Though it may seem totally intimidating and complicated to make homemade pie crust, I promise you it's actually quite easy. OK, maybe not as easy as cracking an egg or pouring milk in a bowl of cereal, but it's definitely not as challenging as say, frying a whole turkey.
When I'm making Raspberry Cream Cheese Heart Tarts or Apple Pie Turnovers, I love using this tender, flaky pie crust. Of course you can easily buy the pre-made version at the market, but there's nothing like taste of homemade -- or the satisfaction you'll get from the making it. And just think of how proud your grandma would be!
Watch this video to see how simple it is!
How to Make the Perfect Pie Crust Video (1 double crust pie dough)
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3/4 cup chilled butter
- 1/2 cup all vegetable shortening
- 6-8 tablespoons chilled cold water
Preparation1. Place the first 3 ingredients in a food processor and pulse.
2. Add cold butter and shortening using on/off turns, process until coarse meals forms.
3. Add the water 1 tbsp at a time and process until moist clumps form, adding more water 1 tsp at a time if mixture is dry.
4. Form dough into a disk, wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.