Whenever I’m trying to come up with a fast recipe that’s healthy, easy on the wallet and entails little cooking and clean-up time (if that’s even possible) I make these tofu packets. They take only minutes to prepare and since every person you are cooking for gets his own packet, it makes the dish all the more special. If you want the preparation to be even faster, you could chop up the raw vegetables in the morning and keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to make the packets for dinner.
One of the greatest challenges for a parent is trying to make dinner and keep the troops happy and occupied at the same time. This recipe perfectly satisfies both of those requirements by providing a quick and delicious meal and getting your kids happily involved in the cooking process. Just place the parchment “books” in front of your little one and let them help you layer the veggies and sauce into each one before you fold them up and pop them in the oven. This way kids have a little more control over their dinner because they actually got to help make the food they will put into their bodies. They are the authors of their own books!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the water off of the tofu and wrap in a kitchen towel or paper towels and place something heavy on top of the tofu for 10 minutes (this is to remove as much liquid as possible from the tofu).
- Combine the miso, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Place 4 12-inch pieces of parchment on a counter top and fold in half like a book.
- Quarter the tofu and cut each quarter into 5 equal slices (you will have 20 total).
- Layer 5 slices of tofu with a quarter of the scallions, red bell pepper and mushrooms on one side of the parchment paper.
- Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds to taste.
- Place the top of the parchment over the ingredients closing the “book”.
- Starting at one end of the parchment, fold the edges of the paper over several times continuing to make creases all around the tofu until it’s completely enclosed and no air can escape.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut open top to let out steam. Be careful, it’s hot!