Are you pregnant and wanting to eat everything you see? That basically sums up the way I felt in my first and second trimesters of this pregnancy. In general, ice cream is my go to basically for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Being that I can't eat ice cream all day everyday (although I really want to), I started making creamy, luscious smoothies with fruit to fulfill some of the cravings while adding a ton of nutritious foods that I know I should be eating for the babies brain and development.
I started by going to the health food store and per the manager's recommendations for a pregnant woman started trying a ton of chocolate protein powders. In my first 8-17 weeks I was having horrible headaches and my midwife told me I needed to eat protein every 2 hours, yes, every 2 hours, in order to help the headaches subside. You can easily make this smoothie with any brand or flavor of protein powder you enjoy, but Plant Fusion and Aloha Brands are two of my favorites as they're vegan and full of essential nutrients.
The best part is this only takes me minutes to make. I buy huge bundles of ripe bananas to freeze, add a bag of frozen raspberries, 1/2 a bag of frozen black berries, a vitamin rich greens powder(you could also use fresh kale or spinach), hemp seeds on occasion, bee pollen (a great immunity booster), a pinch of Himalayan sea salt which is supposed to help with the absorption of minerals in the smoothie,a good club of milk (you can use any kind or brand you enjoy) and a big scoop of the protein powder to make it extra creamy.. I whiz it up in my Vitamix using the plunger to get everything pulsed up and when I don't have time to enjoy it immediately I will put it in the freezer later so it takes like my beloved ice cream.
Whether you're pregnant or not, this is a treat you will want to have every day!
- 1 banana, frozen in chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen raspberries
- 1 cup milk (almond, soy, or cow's)
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1/8 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon hemp, chai, or flax seeds, optional
1. Place ingredients in a blender and puree pushing down with attachment or spatula to combine between pulses (mixture is very thick so it may take a few minutes depending on the power of your blender.)
2. Place in a tall glass and drink immediately or freeze for several hours to achieve the consistency of ice cream.