Sometimes getting kids to eat fish can be a real challenge, but it’s such a great source of protein that I’m always thinking of fun new ways to present it to little ones who resist it. Cod is an ideal introductory fish because of its mild flavor and light texture. It’s also a good source of omega-3’s, niacin and vitamins B12 and 6, all of which are important for growing bodies.
I find that whenever I serve my kids food they can hold and eat with their hands, they are more prone to eat it. For this recipe, I combined cod with some potato, cheese and breadcrumbs, molded it into bite-sized cakes and then served them up with a zesty dip. I’m never one to “sneak” fish or vegetables into recipes, but if your kids are averse to trying fish, these little cakes are delicious and a great way for them to enjoy something new. You never know, you may make fish fans out of your kids yet!
2 Tbsp Yogurt
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Tsp Lemon
1/4 Tsp Salt
1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Potato Cod Cakes w/ Lemon Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 pound cod
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Parsley, chopped fine
- 2 eggs, whisked separately
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cupe whole wheat bread crumbs
- vegetable or canola oil
For Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a steamer pot with 2 inches of water to a boil and cook the potato chunks for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove to a bowl and mash.
- Add the cod to the steamer pot and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove to a plate, cool and flake with a fork, being careful to remove any bones.
- Place the cod, mashed potatoes, parmesan, parsley, 1 egg and salt in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Shape about 2 tbsp of the cod mixture into 16 evenly shaped patties.
- Place the breadcrumbs and remaining whisked egg into two separate bowls and gently roll each patty into the whisked egg and then into the bread crumbs.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook the cod cakes 4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
For Dipping Sauce:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- To Freeze:After step 5, place the patties on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for one hour, remove and place in ziploc bags, label and freeze up to 4 months.
- When ready to eat, remove from ziploc bag and place on a plate in the fridge to defrost for 24 hours then continue with steps 6-8. You can also just place in the the oven from the freezer at 400 for 10-15 minutes.