Our family is blessed to have the greatest caregiver of all time. Nilva is family and most days I don't know how I could pull off anything without her. I may be pretty proficient in the kitchen, but occasionally things get really crazy and I need help preparing a meal. Even during those weeks when our food supply drops to dangerously low levels and I can't make it to the supermarket, I never stress because Nilva has the incredible gift of being able to create the most amazing meal from a bare refrigerator and pantry.
That's why I always try to keep a bunch of simple foods in the freezer like shrimp, vegetables, and meat, so at the very least we can quickly defrost something to have for dinner. The night Nilva first unveiled this turkey burger recipe I had been expecting to eat with the kids when I got home but was informed upon my arrival that they had already eaten everything without me. Considering the fact that Kenya seems naturally inclined towards being a vegetarian, I knew Nilva must have made something that night that tasted magical.
Weeks later I asked Nilva for her recipe -- which uses oatmeal for added nutrition -- and I made it for dinner. I put out lots of toppings so everyone could jazz up their burger as they pleased. While I like my mine with tons of pickles, Chloe prefers sauerkraut, Kenya desires a dip of ketchup, and hubby likes his simple and unadorned. But however you enjoy them these burgers are a no brainer for last minute, healthy, weeknight meal!
Nilva's Ground Turkey Burgers (makes 8 mini patties)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
1. Grind the oats in a food processor or blender until finely ground.
2. In a bowl, mix together the oats, turkey, egg, garlic powder, onion powder and salt until thoroughly combined.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 equal pieces and form into patties.
4. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side.
ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, mayonaise, pickles, lettuce, tomato, sliced onion