I wish I could tell you that I feel autumn in the air, but here in Southern California it can feel like summer until well into the fall. After talking to my cousin on the phone today, I got homesick for my old Kentucky home. She told me how crisp the weather is there and how she was already starting to see pumpkins on doorsteps and in the market. Having just talked to Kenya and Chloe about their Halloween costumes the other day (in 80 degree weather mind you), I'm feeling nostalgic for the East coast and the fall flavors I so love.
One of the many things we get in California year round are gorgeous, deep orange colored sweet potatoes. I buy them at our local farmers' market and they make the most divine french fries. They are so flavorful I usually serve them up plain, but for this recipe I jazzed them up by letting the kids sprinkle them with cinnamon and salt, making this great side dish taste almost like dessert.
Now's a great time to bring all those fall flavors you love into your kitchen. These Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries are the perfect way to start.
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries (serves 4 )
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut sweet potato into 2 inch long by 1/4 inch sticks
3. Place them on a cookie sheet, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and salt, and toss to thoroughly coat.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, toss, bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.