38 1939

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Lately, I've been surprised. For whatever reason, a lot of weelicious moms have been demanding a recipe for rhubarb. With all this sudden reader interest in rhubarb, how is it possible that I never created a recipe using it? Maybe I kept away from it because many rhubarb recipes call for a a good deal of sugar to off set it's mildly tart taste. But after I came across some beautiful rhubarb at our Farmers’ Market last weekend, I decided to take it home and eat some raw to see how it tasted on it's own. In it's natural state, rhubarb actually has an apple-y taste, not too sweet, but oh so good. When paired with fresh sweet strawberries, the need to use so much sugar disappears. Add a crumbly topping of oats, some lemon zest and a touch of brown sugar and rhubarb finds its perfect home.

This Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble came out of my oven around 3pm, just in time for the kids to get their midday munch on. I brought it outside for them in little bowls and they sat quietly eating it under the trees on what was a perfect spring day. When my kids are silent it's a good sign they are utterly satisfied, so I knew I hit the jackpot. Of course it wasn't long before they were both screaming for more. If my husband comes through with Mother’s Day breakfast this Sunday, I will definitely be making this again for dessert that night so we can enjoy this special treat together (along with, hopefully, a moment of peace and quiet).

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble  (4-6)

• topping:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • filling:
  • 1 cup chopped rhubarb
  • 2 cups hulled and quartered strawberries
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. 2. Place the first 5 ingredients into a bowl and combine.
  3. 3. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and crumble with your hands to form small pea-size clumps.
  4. 4. To prepare the filling, toss all the ingredients in a bowl and then place in an oil sprayed 9-inch pie dish or an 8×8 baking dish.
  5. 5. Crumble the topping on top of the filling, place dish on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.
  6. 6. Cool and serve.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Comments

1. Pingback: 10 Yummy Strawberry Recipes To Enjoy This Summer

2. Kate S

June 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm

This was good- I loved how little sugar you called for :) . I did have one question; is it really a full cup of flour in the crumble? It was still pretty “floury” after it baked- next time I make it, I think I’ll use 3/4c (and there will be a next time!) Thanks for the recipe!

3. Laurie

October 12, 2012 at 9:09 am

Yum, this looks so good!

4. Elissa

June 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Did the filling part of the recipe get deleted? I don’t see it.

July 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

It had been deleted. :( I added it back in, thanks!

5. Jill

June 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I just made this last night and enjoyed it for breakfast with some plain yogurt. Delicious! One tip I picked up from another cookbook is to soak the rhubarb in cold water for 20 minutes before cutting into bite size pieces. I didn’t do a control for comparison, but definitely no hint of bitterness in mine!

6. Brianna

July 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

I absolutely love Rhubarb!! I can’t wait to try this!!

7. Kelly

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Any suggestions for oatmeal sub??? My 19th has a long list of intolerrences one of oatmeal and flour.we use rice flour earth balance marg for the dairy! Thanks

8. Naomi

May 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

I have been searching for an “Easy” Strawberry Rhubarb recipe to try. This is it! This will be my DH’s first time every eating a rhubarb recipe. I know my kids will like it; they eat anything.

• King

February 3, 2014 at 2:27 am

You know, I have never cooked with rhburab, nor have ever eaten it. Everyone tells me I have to try it and how great it tastes in baked goods, and after looking at this recipe, I know I have got to get out there and get my hands on some!

• Naomi

May 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oh my goodness…..I am SOOOOOO sharing this recipe. I’m hoping there’ll be some left when my husband comes home from work.

9. Amy S

May 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Just made this tonight and it is awesome. Had to use frozen rhubarb, but it was still fantastic. Can’t wait to have it for breakfast!

10. Michele

May 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I made this recipe as is and it was delicious. Used frozen rhubarb and fresh strawberries. I’d like to substitute whole wheat pastery flour for the white flour next time. Would that work well?

• Sarah

May 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I used whole wheat pastry flour (I pretty much always use that in place of AP flour), and I also cut the amount of butter in half to cut some calories. I actually didn’t even use all of the topping since it seemed like a lot once I started spreading it over the fruit. It was delicious though!

11. Marzy

May 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I just made it, and it’s fantastic! Added about 1/3 cup diced apple. So good and the house smells wonderful! Thank you Catherine!

12. markedwardschr

May 10, 2011 at 2:54 am

Hi…looks amazing!!
    Do you think its ok to feed to my 10month old He has like strawberry’s before w/no alergic reaction it may be used
    Can i make a batch of it and freeze it can be a beautiful to us in many country
    Thanks!!

___________
    mark.
    chocolates

13. Theresa

May 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Any idea of what to do with these beautiful rhubarb leaves that I have left over? I hate to waste them, but don’t know what to do with them.

• Marzy

May 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Rhubarb contains oxalate, which have been reported to cause poisoning when large quantities of raw or cooked leaves are ingested.

14. Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews

May 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Oh yum! I love rhubarb. Looks so good!

15. Maria

May 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hi…looks amazing!!
    Do you think its ok to feed to my 10month old? He has had strawberry’s before w/no alergic reaction.
    Can i make a batch of it and freeze it?

Thanks!!

16. Laurie

May 4, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Excellent! Looking forward to trying this for my 3yo son (and for me)! I believe rhubarb would be found in the produce section of the grocery store, but I think it’s pretty difficult to find unless it’s in season (which is Spring).

Can’t wait to make it, maybe this weekend?

17. Seema

May 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Where can I buy rhubarb? What aisle in the grocery store would it be?

• Catherine

May 5, 2011 at 12:24 am

You can find rhubarb at your local grocery or at a farmers market

18. Nancy

May 4, 2011 at 8:12 pm

My (almost) 3 year old son saw fresh rhubarb yesterday (5/3) and asked what it was, so I bought it—first time. I’ve eaten it before, but never made anything with it. On 5/4/11 weelicious had this recipe listed. Made it today (5/4/11) and it was a hit! I do think I will add some ground flax seed to the crumb mixture next time…just to make it ‘healthier’. Thanks for such a great recipe

19. Candy

May 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

my husband is going to LOVE this. rhubarb & strawberry pie is his favorite! will try this weekend!

20. Erin

May 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

strawberrys are out of season in new zealand and when they are in the supermarkert,i dont fancy paying the high price for them,would frozzen ones work as well,or even caned? thanks

May 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm

i would use frozen but they may not be as fresh and sweet, so I would double the brown sugar :)

• Katie @ Healthnut Foodie

May 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Erin — you can use apples or blueberries instead of strawberries! We’ve done both!

21. Jeannette

May 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Looking forward to making this!!

22. Tanya

May 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Well, I know what I’m making this weekend! This looks delish and low in sugar – thank you!

• Tanya

May 12, 2011 at 10:47 am

BTW – this was great! I didn’t change the recipe at all and everyone at it up, especially the 1 yo. Thank you again!

23. Sylvia Murphy

May 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Yes! A weelicious rhubarb reciepe! We love rhubarb in this house and have some growing in our yard. Mmm mmm I can’t wait to try this! Thank you sylvia

24. Katie Newell

May 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

Catherine — Great minds think alike! I used the same placemat when I posted my version of this recipe last spring! We love rhubarb bars with cream cheese too! Made with whole wheat flour, they make great breakfasts on the go!

Melissa — you can absolutely use frozen rhubarb!!! I buy mine in bulk during it’s short season, slice it and then freeze to use year round! The health benefits are amazing! If I remember right, it is actually a vegetable! http://www.healthnutfoodie.com.

• Jeannette

May 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Hi Katie,
      Can I get the link to your rhubarb bar recipe? It sounds delicious!

• Katie @ Healthnut Foodie

May 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Jeannette — It isn’t actually on my site yet! I haven’t taken a picture! he he—I will make it this week and make it this year’s rhubarb post! Thanks for the encouragement!

25. Melissa

May 4, 2011 at 9:18 am

Can you use frozen rhubarb?

May 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

26. Sharon

May 4, 2011 at 8:43 am

Sounds delish! Hope to find some rhubarb at my farmers market.