When Chloe was born, a friend sent us a gorgeous cheese plate with all types of incredible cheeses and fresh French baguettes. The two of us couldn't possibly go through all of that cheese and bread on our own, so I refrigerated the cheese and cut the bread into cubes to dry out for another use (I'm way too frugal for my own good!). I hate waste. For example, I hate when I have to buy a loaf of bread and only wind up using half, so I have to come up with recipes that I can use before the bread goes bad. Recipes like blueberry cream cheese french toast are a perfect use for day old bread.
Blueberries are in season now and one of Kenya's new obsessions is cream cheese, so I decided to put it all together for this delicious breakfast recipe. Even better, you can prepare the dish up to 24 hours in advance, refrigerate, then pop it in the oven when you're ready to bake it for a elegant but easy morning treat.
When I pulled this out of the oven, my family’s eyes lit up! Also it made me happy to be using ingredients that otherwise would have gone to waste.
Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast (Makes 6 Servings)
- 1 1/4 Cup Milk*
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave
- 1/2 Loaf (4 Cups) French Bread, fresh or day old, cut into cubes
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese, cut into cubes (half a stick)
- 1/2 Cup blueberries
- Butter for greasing pan
Preparation1. In a large bowl, whisk milk, eggs, vanilla and honey or agave.
2. Add the bread cubes and toss with the liquid mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cream cheese and blueberries and mix gently to combine.
4. Place in a buttered 8×8 inch baking dish or individual buttered 6 oz ramekins.
5. At this point you can refrigerate for up to 12 hours to bake in the morning or continue on with step 6 and 7.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Cover the dish with foil that has been greased with butter or oil, greased side down. If using the 8×8 inch dish, bake for 25 minutes covered and 20-25 minutes uncovered. If using individual 6 oz. ramekins bake for 20 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.
8. Top with desired accompaniments and serve.
Maple syrup or honey