Oaty Muffins

Oaty Muffins

Yum

As a parent, I find one of the hardest things for me to do in the morning is get everyone out the door with a belly full of healthy food. More often then not, parents confide to me that they don't even try anymore because their kids aren't big "breakfast people". I understand and sympathize because Kenya could easily do without breakfast most mornings and be fine....until 10 am, when the "crash" comes and he's not only grumpy, but low on energy. I've really made it a point to try and get Kenya excited about his first meal of the day and have him hopefully understand how important eating in the morning is -- not only for his body, but also his mood.

Coming up with tempting recipes that will make my kids' (and husband's) eyes light up early in the morning is a great way to make sure they'll eat and get plenty of nutrition in every bite. These easy to prepare Oaty Muffins are made with whole wheat flour, oats, and eggs for some much needed protein. The honey provides a sweet taste that will hopefully add to that morning boost and help you avoid a 10am crash. Good for bellies and for moods!

Oaty Muffins  (Makes 12 Regular Size Muffins)

• 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 large eggs, whisked

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Mix the first 7 ingredients in a bowl to combine.
  3. 3. Whisk the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl until combined.
  4. 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
  5. 5. Fill 12 muffin cups (that have been greased or lined with paper cups) 3/4 full.
  6. 6. Bake 20-22 minutes for regular size muffins (or 16-18 minutes for mini muffins) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Oaty Muffins

Comments

1. Raina

October 5, 2014 at 7:50 am

I used coconut oil instead and threw in a banana and a few chocolate chips. Have to agree with the other reviews the salt is a bit too much.
    I made 9 muffins and had a cake pop pan so I put the rest of the mixture in there and made ‘”cake pops”.. My picky 3 1/2 yr old loved them!!!

2. Pingback: Spots on Pots – Oats and Honey Breakfast Muffins

3. Pingback: "pdf"

4. Nicola

November 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the recipe. We found it excessively salty so I had to throw the first batch out and make again with no salt. Also added a couple of handfuls of raisins. My 4 year old loves them. I made them half size in small paper cases and got 24, which will be going in his lunchbox and for breakfasts when I can’t get him to sit down for a bowl of cereal.

5. Denise

September 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing such great recipes! I also found these dry, but liked them with lots of butter. :) I also added some mini chocolate chips. Next time I will add applesauce to see if that helps with dryness. Thanks again!

6. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 8th |

7. jen

April 2, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I just made these and used only whole wheat flour. I think they are great!!!!

8. Pingback: flights to paris

9. office product key

November 20, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to offer one thing back and aid others like you helped me.

10. Pingback: keyword search tool

11. merchant advance loan

July 22, 2011 at 1:55 am

I have not checked in here for a while as I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

12. Gsu1999

July 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Not sure I’m a huge fan of these. :( Sad. I really thought I’d like them. They are definitely missing something.

13. Wedding Photographers Miami

July 1, 2011 at 6:28 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

14. Registered Nurse Online Programs

June 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I have been to your website before. The extra I examine, the more I keep coming once more!

15. Erica

February 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I would like to add more flavor. How much banana? pumpkin?

16. Pingback: weelicious « the concierge mom

17. Gina

October 17, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I’m planning on making these and packing them in my boys’ lunch bags the following day. Should I keep them refrigerated or is room temperature okay until lunchtime (11:30ish)?

October 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I would refrigerate them :)

18. Liz

October 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I made these again today with a few additions. Like last time I added nutmeg, allspice, cloves and vanilla but this time I cut the salt in half and added a jar of pureed apple and banana as well as a touch of molasses for a little more sweet. They were absolutely amazing! So moist and delicious, my daughter and my picky eating husband love them.

19. Katie

October 12, 2010 at 7:56 am

Are you using Tsp to stand for Tablespoon, or teaspoon (tsp)? Silly question, but I think I understood the notation wrong!
    Thanks!

October 12, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Tbsp is for Tablespoon and Tsp is for Teaspoon :)

20. Liz

October 9, 2010 at 11:09 am

I just pulled these out of the oven and my 2.5 y/o daughter seems to be enjoying them.

I added some nutmeg, allspice, cloves and a touch of vanilla but I still feel as though its missing something. Maybe i’ll try adding some banana to make them a little more moist.

21. Erin

October 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I made these last weekend and they went straight into the garbage. Tasteless and dry. I agree that they need something else. Banana, pumpkin, spice – something!

October 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

So sorry to hear that :( The kids love these in our house! Most kids are not used strong flavors so I made this recipe a little mild – you can always add in extra seasoning and i bet they would be great! Having this in the morning with some butter and honey is yummy too!

22. Kimberly Lohr

October 5, 2010 at 5:57 pm

What about using some canned pumpkin and fall spices? Maybe even some chopped apples as well?

October 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

YUm!!!! Such a great idea!!

23. Melissa

October 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Made the muffins yesterday. Felt it was a little dry. But perhaps I baked them a tad too long (25min). Made them again this morning and added in 3 very ripe medium bananas and baked them for 22 min. Oh my goodness it was heaven!! Thanks so much for this quick and easy recipe.

• Neda

October 17, 2010 at 3:55 am

I took Melissa’s suggestion and added ripe bananas – WONDERFUL. My entire family loves this recipe (even the pickiest member of my family – the husband)! I cooked them for only 20 minutes, but I am living in the UK and the oven temperatures here are much different.

Also, this maybe a “duh” tip, but if you pour the oil in your measuring cup first, then use that cup to pour in the honey, the honey will come out perfectly – nothing sticking to the sides!

24. Nancy

October 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I made them as called for but added dried cranberries and 1 tsp. vanilla. Absolutely delicious! My picky three-year-old boy plus my toddler girl gobbled up these mini-oat-muffins… just like their momma who had some extra honey and hot tea on the side! The only problem I found with the recipe was that I only had to bake for 12-14 min. in my mini-muffin pan…. but maybe that was just my pan.

25. Ashley

September 30, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Just curious about using all white flour as opposed to 3/4 cup of each. We ran out- but I’d love to try this reciepe!

26. tonya

September 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

I just made these this morning. I made it exactly as the recipe says. I like most of the recipes I have tried on here, but these were not good, unfortunately. I thought that it lacked flavor and needed something else, like at least a little vanilla or maybe some kind of fruit. It seemed like a little too much salt, in my opinion. I baked for only 20 min at 375, and they were dry and overdone. Disappointing :( Sorry to be a bummer.

27. Jessica Lane

September 28, 2010 at 8:58 am

Yet ANOTHER reason why this is my favorite GO TO recipe blog! I’m linking to you again and mentioning your yummy apple banana muffins, this Friday on http://www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com The Mamas who read my blog love, love, love healthy stuff that actually tastes good. (Forget the beet juice!)

28. AlisonFromSydney

September 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Hi Catherine,

I made this recipe for my 14 1/2 month old and he LOVED them. Whenever I make them, he shovels them in and whines when the bowl is empty! Like lots of other mummies on this site, I try hard to give him lots of veggies and limit the preservatives, additives and sugars and I’m really enjoying your recipes. Alison, Sydney Australia.

29. Beach Girl

September 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

HI, Do I have to use honey? any substitutes? TIA

September 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

You can use agave or even maple syrup :)

September 28, 2010 at 7:02 am

You could use agave.

30. Theresa

September 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Can you substitute apple sauce for the oil like you do with boxed muffin recipes?

September 28, 2010 at 7:02 am

You could try using 1/2 apple sauce, 1/2 oil. Having said that I haven’t tried it myself, but it should work fine. I would love to hear your results!

• Ashley

September 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I substitute apple sauce for every reciepe that calls for oil. I usually only add a few tablespoons of oil and the rest applesauce. That being said, I usually never really ‘measure’ the applesauce AND you definitely need to spray your muffin pans if you go this route (and they do tend to stick to papers more too, with the lack of oil)

31. Tamara

September 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm

sounds good–can regular milk substitute for buttermilk as I rarely have buttermilk on hand

• CollegeSAHM

September 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Tamara I use canned buttermilk all the time in recipes that call for buttermilk and I find it doesn’t make a difference. I just used it in one of Weelicious’s other muffin recipes the other day and they were fine :)

• Tamara

September 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

Thanks!

• Glynis

September 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

(Sorry – my system was running slow. We must have been posting at the same time!)

• Glynis

September 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Tamara,
      You can “sour” the regular milk by adding 1 tbsp. of cider vinegar per cup of milk. It is a simple substitute when you don’t have buttermilk on hand.

September 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm

You can make buttermilk in a jif! Just add 1 1/2 Tsp of Lemon Juice to your 1/2 Cup milk and let it sit for 10 minutes and you have buttermilk!

32. Danielle

September 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hi, Catherine. Have you ever used chia seeds in your recipes? They are supposed to be a nutritional powerhouse and you can put them into anything (i.e. muffin batter, soups/stews, smoothies). I thought it might be a good topic to share with your health-conscious readers!

September 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Just bought some the other day! Going to explore and get some recipes going :)

• Stacy

September 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm

My husband has been into the Chia seed thing lately and I used probably 2-3 T in my Morning Glory muffin recipe a week ago. Taste-wise, you would never know they were added but do give an almost poppy seed-like little crunch. Not bad at all!

September 28, 2010 at 7:00 am

I’ve been using chia seeds lately too. In granola, sprinkled on cereal, with oatmeal, etc..

33. Jocelyn

September 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Why can’t safflower oil be used instead of the vegetable/canola oil? Or even almond oil?

September 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I use vegetable/canola for it’s neutral flavor, if you prefer to use another type of oil, you can but if it has some type of essence or flavor, it will change the taste just slightly.

34. Kirsten

September 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

My son is allergic to dairy so I normally sub rice milk for cow’s milk 1-to-1 but I think buttermilk may be different. Any suggestions re: non-dairy substitute for buttermilk?

September 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

You can use soy milk and rice milk or even almond milk – just add 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice to it and I think you will be fine.

• Kimm

September 27, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I often substitute plain yogurt for buttermilk and did for this recipe as well. It turned out well. My guess is that soy yogurt would be a good alternative to soy or rice milk.

• Cat

September 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’m pretty sure you can use a non-dairy kefir.

35. Shannon Shell

September 27, 2010 at 9:13 am

Make it even more healthy and delicious and add coconut oil instead of vegetable/canola oil. These sound great! I’d like to know how to incorporate some fruit into them as well.

• Lindsay

September 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

My understanding is that coconut oil is high in saturated fat – while canola is a polyunsaturated. Am I mistaken?

• Samantha

September 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Coconut oil is fantastic for you, when it comes to fat not everything is black and white. Coconut oil is amazing, and I am 108 pounds, healthier than anyone I’ve ever met, and I take a tbs of coconut oil everyday!

• Carolyn

July 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’ve been learning about the whole coconut oil thing, too. The kind I purchased is also solid. If I warm it slightly for a recipe, it solidifies into little bits when it hits the other cool-temp ingredients. Is there a kind that is liquid at a lower temp? (I read somewhere 76 degrees is when it liquifies – don’t know if there are various kinds though)

• Goldie

October 20, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Samantha…I have a whole tub of coconut oil that I was using for thrush while nursing my baby…how do you take that tbl…by mixing it in something or just eating it? Also…if subbing coconut oil for another oil…are the measurements the same as it is solidified! Thank you very much!

• Ginny

September 30, 2010 at 10:10 am

Samantha is right. Natural saturated fats are good for you! New research is emerging that actually points to the vegetable and hydrogenated oils (the ones man created in a lab in an attempt to cut down on saturated fats) as the TRUE culprits in the rise of heart disease and many other ailments in America. The saturated fat in coconut oil will build your body, satiate your hunger, and contribute to vibrant health. Vegetable and canola oils are dead, processed concoctions that will not meet your nutritional needs and may, in fact, be very harmful to your health.

• Shannon Shell

September 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Lindsay-read up a little on it. I found this link:

Coconut oil (like many foods that we now find are good for us) got a bad wrap. What you DON’T want to be eating is canola (most often GMO) and vegetable oils. These oils are rancid right off the shelf.

But I’m one of those Weston A Price people. ;) Here’s more info.

36. Eve

September 27, 2010 at 9:04 am

Can I use quick oats? Would anything change?

September 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Quick oats will cook faster than regular oats – Test it out and see how it goes! Let me know!

37. Kristan

September 27, 2010 at 8:08 am

These look great! Do I need to modify the recipe at all for mini muffins? What about maybe adding a banana?

38. Tanya

September 27, 2010 at 8:03 am

This is very similar to a recipe by Spike Mendelsohn in Food & Wine Magazine. My son loooooves them!!