What’s a mom to do when she’s got a bounty of summer vegetables like sweet onions, kale, mushrooms and bell peppers? Turn it into irresistible Veggie Calzones of course!
Ask anyone their top five foods and I’m willing to bet that pizza is on their list. There’s just something about it that feels heart warming and a special treat no matter the time of day or year. But fold that delicious pizza dough over homemade pizza sauce, cheese and veggies and you’ve got a Veggie Calzone that’s perfect for picking up and munching.
This is a really fun recipe to make as a family too. Just roll out the dough and after you’ve caramelized the onions, mushrooms and bell peppers, let the kids add the herbs, cheese and tomato sauce before scooping on top of individual pizza rounds. You can all work together to turn the hand pies into half moons, crimping the edges and then baking them till golden.
Here’s a little tip_ if your family has an aversion to one of the vegetables in the recipe you can leave it out (no judgement here) and add another one of your favorites. Anything you love on top of pizza will work beautifully in the Veggie Calzones!
Vegetarian Calzones (makes 8 calzones)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup chopped kale, stems removed, about 1 large leaf
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups weelicious tomato sauce (recipe linked below)
- 2 pounds pizza dough, recipe linked below
1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until they’re soft.
3. Add the garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, Italian herbs, and salt, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
4. Place the veggie mixture in a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
5. Add in the kale, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and tomato sauce into the veggie mixture and stir to incorporate.
6. Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece to a 6 inch circle.
7. Place about a 1/4 cup filling onto center of the dough circles, fold them over to form half moons, and crimp the edges to seal.
8. Bake the calzones for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown.
Weelicious Tomato Sauce: http://weelicious.com/2012/09/13/veggie-heavy-pizza-sauce/ Weelicious Pizza Dough: http://weelicious.com/2012/10/08/pizzeria-pizza-dough/