Is it a yam or a sweet potato? How did we start confusing the two? The yam is probably what you’re looking for if you want that sweet tuber that reminds you of sweet potato pie. But if you’re looking for a similar tasting but incredibly healthy alternative for your baby, sweet potatoes are one of the most complete foods. They’re a super source of beta-carotene, and also a good source of magnesium, potassium, Vitamin C and E. When you’re picking them, look at the skin of the potato and choose ones that are deep orange in color. The darker the color the more antioxidants they contain. Antioxidants help your baby’s immune system to combat disease.
Culinarily this recipe seems like an unusual mix of flavors. You’ll be shocked at how the tang of the tomato, the sweetness of the sweet potato and apple and the light herbal tone of the basil create a heavenly dish — in my opinion, one your baby will love.
We used these to make this recipe: Cuisinart DLC-2 Mini Prep Plus Food Processor
Chicken with Sweet Potato & Apple Purée
- 1 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 sweet potato, peeled
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped apple
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil
- Place chicken in a steamer basket over boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and apple to the pot and continue steaming for
- another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree. Add water
- from the steamer to make smooth.
- Cool and serve.
- To Freeze: Place in Baby Cubes and freeze for up to 3 months.