Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pots

I've had this Chocolate Tofu Pudding recipe on weelicious for a long time, but when I sat down to come up with Halloween recipes, I couldn't resist adapting this one slightly to be a special holiday party treat. My husband and I both have fond memories of growing up eating Bill Cosby's favorite dessert: Jell-O brand chocolate pudding. It was delicious, but full of sugar, sodium coloring and preservatives.

We wanted our kid's to form their own chocolate pudding memories, we just wanted to offer them something more natural and healthy. That's partly what inspired me to come up with this recipe. The best part is that you can get your little ones involved with every step. They can help put all of the ingredients into the blender, fill the pots with the delicious, rich chocolate pudding and then, make them Halloween ready by adding the "dirt", "bugs", "worms" and any other fun, creepy, and edible things you find. Let your kids improvise and make their dessert as spooky and sweet as they want before goblin it all up! This year, have a delicious (and healthy) HalloWEEn!

Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pots  (Serves 4)

• 1 14 oz package soft silken tofu (i like house foods soft silken or mori-nu firm silken)
  • 1/3 cup pure cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar (feel free to use a little more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 24 chocolate wafers (i like using famous chocolate wafers)
  • gummy worms (i know, it’s candy. if you think of a healthier “worm” substitute, go for it. or, you can leave them out altogether.)
  • 4 small clay flower pots

1. 1. Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend to combine.
  2. 2. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again to make sure everything is incorporated.
  3. 3. Place 4 whole chocolate wafers in the bottom of the clay pots so none of the pudding goes through the hole at the bottom of the pots.
  4. 4. Divide the chocolate tofu pudding between the 4 pots.
  5. 5. Place the remaining 20 wafers in a ziploc bag and using a rolling pin, crush into small pieces resembling dirt.
  6. 6. Sprinkle the crushed wafers on top of the pots and place the gummy worms in the pots.
Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pots

Comments

1. caren

October 26, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hi,
    Can you substitute anything for the agave? I’ve heard it’s actually not so good for you?
    caren

• C. McCord

October 27, 2014 at 9:26 am

You can interchange honey and agave at a 1:1 ratio!

2. Lorelei

October 1, 2012 at 10:09 am

I have extra firm tofu in the fridge – would this work or would it really not get the right texture? I can run to the store, but thought I’d ask first.

October 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You can use extra firm, it’ll just be a thicker (firmer) pudding when it’s finished!

3. Keesha

August 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I made this today and added a very ripe banana. My kids (5,. 7 & 11 months) LOVED it! I’m so glad I found your site through pinterest–lots of great ideas here!

4. Dana Bettwy

October 22, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I love this recipe, as I do all your recipes! It’s on the healthy side and much cheaper than buying the tofu chocolate mousse at Whole Foods for $4 a cup! HOWEVER, using clay pots (intended for plants) for serving food is not recommended due to lead. Many pottery, especially the glazed pots, have lead in them. Even if the pot does not appear to have a glaze, it could still have some type of coating on the pot that contains lead. I hate to think of us moms unknowingly serving lead to our kiddos, so please put the word out and be careful NOT to use pottery not intended for food! ( :

• caren

October 26, 2014 at 7:06 pm

So what did you use instead of a clay pot?
      thanks

• Alexandre

February 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

What a super idea! I’ve been getting food maiangzes (between 2 and 5 month) since the mid-1970s. I finally learned to cut out recipes instead of trying to store all those thousands of maiangzes.Anyway, I hope you continue to link up to Weekend Cooking to remind people to follow along with your progress.

5. John

May 18, 2011 at 7:13 am

Chocolate and these jelly are so awesome my kids like these so much

6. kristen

March 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

love these! do you have any recipes that incorporate peanut butter and tofu? looking for something for dessert similar to the choco pudding. thx.

7. Laurin

October 27, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I made this with 1/3 cup of pure unsweetened cocoa and the pudding had an extremely intense chocolate flavor, almost like we were eating the cocoa straight from the can, am I using the wrong type of cocoa powder?

• Caycee

October 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

I had the same issue. Followed the pudding steps just as the recipe says and while I “cleaning” the bowl I thought it tasted like cocoa powder and not chocolate pudding. I added a little more agave but i don’t think it helped. Does it need time in the refrigerator for the taste to develop? Oh well, guess I’ll find out.

October 29, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Refrigerate it for an hour and if you feel like it still tastes like cocoa powder then use less cocoa, I use Hershey’s cocoa powder. what kind do you use?

October 28, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Did you add any sweetener?

8. Paulette @ Portrait Simple

October 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

So adorable, delicious-looking, and I’ll bet any kid would love permission to eat dirt! Awesome recipe!

9. Heidi (mamaveggie.com)

October 22, 2010 at 8:15 am

I love chocolate tofu pudding, and so does my two year old…what a cute idea. Thanks for sharing a healthy spin on a traditional (but not very good for you) favorite!

10. karyn

October 22, 2010 at 7:30 am

i made this for dinner tonite.myoungest liked turning on the food processor.all my kids–including my 20 yo dd “helped” by licking the bowl.hope we have enough to eat tonite

11. Lisa

October 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Catherine, where do you buy the Famous Chocolate Wafers? I’m having a hard time finding them and would like to use them if I can.
    Thanks!

12. Jennifer

October 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm

This was really good! Couldn’t find chocolate wafers so I used chocolate Graham crackers instead. Who knew tofu could taste like chocolate pudding?!

13. Kate

October 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Try gummy worms from Surf Sweets – partially sweetened with org fruit juice and no artificial colours.

14. Miranda Merten

October 19, 2010 at 5:48 am

I thought those were oreos, I have never seen chocolate wafers. Thanks for the healthy alterative to the jello pudding snack.