The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Open my refrigerator and you will always find a big bowl of hard boiled eggs. Every Sunday when I come home from the farmer's market I gently place a dozen organic, vegetarian-fed eggs into a pot of water and less then 15 minutes later I've got a high protein food everyone in the family enjoys.

Nothing to eat for breakfast? Hard boiled egg! Lunch? Egg Salad Sandwich! Dinner got you stumped? Sliced eggs on your Chopped Salad! Whether you've got a baby starting on egg yolks as a first food or mommy is simply watching her weight and in need of a protein boost from an egg white, it's a food that satisfies your tummy and wallet. After all, a 25 cent snack that will last up two weeks in the refrigerator (if they stick around that long) is right up my alley. Follow these simple steps to making the perfect hard boiled egg and you can't go wrong!

The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg  (Makes 1 Dozen Eggs)

• 1 dozen large eggs, white or brown

1. 1. Place the eggs in a large pot and cover with cold water.
  2. 2. Bring the water and eggs to a boil and then turn off the heat.
  3. 3. Allow the eggs to remain in the hot water for 12 minutes.
  4. 4. Poor off the hot water and cover eggs with cold water and a handful of ice (this stops the cooking process).
  5. 5. Drain, cool and serve.
The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Comments

1. LAB

August 11, 2014 at 10:46 am

Step 1) Go to Costco
    Step 2) Buy a dozen or two hard-cooked, already peeled eggs.
    Step 3) Eat as needed. 8^)

2. Jen Hay

April 14, 2014 at 9:29 am

My favorite method for cooking hard boiled eggs is using my Baby Bullet Turbo Steamer. It has a tray specific for eggs and it cooks up to 6 eggs in no time flat. Very easy! I also recommend using egg molds — turning hard boiled eggs into little animals makes eating them so much more fun — just ask my six year old who wouldn’t touch them before now.

3. charlie k.

December 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been running into a problem where when I peel them, there’s tons of liquid coming out and it’s causing the whites to be all speckled like a golf ball. It isn’t nearly as enjoyable. The egg’s still cooked just fine, but it’s…bleck in texture.

4. Nancye Bucknr

October 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Catherine…I LOVE your picture and answers in the book Hill put together! Tomorrow night is the Bittner’s Cocktail party and book signing. Wish you and your mother could be here for the festivities.

Nancye

5. c_c_w

July 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm

do you put a lid on the pot after you turn off the heat?

July 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

Nope!

6. Fran Klenda

June 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Please send me healthy food ideas.

7. Pingback: du lich tiet kiem

8. Pingback: spiritual selling

9. Olivia

April 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

These came out perfectly! I too suffered from over-cooked egg syndrome!! lol.

- For peeling tips, my mom could perfectly peel eggs every time! She would lightly tap & crack them, and look for the natural “bubble” in the egg, start peeling there, and making sure the milky skin was pulling up too, she also ran them under running water while peeling!

10. Yolanda

March 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I tried to make this and eggs came out very good but i had trouble peeling the shell. Is there an easy way to shell them?

11. Mark

October 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

I found this website trying to find out why I was sometimes getting a gray skin around the yolks… I used to think it meant that the eggs were old (expired), but now I know better. Thanks :)

BTW, I’m with Patty on this one… I find the appearance of yolk that is still wet in the middle unappetizing. But I guess my efforts to avoid this would explain why I frequently get the gray skin thing…

Does anybody have a methodology for hard-boiling that results in a dry-all-the-way-through yolk WITHOUT the gray skin?

Thanks again :)

• Pat Lodge

April 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

You can oven bake for hard boiled eggs. Place the eggs in a muffin pan(dry). Place in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Put in cool water and they are done. Easy as can be!

12. Lissa

October 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I boiled 6 eggs last night following your recipe exactly.
    This morning I ate one egg for breakfast and OMG, it was delicious. My egg yolk looked exactly like the one in your photo. The yolk was silky, smooth and kind of melt in your mouth soft.
    I’ve not been a big fan of boiled eggs because the one I ate were always over cooked (now I know why I always saw a gray layer around my egg yolk)and the yolks were always so dry that I usually have to drink water to wash it down. ha ha ha.
    Thank you so much.

13. Aimee @ Chickenville

September 16, 2010 at 2:38 pm

A gal after my own heart. We have chickens in the backyard, so we always have eggs and one dozen is usually hard boiled. Check out my post on egg expirations….

14. Patty

September 15, 2010 at 10:42 am

Call me crazy, but…the pictured egg looks a little undercooked. At least for my belly. Gooey in the middle with what might be a touch of liquid. A perfectly cooked egg, I always thought, should be a consistent fluffy yellow throughout the yolk.

Funny though, because I use almost the exact same cooking method and get them perfect every time. Maybe just the picture is bad?

September 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm

This is actually the correct way to serve a boiled egg, but everyone has their own preference :)

15. Melanie

September 15, 2010 at 4:32 am

If you gently tap each end of the hard boiled egg on a cutting board to crack the shell and then gently roll the egg to further crack the shell, the skin attached to the eggshell and eggwhite loosens. This makes the egg much easier to peel!

16. chelsea

September 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Do you think this recipe will work the same for 18 eggs? I always get the 18 pack….

September 13, 2010 at 5:38 pm

yes it would :)

17. Courtney

September 9, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I learned this method of boiling eggs by watching an episode of Rachel Ray several years ago and it does work the best. I still do them this way today. I did not know they would last so long in the fridge though. My husband loves boiled eggs. I will make sure to keep them on hand for his snacking. I can’t get my daughter to eat eggs. I have tried cooking them every way I know how. She is just not impressed. She will eat it if it’s in a sandwich with some cheese and bacon, but that’s about it.

18. Jaime

September 9, 2010 at 12:12 am

Thanks for the post!!!!! I never got the trick..sometimes they were good sometimes not!! Also…now that I know they keep for 2 weeks after being cooked gives me all the more reason to boil them ahead of time!!! And putting them in the cold water helps them from cracking!

19. Jean P.

September 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love hard boiled eggs but for some reason, the shell always sticks to the egg come peeling time. I don’t know why, I’ve tried letting them sit in cool water for a little while then starting them at a boil, then cooling after cooking. Is there anything I might be forgetting to do or any tricks you might have to stop it from happening? Thanks!

• Aimee @ Chickenville

September 16, 2010 at 2:40 pm

If it’s sticking as in pulling the egg white with the shell the eggs are probably too fresh. They need to be “older eggs” to peel properly. We have to let our newly laid eggs sit around the fridge for a couple of weeks before I hard boil them.

20. Quinn

September 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Oh, how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hard-boiled eggs!!! YUMMY!!! My husband bought me a toaster that doubles as a egg poacher/boiler. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but it hard-boils my eggs so perfectly that I adore it! Will look at your recipe next time I go to try hard-boiling them by pan again. Thanks for sharing!

21. Sally

September 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I must confess…I love the egg white but can’t stand the yolk. None of my children do either. Do you have any suggestions for turning the yolk into something delicious and nutritious? Thank you!!!

• mel

January 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Make avocado deviled eggs you can google it I saw it on a primal recipes website it will take out some of that egg yolk flavor but youll have the vitamins still and More! from the avacado

September 9, 2010 at 3:11 pm

You can just add it into egg salad but if you don’t like it, I’m not sure if you would like the egg salad :/

22. Abby Cole

September 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I love to use the pressure cooker for hard cooking my eggs. I do about 6 at a time, depending on the size of your pressure cooker. I have an electric pressure cooker and it takes about 3 minutes to cook perfect hard cooked eggs. Of course, as anyone with a pressure cooker knows – 3 minutes isn’t really 3 minutes as you need to let it get up to pressure, but nonetheless I don’t ever need to worry about watching for boil over.

23. Lori

September 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm

We have chickens and eat a lot of eggs around here…even sell some at my daughter’s school. It’s so true that the fresh eggs are harder to peel. But they sure do taste better! :)

24. Chrissy

September 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

You inspired me to try this out even though I’m not a very good cook — and my 9-month old loves the yolk! Thanks!

25. steenbok68

September 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I do the same, but I cook the leftover eggs from the previous week, and keep the fresh ones fresh in the fridge. I learned that for a hard boiled egg, it is better to not use eggs that are too fresh. This will help in peeling the eggs.

26. Stephanie

September 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I want to know this… how can I pack them in my lunch without stinking out the whole office? I love hard boiled eggs but feel guilty eating them at work. :(

September 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Do you put the egg in your lunch unshelled?

27. Leigh

September 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’m sorry, this may be a dumb question but, do you mean that once they are hard-boiled, they can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks?

September 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

28. Kalee

September 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Elizabeth-

I’ve been told that the fresher the eggs the harder they are to peel after hard boiling. For Easter, my mom always buys her eggs a couple weeks in advance, then hard boils them a few days before. Hope this helps!

29. elizabeth

September 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ve had a lot of trouble lately w/eggs that just won’t peel nicely. Half the egg white comes off with the shell, or the shell breaks into a million little pieces that won’t let go of the egg. Any suggestions? Thx!

• KyMom

September 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Kalee is right-buy them a week in advance and boil after 5-7 days. They’ll peel easier.

September 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Adding a pinch or two of salt to the water and eggs and bring to a boil will help with the peeling process :)

30. Cathy

September 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

I would love more recipes/ideas that feature hard boiled eggs please!

31. Miranda Merten

September 8, 2010 at 11:33 am

I also learned that you can steam eggs using the steamer basket as well, and I have been doing that for a few weeks. Works great that way too. Boiled eggs is one of the things I can get my daughter to eat without fail.

• Wendy

September 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I learned how to steam eggs from one of the Alton Brown books and now that is the only way we make them in our house. It works well with our bamboo steamer and only a small pot of water.

• moxiemaxey

September 9, 2010 at 2:26 am

I steam them as well, mainly because they peel so much easier that way.

32. bwsf

September 8, 2010 at 10:39 am

We eat a lot of eggs in this house too. My son loves the whites, but not so much the yolks, which works out just fine. I get like 3 dozen a week. We have them in some form for breakfast every day. A delicious way to get a protein boost.

Holly N.–I leave them shelled and keep them submerged in water so they’re easier to shell later on. But I *think* you can do either.

33. Holly N.

September 8, 2010 at 8:53 am

Do you shell them before you put them in the fridge or just leave them as is until you want to eat one of them?

September 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Keeping the shell on will keep it fresh, so we shell them when we are ready to eat it :)

34. Carly

September 8, 2010 at 8:24 am

Will the addition of the ice stop that gray/green film forming around the yolk? This is the exact way my Mom taught me how to hard boil eggs, but I always get that film…

September 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

You may be over cooking the egg if there is a gray/green film

• KD

September 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

i think that green film is from overcooking.

35. Kari

September 8, 2010 at 8:24 am

Thank you for these instructions! I should make up hard-boiled eggs more often… in fact, I am going to get some started RIGHT NOW.

36. Julie

September 8, 2010 at 7:24 am

Thanks for this – my preschooler is a very picky eater but (thankfully) will always eat a hard-boiled egg. The ice is a great tip – sometimes mine end up overcooked, so I will definitely give this a try!