With Chinese New Year upon us this Sunday, February 10th, my good friend and wonderful chef, Katie Chin of The Sweet and Sour Chronicles, offered up one of her scrumdiliumptious Asian recipes. She’s able to make her recipes simple enough for home cooks while still remaining authentic, yet unique at the same time!
Happy Chinese New Year!! It’s the Year of the Snake. Chinese New Year falls on February 10th and is a very special holiday as everything you eat on this day and everything you do determines how your entire year will unfold. Chinese people eat things like a egg rolls to symbolize prosperity (because they’re shaped like gold bars) or a whole steamed fish to symbolize abundance. I like to serve my family and friends these Long Life Noodles with Chicken on Chinese New Year because the noodles symbolize longevity. You should prepare these noodles without cutting them (don’t break the dried noodles before you boil them) as the longer the noodle, the longer the life! This recipe is a healthy one-pot meal loaded with tender chicken pieces and healthy veggies. My toddler twins always gobble it right up.
I hope you enjoy this dish with your family on Chinese New Year. It’s a day filled with laughter and good cheer. Get your whole family into the act and dress everyone in red for good luck. Other rituals include not sweeping on Chinese New Year day, so you don’t sweep out all your good luck and don’t scold your kids because only positive sentiments should come out of your mouth. My personal favorite is making sure you step into new shoes on Chinese New Year day so you start the year off on the right foot. Wishing you much happiness, prosperity and good health in the New Year! -Katie Chin, The Sweet and Sour Chronicles
Photo Credit_ Katie Chin
Long Life Noodles with Chicken
- 8 ounces (1/2 box) spaghetti or linguine
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup snow peas, blanched and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- greek yogurt
- greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
- Toss the chicken pieces with the cornstarch, salt and white pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it turns white.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the red pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the bean sprouts, snow peas and carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the sauce and stir-fry until blended, about 1 minute. Add the reserve noodles and toss until coated. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.