Want to know how I get in trouble in my house? When hubby is putting the kids to bed and I'm in the kitchen pounding chicken breasts to make Crispy Chicken Paillard with Summer Salad for him and I to eat. I may think I'm being quiet but apparently it sounds like a jack hammer.
Still, after a long day of running around in the summer heat with the kids, there's nothing like taking out a little aggression on a chicken breast with a heavy mallet. But as I said, I guess don't know my own strength. I put a kitchen towel over the chicken and parchment paper to muffle the sounds, but without fail someone wakes up or comes down to complain that they can't sleep.
However, they don't complain when I'm serving it to them. I've made this dish for the kids several times this summer and they now ask for it regularly_ tender, juicy chicken breasts coated with a crispy golden layer of panko on the outside and topped with a cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden. I like to add fresh corn cut right off the cob on the side for added sweetness.
It's become one of our quintessential summertime recipes for keeping everyone happy and well fed. Now I just need to find a quieter way to make it at night for my hubby or just save it exclusively for family dinners so I don't keep everyone up!
Chicken Paillard with Summer Salad (serves 4 )
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- canola or vegetable oil, for the pan
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 ear of corn, cut off the cob
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1.Place one chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper and pound using a tenderizer until about 1/3 inch and even thickness. Repeat with all the breasts.
2. Season each chicken breast with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. In 3 small dishes place flour, egg and breadcrumbs separately.
4. Dredge both sides of chicken breast in flour, followed by egg and then bread crumbs and repeat with remaining breasts.
5. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium high heat and place chicken breasts in skillet (do in batches if needed and add extra oil if needed for second batch)
6. Fry until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes and flip to brown other side
7. Place tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and cilantro into a mixing bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and toss to coat
8. When chicken is golden brown and fully cooked place on a cooling rack to cool slightly
9. Spoon over salad and serve immediately.