably would have eaten the whole batch had I let her, but even babies need to share!! Next time I have to remember to make double the amount.

Turkey Pesto Meatballs  (Serves 4-6)

After posting a picture of these Turkey Pesto Meatballs last week on our Facebook School Lunch photo gallery, I got so many requests for the recipe that I decided I should put it up ASAP! A weelicious reader emailed me recently saying that she had...

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Place all the ingredients (except for the marinara sauce) in a bowl and using your hands, combine until everything is incorporated.
  3. 3. Using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture per meatball, roll into balls and place on a plate.
  4. 4. Pour the marinara sauce into a 9 x 9 inch baking pan and top with the meatballs.
  5. 5. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.**
  7. To Freeze: Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet and freeze. After 30 minutes place the par-frozen balls in a ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours or put them straight in the oven with sauce increasing cooking time by 5 minutes.
Turkey Pesto Meatballs

Comments

1. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of August 11th | One Mama's Daily Drama

2. Robert

August 6, 2014 at 5:59 pm

The meatballs should be baked separately on a baking sheet, with the sauce simmering on the side. The recipe makes 20, and I baked them in a 400º F oven for 20 minutes. This got the meatballs to an internal temperature of 160º F, which is just right..

I covered the meatballs in foil, but I probably should have taken the foil off for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking so they could brown. More importantly, I didn’t have to wait 30 extra minutes for my 2-year old to eat!

3. fls114psu

July 23, 2014 at 8:36 am

We made these and loved them, however, like others say they were not cooked through at 25 minutes. Made them the appropriate size and oven was fully pre-heated. We ended up cooking for 30 minutes and finally a quick microwave zap. Next time (and there will be a next time) I think I will just try 35 minutes.

4. gobob2000

June 22, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Took me double time (50 minutes) to get them fully cooked in my preheated and otherwise very predictable oven. They were raw at 25 minutes. That said, these were absolutely delightful. I barely eat any meat and I had a ton, and my whole family gobbled them down. Thank you!!

5. Amber

June 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm

My 3 year old loves the turkey albondigas that his daycare provider makes for him. I’ve never been able to recreate them even with her recipe. In fact, he has not liked any version of meatball I’ve made for him. Tonight I made these with broccoli pesto and he LOVED them. He ate 8!

6. Gigi Apple

May 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I am these tonight for my 14 month old and had to post a comment! This
    Is the first time I’ve gotten him to touch any meat…he ate 5 in one sitting!!! Awesome easy recipe for him and my husband and I loved them too!!!!!

7. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday | Chasing Dreams & Flingin' Beans

8. amelthea

February 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Dear Turkey Pesto Meatballs: your deliciousness have changed my life. Thank you!

9. Leigh

December 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Hi, how would you adjust for cooking in a slow cooker?

10. Lisa

October 6, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Our son was a great eater as a baby, then he became a toddler and a switch was flipped. Now, he’s super picky often eating nothing at meal time. I made these meatballs while he napped today. He woke up and downed 5 of them. I simmered them in sauce like the recipe called for but he didn’t want the “soup.” I also made them with ground goat as I didn’t have turkey in the house. Your recipes always pass the test!!

11. Pingback: What I’m Eating Now » Another Week of Toddler-Friendly Family Menus

12. Pingback: All over the place! | Lil Runner

13. Pingback: My Month as Martha: Part 14 |

14. Stephanie

February 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

These are awesome! My boys are pretty easy to please when it comes to meatballs, but we had a family friend over and her daughter usually refuses to eat meat. She loved these meatballs and even asked for seconds!
    Another wonderful weelicious recipe!

15. Tamara

January 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Great recipe– at long last a tender meatball recipe that my twin toddlers will eat! Best part for me is that they don’t require frying before baking… they’re SO MUCH easier/faster to make than every other meatball recipe I’ve tried! Thanks!

16. AGomez

January 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Mine were also still raw after 25mins with a preheated oven. is it because I’m using a glass baking dish? What kind of dish do you mean when you say a 9×9 baking pan….would metal make a difference? And how deep is the pan?

17. tiffany

December 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I’m confused, it says if you want to freeze them, to make the balls and then put them (uncooked) in the freezer. Aren’t you not supposed to refreeze defrosted meat? Or is this under the assumption that the meat was never frozen in the first place?

December 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I make these with fresh meat! If you’re using defrosted meat it should be okay to be refrozen after mixing it with the other ingredients, especially if the meat wasn’t frozen too long in the first place. If you’re using meat that you have had in your freezer for 3 months, then you should make these and eat them instead of freezing since the meat is ready to be used up anyway!

18. cocovolleyball

December 3, 2012 at 12:36 am

Wow, these turned out great!! All ingredients from Trader Joe’s; used panko instead of regular breadcrumbs. Used the jarred organic marinara with no added salt. Got my handy 1 inch cookie dough scoop and didn’t pack the meatballs too hard. Cooking time was more like 30 minutes for me.

19. Beverly Galashan

November 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hello. I made these meatballs (as well as the chicken ones made in a sauté pan) and although I found them delicious, my 10 month old was unable to chew them because they were so compact and firm. He has eaten meatballs from the preparred food section of whole foods as well as turkey meatloaf that I make at home. Am I rolling the meatballs too tight or is this just how the recipe works? We used the fresh ground white meat from Wholefoods, in case that is what is missing, the fat.
    My son. Johnny, loves to eat food with his hands so we have tried many of your delicious recipes in search of more exciting options for him. A few of his favorites are the Zucchini Parmesan cakes, baby bolognese, pumpkin pear bread (dangerously delicious) and Mac and cheese chicken bites. Next up to try are the spinach ricotta cakes. We have numerous others that we purée and he gobbled them up.
    Thank you for the wonderful recipes.
    Beverly

November 16, 2012 at 7:26 pm

The fat is definitely what was missing. White meat cooks more quickly and will dry out faster which makes things like meatballs and chicken nuggets seem more dense and tough.

20. Kelly Martin

November 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I have made these loads of times, but tonight they didn’t cook at the same speed. I use a table spoon to measure, but this time I used extra lean turkey instead of lean. I wonder if that made the difference? So weird!

21. Tiffany

November 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Could I cook them without the sauce? Just put the meatballs on a baking sheet and do it that way? My 3 yr old likes his meatballs plain (we buy frozen ones and he doesn’t like sauce on them).

November 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

You absolutely can bake them that way!

22. Pingback: Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce | thefamilypantry

23. D's Mom

October 22, 2012 at 6:51 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve made it three times now and my husband and 18 mo old son love it! We’ve tried it with beef too and we prefer it with turkey, fyi, for anyone who’s wondering. Thanks again!

24. Pingback: Meet Our Moms | Stroller Strides Los Angeles

25. Heather

September 5, 2012 at 5:11 am

Looks great! How lean is the turkey you use –99% fat free or the 93%?

Thanks!

September 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

99%!

26. Michele M

August 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

I have been making these for our little one as well as the whole family for a while. She LOVES and will request for a meal! Yummy!!! I found they turned out better if I did not roll or pack the ball too tight… keeps it light and cooks better. My husband likes to slice the leftovers for a mini pizza or put in a sub. Thanks for a great meal in our rotation!

27. D's Mom

August 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

My husband loved these and he’s a tough judge!! I made these last night, using Trader Joe’s pesto, and then popped them into the oven tonight for dinner. I used Whole Foods 365 Roasted Vegetable pasta sauce. We served them over whole wheat couscous. DELICIOUS! I cant wait for or 16 month old son to try these. Thanks for the recipe and thanks for making it egg-free. (It’s helpful because sometimes we run out!)

28. catherine

June 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I haven’t tried that, but I don’t see why not! I’ll have to try it. :)

29. Daksha

June 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Can you make these in the crockpot?

30. Kelly

May 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

My 13 month old loves these!!! And I did too!

31. Rachel

April 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the recipe! Used it last night as we celebrated Passover…used Matzo Meal instead of bread crumbs (we don’t keep kosher so we left the cheese in). Oh, and we also used the enerG Egg Replacer, due to a egg allergy in the family.

The entire family loved it, which rarely happens since we have a wide range of ages to please…the recently-turned-picky 22 month old, the bottomless pitt 11 yr old boy & the sophisticated palate of a 17yr old diva in training.

Thanks again. :)

32. Marcy Frazier

March 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love the turkey pesto meatballs, but I tweaked the recipe just a bit. Remember my mother’s heavenly meatballs were cooked on the stove and developed a wonderful, crispy crust, so I tried the same technique. Yummy! Also doubled the breadcrumbs (from fresh honey whole wheat bread) because I prefer a fluffier meatball. My daughter Alexis devoured them!

33. Pingback: Pasta with turkey pesto meatballs – We got fed

34. Roxanne

November 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I made these turkey pesto meatballs last night for my family and they were a hit! So flavorful! As I type this review my 22 month old son is eating them so fast it’s amazing, he never eats like that. I will be making some more tonight to freeze.

Just a side note, they did take a lot longer to cook than the 25 minutes. They were basically still raw when I took them out after the suggested time. I thought maybe I had made them too large, which I will make them smaller next time, but I do see that others had this issue as well.
    Thanks the wonderful recipe!

35. Pingback: Jewlery earrings

36. Samantha

November 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Can you substitute ground beef instead?

Thanks!

• mkiekow

September 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I usually make them with GF ground beef… they are yummy!!

• shell.k

September 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

…and pan cook them vs. cooking in the oven – that way I can drain off the fat/excess oil. Then I just add sauce and serve.

37. CCMom

August 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

We eat pasta regularly. These were the BEST meatballs I have ever made. So good it was ridiculous! I’m stuffed, but still want a 2nd helping!

38. Kristin

July 10, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Wanted to tell you – we LOVE this recipe. I have made it many times. Tonight I mixed it up a little bit: made it with rosemary pesto (recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/rosemary-pesto-307438). The rosemary and parsley are from my garden!

AND hubby grilled the meatballs on the grill, and then we put them in the sauce for 20 min on top of the stove. They are INCREDIBLE. Thanks so much Catherine for the recipe and the inspiration! (your edible garden series)

-Kristin

39. Pingback: How to Get Your Baby to Eat Turkey Pesto Meatballs –

40. Lisa Gorski

March 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Our family LOVES these! The flavor is wonderful and they are so simple. But we do have to cook them for longer than stated; they are nearly raw and barely warm after 20 minutes.

March 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Did you preheat your oven? Also, how big did you make the meatballs?

41. Sophie

December 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

Hey Catherine,

What do you suggest for a non-dairy aubstitute for the Parmesan? Thanks.

42. Jimmie Depriest

November 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

Man, my grandmomma was from Sicily and she made the most amazing meatballs I ever tasted, like you had died and gone to meatball heaven. Sadly, she didnt leave a single recipe for me so I’ve been trying to figure it out on my own… slowly working my through the meatball recipes here, I still cant figure out what her secret ingredient was though!!!

43. Lorrie

September 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I also had to cook mine a lot longer (at least 30 minutes) but they were really good! I put them on a whole wheat tortilla with cheese the next day for lunch and they were even better! :)

44. Alyson

September 8, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I’m just about to make these, but I have ground chicken breast on hand, so I am going to use that. My daughter is dairy free, so I picked up romano cheese to use and I found a pesto paste that is dairy free. I’m hoping these changes don’t change the taste of the meatballs, I am so excited to serve them tonight!

45. Adriana

September 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm

These are delicious! Thanks for the recipe! 19-month-old daughter and my husband and I all like them. However, I was another person who had to cook for longer than the 20-minute time listed. With a preheated oven, I had to cook them for 45 minutes to an hour.

46. Angie

September 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm

These were a hit with my 22month old and husband. He said I have to make these once a week. They are awesome! I’m making a batch for a playdate tomorrow and plan to make these my ‘signature’ potluck dish!
    btw: I have been telling everyone I know about this site!

47. Lisa

July 24, 2010 at 11:03 am

I also had to cook mine for about twice as long & was glad to see I wasn’t the only one- when I took the foil off at 20 min they were pretty much raw, I cooked uncovered the rest of the time. I didn’t measure them to be 1 tbsp exactly but they were about cocktail meatball sized so pretty close. Otherwise these were super easy & tasty! I didn’t make full on pesto, I had a basil plant & basically chopped the leaves up finelynwith some minced garlic & olive oil and added that to the mix.

48. Colleen

July 16, 2010 at 7:35 am

I made these at half the size (1/2 T) so I wouldn’t have to cut them up as much for my toddler and not only were they easier for him to eat but them also cooked faster (about 15 minutes).

49. Rozana

July 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm

This is really delicious meatballs, my son ate two and loved meatballs – it makes me so happy!! Thanks a lot! It’s an easy yummy recipe I absolutely love!

50. Cory

June 14, 2010 at 9:42 pm

We made these tonight but used “beefalo” meat that we needed to use up. We all LOVED this dish! Not sure if it was the type of meat we used, but we needed to cook them about 45 minutes.

51. Becky

June 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I followed instructions and the meatballs were still completely raw after baking for 20 minutes.

• buzzkehl

January 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm

me too! And mine had been baking the chocolate-zucchini bread prior, so plenty pre-heated.

• Lisa

January 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I, too, find I have to cook these much longer — at least twice as long. But they are soooooo yummy! My kids (and husband) love them!

June 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Did you allow your oven to pre-heat all the way to 350 then put them in? That so weird.

52. Shannon

June 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I just made these tonight and even my husband said, “Mmmmm.” Great recipe!

53. Pingback: TASTY THURSDAY: Turkey Pesto Meatballs | Momsense in NJ's Blog

54. HS

June 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm

While this sounds yummy for dinner – it just dawned on me that i can’t make this for kids lunches…booo
    Pesto has pine nuts in it doesn’t it? My kids aren’t allergic but they go to a no NUT facility. not just peanuts.
    will try for dinner….

June 8, 2010 at 3:59 pm

You can always not put the nuts in the pesto if you make it at home. That way they can take it to school too! :)

55. Amy

June 4, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Absolutely yummy & so easy to make. Hubby, 2.5 yr old & I ate them up. Will double next time & freeze. Thank you again for another great recipe!!

56. Amy

June 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

My three year old is in such a picky stage….but we whipped these up together last night (she loved mushing them together and helping make the balls) and she ate 6 as well!! Unbelievable.

• Patsy

February 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm

A rolling stone is worth two in the bush, thanks to this arlecti.

57. christy spurrier

June 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Just wondering which pesto recipe you used. My little guys cannot have pine nuts. I was going to use the sundried tomato pesto recipe, but did not know if it mattered.

Love, love, love the recipes! I use them all of the time:)
    Christy

58. Deanna Cumpston

June 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe and found that 20 minutes was not enough cooking time for the meatballs. I started to serve my 3 year old and I was cutting them up and some were still slightly pink inside. I would give it at least 5 more minutes cook time.

Other than that they were very delicious. My son loved them and the recipe was very easy. I served it with couscous.

June 3, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for letting me know! Every oven is different and also it depends on your altitude as well. 20 minutes was perfect in my oven. I’m so happy you all enjoyed them!

59. Susan

June 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Catherine-this was awesome! I find that ground turkey/chicken is usually kinda dry but this wasn’t at all. I made it tonight and put it over whole wheat pasta with some sauteed spinach. delish!

60. Bharathi

June 2, 2010 at 3:36 pm

In the step2 do mean all ingredients? or all ingredients exept the marinara sauce?

Thanks,
    Bharathi

June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Yes! thank you!

• Salah

February 4, 2014 at 3:43 am

I am looking forarwd to reading the series. I am South American and my love is in the USA, 6k miles away. May consider moving at some point. Your views as an immigrant will be so welcome!

• Bharathi

June 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm

All ingredients including marinara sauce? Sorry, it was not clear :(

• Beth

June 12, 2010 at 8:32 am

Leave out the marinara sauce.

61. Seedbeads

June 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Is the parm cheese necessary? I can’t have cheese but haven’t found a decent substitute around here.

June 2, 2010 at 6:08 pm

No just adds more flavor in the balls, however the pesto does have cheese in it as well. You can sub it out, it won’t be a problem.

62. Jen M

June 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I, too, have been averaging about one weelicious recipe a week :-)
    Question: Is the salt REALLY necessary? With the parm cheese and the sauce, I was wondering if it really needed it.

June 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The salt just brings out all the flavors from the dish or else it would just be a little bland without it.

• Jen M

June 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Ok there isnt that much salt so I will try it. BUT in SLOW COOKER :-P Mmmmmm CANT WAIT!!

63. Holly N.

June 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

This looks great! What would you serve with these? I love all you recipes by the way! I’ve been doing about one new one each week. Thanks for sharing!!

June 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You can serve this with pasta, quinoa, or rice..even put them in baguettes and make them into a sandwich! they are soo good!