Weeknights can get crazy hectic in our house, and sometimes it's a struggle to get dinner on the table. These are the times I love having one-pan dinners that can be whipped up in no time. Spiced Chicken with Olives and Lemons is exactly what I'm looking for on a busy weeknight.
It all comes together in one pan. It's sweet from the caramelized onions, tangy from the lemon juice, and it gets a briney punch from the olives. Chloe could eat an entire jar of olives in one sitting, so for my girl, I've included an entire jar in this recipe. (I just have to make sure I have extra on hand for her to munch on!)
If you haven't yet tasted castelvetrano olives, this is the perfect time to try them. They're gorgeous bright green and taste like the best parts of a green olive and a black olive mixed together. This dish is perfect on its own, but also goes great with some crusty bread, perfect brown rice, or pasta.
If you make this recipe, I'd love to see it! Tag @weelicious on social media. And tell me what you think of the olives if this is your first time trying them!
Photos by Gerry Speirs
Spiced Chicken with Olives and Lemon (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 lemons, 1 cut into 8 wedges quartered and deseeded and one juiced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 15 ounce can low-salt chicken broth
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 10 ounce jar Castelvetrano Olives, pitted and reserving all the juice
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, add onion, sprinkle with salt and saute until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Add the juice of one lemon and next 5 ingredients; stir 1 minute. Add broth and reserved olive juice and bring to boil.
3. Sprinkle chicken with salt add to skillet. Add the remaining 8 lemon wedges and olives. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally. Transfer chicken to platter and serve.