Avocado Shake

avocado-shake.jpg

I was kind of shocked when I discovered that in Brazil and other South American countries, avocados are used primarily in sweet dishes like ice cream and dessert mousses. In America, I feel like we're much more accustomed to them popping up in savory dishes like guacamole or sliced on a sandwich. Hmm. What could I make that's sweet using avocados? How about a shake?!

I never have to twist Kenya's arm when it comes to eating avocados or making smoothies. He's always game, so he was the perfect guinea pig (well, he always is!). I let him peel and break up the banana and pour the milk into the blender (with my help), while I scooped out the ripe avocado and dropped the ice into the blender. I added a little agave to sweeten it up, but honestly, if you have ripe bananas, you don't need it. It turned out delicious and it felt like as soon as I filled up Kenya's cup, mere seconds would pass before he was clamoring, "more"!

This mean, green, vitamin-packed drink is the perfect sweet snack for any time of the day!

Avocado Shake  (Serves 2)

• 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
  • 1 cup milk (i used unsweetened vanilla rice milk)
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • 1 large hand full of ice

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree
  3. *This recipe is for a thick shake. Add more milk if you want it thinner.
Avocado Shake

Comments

1. Roswitha

March 19, 2014 at 6:40 am

First time i made it was last week. And my son ( 12 months) always thinks when the blender turns on it’s for him.
    With the icecubes was a bit cold but oehhh he loved it so much. And he ate it with a funny way. He crawled back and forth across the room and everytime he was back he wanted a bite really addorable.
    I din’t know what to do. He just din’t wanted to eat bread just a banana. So i found you on youtube and i got your book weelious meals and it has been a real saving.My son loves it all that i have made out of it even his father who is picky. He jsut eats everything now ofcourse we do it together has helped

Thank you i am not scared anymore making food for my son

2. Pingback: Pregnancy Awareness » » We All Scream for Avocados!

3. Pingback: Green smoothies. Go Green. Be Healthy.

4. Erin

January 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm

We added a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder and a tablespoon of brown rice syrup…yum! Drinkable chocolate pudding!

5. Sandy

December 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I am going to buy a avocado to make it

6. Pingback: Avocado banana smoothie | sunnysideup

7. Deanna Brimmage

August 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

My two & three year old girls loved this yummy shake! I wasn’t sure how they would respond to the color, but my oldest claims it reminds her of Tinkerbell’s wings. :-)

8. sawhney.anu

April 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

baby and i hated it :( sorry

9. Theresa

January 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm

My 23-month old toddlers love these! They don’t eat very much throughout the day (one meal and four small snacks with milk). We tried this to help add some healthy fat and calories to their diet. I was shocked at how much my kids loved it. My son finished six ounces and then asked for more! We’ve made these at least six times already and each time, they drain their cup. When making these, I add two tablespoons of local raw honey to the blender. So yummy. Thank you again Catherine for introducing us to delicious and healthy recipes.

• Theresa787

March 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Update- we’ve been adding a handful of either raw baby spinach or raw chopped kale to the smoothies and they haven’t detected it (woo hoo- drinking our greens).

10. Sabrina

December 5, 2011 at 12:12 am

This is great for kids. If you substitute the banana for blueberries it won’t be as thick and add a tbl spoon of condensed milk. The kids will lap it up. It is a perfectly sweet smoothy.

• Michelle

January 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I was out of bananas, but had frozen blueberries, avocados and coconut milk. Turned out yummy.

11. Pingback: fun flash games

12. Jane

June 28, 2011 at 2:47 am

1 out of 2 of my kids and hubby drank this smoothie . I’ll keep making it and eventually both kids will drink it :) It’s sooo healthy that it’s a must to make.

13. jodie

June 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Wow, my 2 year old just sucked this down, I’m shocked! It’s not as sweet as the berry smoothies we normally have so I wasn’t sure if she would like it…..she just asked for more, yay!

14. P

May 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I also added some flaxseed meal and my little ones love it, actually my 4-yr-old devoured the half avocado sprinkled with salt & lemon juice while the blender was going.

15. Mitchel Dealba

May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Kudos

16. TaraV

May 12, 2011 at 11:42 am

Sorry :(
    No one liked this smoothie. Even my 11 yr old adventurous eater said, “yuck”. It has a very odd taste from the avocado. Even adding a little vanilla and honey to sweeten it up a bit didn’t save this. I have it freezing in some pop molds to see if that saves it but I don’t think we’ll be making this again.

17. JesshThom

April 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

First, this serves more than two in our house. Second, we LOVE it! Since I usually have left-overs, I make popsicles out of it. My 19 mo. old DD LOVES having these popsicles on hot days. And…as an added bonus, it doesn’t get all melty and messy as other popsicles (I guess b/c it’s so thick to begin with).

18. Pamela

April 3, 2011 at 11:20 am

One of my cooking class students has an avocado orchard and bring me tons of avocados each month so I have become very creative with them. Avocado smoothies are a regular at our house. My favorite is with unsweetened almond milk, a ripe frozen banana, a little raw honey, a drop of vanilla and a ripe mango, plus a little hemp powder for protein.

19. rebekah

March 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Yummy…I used coconut milk from the refrigertor section added a splash of vanilla and added agave nector. yummy

• Crazzy

February 4, 2014 at 11:54 pm

i kept on seeing TGIF but would you bieelve that in my 6 years here i have been to TGIF once? well hubby doesn’t like there so that is why we were never there but once. thank you for joining today. you got great fam pics there.

20. Hagerwife

March 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I have been ALL about the avocados lately, and am thankful for a new way to use them!! Can’t wait to try it!

21. Taylor

August 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

:) yay Avacado shakes!! I use to drink this as a child all the time in the Philippines. Now I can have a healthy verion with my children:)

22. Meg

August 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm

My 14 month old was all over this – I think he drank more then I did!

23. Julie P.

June 29, 2010 at 8:51 pm

My husband insisted my son would never drink this so imagine my delight as my son sucked this dry without coming up for air right in front of daddy!!! It really makes you feel great when you know all the health benefits you’re getting in with such a simple recipe!!

24. Christine

January 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This is delicious! I made it after my workout yesterday and shared it with my 21 month old daughter. Today both kids(including my 5 year old son) and I had one as a refreshing snack! I put in a couple of teaspoons of honey, and they loved it! This is great because neither of them will usually eat avocados – or ANYTHING green for that matter! ;)

Thanks!!

Christine & kiddos

25. Pingback: Weelicious Best of 2009 | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

26. Pingback: Giving juice in a bottle - Page 26 - Baby & Toddler Club Forum

27. Pingback: Avocado Shake Program | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food (and now for big kids too!)