I loved gingerbread as a kid. It turns out Kenya does too, so I love coming up with new ways to use it. Recently I brought along a few of these baked gingerbread doughnuts when I picked Kenya and his friend after school one day for a play date. Kenya was really excited about my surprise snack offering and went on and on to his friend about how delicious they are, but his buddy politely declined.
Kenya proved to me that he has all the makings of a great salesman because he worked on his sweet friend for 10 minutes before he finally broke down and agreed to try one. The best part for me was watching him take the first bite and realize with surprise how much be liked it.
With a deep molasses flavor, tender texture and the plain ol’ fun of having a hole in the middle, these Gingerbread Doughnuts are a truly special holiday treat. And as I witnessed first hand, even those of us who aren’t so sure about gingerbread will agree!
If you make these gems and post them on Instagram make sure to tag @weelicious, so I can see your creation!
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a standing mixer or bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the egg, molasses and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Place the dough in a large zipper bag, seal the bag airtight and then cut off 1/2-1 inch of one corner.
- Pipe the dough into doughnuts on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.