Kids love anything on a stick! Or so I’ve found. I would have never believed it before Kenya started eating solids, but it’s true. Popsicles, corn dogs, shish kabobs….put it on a stick and watch what happens! It just makes eating so much more enjoyable for them.
For this chicken-on-a-stick recipe, I added a dipping sauce to increase the fun factor! Even better is that this recipe is totally healthy. When I brought them over recently to a play group Kenya goes to, the kids were yelling, “I want a chicken stick”! The funnier part was watching the parents craving a bite, but thinking it’s wasn’t good for their waistline. Not this version! It’s low in fat and high in protein and fiber, especially if you use a wholesome cereal for the coating. The next time you want a super easy recipe for a party for kids and their parents or even just for a night at home, make this one and you’ll have tons of happy tummies!
Chicken on a Stick
- 2 cups cornflakes, whole wheat flakes or other flakey cereal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders, remove white stringy tendon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 package popsicle sticks
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cereal and salt in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin OR place in a food processor until the size of breadcrumbs.
- Pour the buttermilk in one bowl and the cereal in another.
- Take the popsicle sticks and skewer the chicken tenders on to the sticks leaving a 1 inch handle.
- Roll the chicken tenders in the buttermilk and then in the cereal, coating the chicken completely. Press down lightly to adhere the cornflakes to the chicken.
- Line a sheet tray with foil and spray it with oil.
- Place the chicken tender sticks on the sheet tray and lightly spray them with oil and cover stick handles with foil so they do not burn.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cooked through.
- *After step 5 place chicken tenders on a sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer to a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, follow steps 6-9 adding an additional 3-5 min cooking time (do not defrost).