How often do you pull a box of frozen chicken nuggets from the freezer for lunch or dinner? Once a week? Twice? If your kid really loves them, I'd wager it might be even more than that. I get it. Chicken nuggets are convenient and kids will eat them. But what ingredients make up your favorite brand? Are they made from things you want your little ones eating?
These are unbelievably easy chicken nuggets are to make, absolutely delicious and made from ingredients you can pronounce. The best part is that you can make a huge batch and keep them in the freezer for future meals, so not only do they save on the expense of boxed nuggets but also the time it takes to go to the grocery to buy them.
Last week we made these on Facebook Live, I demoed how to freeze them on sheet pans and then pop them in zipper bags (before baking). All you need to do is follow the baking directions below so that you can bake off the amount you need instead of the entire recipe.
Crispy on the outside, tender inside, freshly made easy chicken nuggets your kids will beg for everyday. What could be more simple, economical, nutritious and yummy than that?
Easy Chicken Nuggets (24 Nuggets)
- 1 pound bonelss, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats (also known as 5 minute oats)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor until chicken is finely chopped and ingredients are combined.
3. Place the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl or on a plate and stir to combine.
4. With moistened hands, roll 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture between your palms and flatten it into a “nugget” shape.
5. Gently press nuggets into bread crumbs to evenly coat them.*
6. Place nuggets on a cooling rack. Place cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet.
7. Lightly spray nuggets with cooking spray.
8. Bake for 15 minutes and serve.**
* To freeze, place nuggets on a sheet tray after this step and freeze for one hour. Place nuggets in labeled freezer bags for up to 3 months. When ready to cook, follow the directions starting with step #6.
** If you want your nuggets to be golden brown, place under the broiler for 2 minutes after cooking.