37 2056

Peanut Butter and Jelly "Pop Tarts"

When I discovered last week that we had four (yes, four) half-eaten jars of peanut butter in the refrigerator, I was determined to not let it go to waste. There are plenty of great uses for peanut butter such as "O" Cookies, Bugs on a Log, Cold Soba Noodles and, of course, PB&J sandwiches, but when I realized that I also had a considerable amount of frozen pie dough leftover, my decision was made: homemade "pop tarts" filled with peanut butter and strawberry preserves.

The Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts we made for Valentine's Day this year went over even bigger with my kids than they did with my husband, so I'd been planning on coming up with a new variation on them. Finding out that I had a year's worth of peanut butter created the perfect excuse! Kenya and Chloe were so excited when they saw these tarts come out of the oven that they actually fought over who was going to get the first one. It was sad for me to watch them get so upset, but secretly it made me happy that they were so worked up about something I made! And once they tried these delectable treats, everyone was all smiles again -- especially me, who got our runaway peanut butter supply under control.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Pop Tarts  (Makes 12 Tarts)

• 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup preserves
  • 1 recipe pie crust
  • water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Roll the pie crust 1/4 inch thick and cut into rectangles, about 2×3 inches.
  3. 3. Place one rectangle on a lightly floured work surface, top with 1 tsp each of the peanut butter and preserves in the very center. **
  4. 4. Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border of the dough around the pb&j with the water (this will allow the two sides of the rectangle to adhere to one another).
  5. 5. Top with another rectangular piece of pie dough. Take the tines of a fork and gently press down along the edges to adhere (making sure the mixture stays inside the tart).***
  6. 6. Place the tarts on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
  8. * You can use prepared Pie Crusts too such as Pillsbury or your favorite brand
  9. ** You can also combine the peanut butter and preserves in a bowl and place 2 teaspoons of the mixture inside the tart.
  10. ** To Freeze: place tarts on a cookie sheet and freeze for one hour. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat follow steps 6-7, adding an extra 2 minutes to the baking time.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Pop Tarts

Comments

1. Pingback: “Real” Junk Food | Resolution Revamp

2. Fel.Bradley

November 25, 2012 at 11:00 am

Was just wondering what is recipe water? It’s coming up a 404 error for me..

3. amy

October 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi,
    I saw on FB that there were pumpkin poptarts on your page. Just wondering what to use for filling.

October 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I use pumpkin puree mixed with pumpkin pie spice!

4. Ruth

August 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Made these over the weekend – some w/ PB&J and some with apple butter. The husband and I liked them, but they didn’t look quite enough ‘like a pop-tart’ for my son to want to try them. I’ll send them in the lunch box and see if the lack of choice makes him more inclined! :)

5. Marta

August 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Lemon curd is another great sweet filling. I have also seen them with savory fillings. I am going to try some for the lunch boxes in the next few weeks.

6. Carlee

March 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I just made these, with whole wheat pie crust. Kids loved them. Plus I used cookie cutters to make star shapes. :)

7. Lori S

February 26, 2012 at 11:52 am

DEEEELICIOUS!!! I made some filled with PB & J and some filled with Nutella. Both were stellar, the danger is that I want to eat them all myself!

8. Tracy Palermini

February 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

Holy moly..I just made these and i will NEVER buy the crap ones from the store again!

Because i’m bad, i made a sugar wash and glazed the pop tarts, then glazed again when they came out. Soooo flipping good…

9. michelle

February 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I MADE THIS RECIPE
    FOR AUSTIN AND RYAN.
    THEY LIKE IT .
    CAN I PUT GRAPE JELLY IN IT?

February 9, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yes! Use your favorite jelly in these!

10. Anonymous

January 11, 2012 at 5:55 am

Thanks for all the great ideas I really surprised my family with my cooking with help from you

11. Ralph

January 11, 2012 at 5:52 am

I don’t really like peanut butter my self so I might try the s’more idea sounds good

12. christmas ornaments storage

November 22, 2011 at 1:32 am

I loved up to you’ll receive performed right here. The cartoon is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you would like be handing over the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as precisely the similar nearly very continuously inside of case you protect this hike.

13. Pingback: Art

14. Pingback: Cast | Heather Bakes

15. Jamie

September 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I made a few batches of these and froze them. They are awesome right out of the freezer. Thanks for the great recipes.

16. Joy

August 23, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’m responsible for my daughter’s class snack at school next week and thought these might be good…how many does this recipe make? Is one per kid (2 year olds) enough? Thanks!
    p.s. Love your site, I have recommended it to many of my friends with wee ones! :)

17. Pingback: CRAVE IT. COVET. LOVE IT. This Week: Crave Homemade Pop Tarts « The Outlaw Mom

18. Lizzy

June 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm

We made ours with chocolate and marshmellows to make a s’mores flavor. What a special treat, my husband loved them also.

• Kate

June 7, 2011 at 9:27 am

That’s a great idea! My husband is not fond of peanut butter except on plain bread so s’mores is a great alternative.

19. Natasha

May 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm

WOW!
    I just made these using gluten free all purpose flour, earth balance sticks and sun butter! The pastry is so flaky and good. Definitely my go to pastry recipe. I will use it for everything.So delicious. Thanks for the great recipe.

20. Meghna

May 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

If I bake all of these at once, how do you store them? In refrigerator, or in pantry, sealed tightly in tupperware? Also, if I baked them, and froze them, could I just reheat in oven, or toaster? Or do I have to freeze them raw? Just trying to save 20 minutes in the morning!!

May 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I would put them in a tight sealed container on the counter, or you can also refrigerate. I would freeze them raw before baking then bake them off when they are ready. If you want to bake then freeze, then you can just reheat them in the toaster oven or your oven.

21. Lisa

May 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Sounds great and I’m sure my kids will really dig these. I am going to try them with Whole Foods frozen whole wheat pie crust. I hope it works out okay! Looking forward to trying them. Thanks!

22. Cadie

May 23, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Sounds wonderful . . . I am going to try them with cashew butter and fig preserves. :)

23. Katie Newell

May 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm

These look great! We make PB&J snack bars all the time, but these look much easier to transport! I may have to try my own version on http://www.healthnutfoodie.com soon! Thanks for another great idea!!!

24. Scout1

May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi Catherine,

What brand of peanut butter do you use?

25. Lisa

May 23, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Looks good. My only caution is to read the pie crust ingredient list as most pie crusts have partially hydrogenated oils. . . a non-negotiable “no” in my kitchen.

• trisha

May 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You can make your own. Catherine has a pie crust recipe on her site. I think it was in the apple turnover recipe. :)

26. Nikki

May 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

Only a tsp of each filling? Doesn’t seem like much, especially looking at the picture.

May 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Yes it would be about 2 tsp of filling in each tart, the tarts are quite small. They are perfect for little hands and mouths :)

27. Ricki

May 23, 2011 at 9:11 am

Yum! My daughter will love this!

28. Errin K

May 23, 2011 at 7:37 am

Ohhh, my daughter is going to love these for snacks or even lunch!! And my husband is already drooling! :o)

29. kristi