Homemade Oatmeal Cereal for Babies

When Kenya was a baby the first solid my pediatrician told me to feed him was rice cereal, a natural first choice for babies which is incredibly simple for parents to prepare. Hubby and I were so excited for this day to arrive that we set aside an entire Saturday morning to document every last second of our babies first bite. His expressions tasting, moving the food around in his mouth, and finally swallowing was absolutely priceless.

One day after opening a new box and realizing it was barely half full I thought to myself, why am I spending $4 for a box of rice cereal when I can easily make it homemade for pennies per serving? And so I did.

As Kenya progressed to eating a wider variety of foods, I added oatmeal cereal to his repertoire as well. It's amazing to me how much more fresh homemade cereals taste compared to what is sold in stores for new eaters (not to mention how much more inexpensive they are). All you need to do is puree old fashioned oats in a blender or food processor and add water. It's that simple.

So the next time you're at the grocery and reach for that container of overpriced oatmeal cereal, remember that you probably already have the one ingredient you need to make it for your baby right in your pantry!

Oatmeal Cereal  ( makes 4-6 servings )

• 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (aka 5 minute oats)

1. 1. Place oats in a food processor, pulse for 15 to 30 seconds or until finely ground.
  2. 2. Store the oat powder in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer or in a cool dark place for up to 3 months.
  3. To make 1 serving for a 5-9 month old baby
  4. 1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of the ground oats and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, if desired.
  5. 2. Whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then occasionally for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy.*

Accompaniments: * Breast milk or formula can be added to thin the mixture

Oatmeal Cereal

Comments

1. Wendy Martin

April 17, 2014 at 5:37 pm

whatever you do, stay away from rice cereals, which are laced with arsenic!

2. Laura

January 30, 2014 at 3:27 pm

But does this homemade cereal have enough iron in it? It’s my understanding that there are 2 main reasons to start solids: developmental and iron supplement. I have not been able to find oats that are iron fortified like infant cereal. Yes, oats have iron but not enough.

• Christine

April 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm

No, it does not have enough iron. I also have not been able to find oats with anywhere near as much iron as the infant cereals. I wish I could. Oatmeal cereal is the only baby food that I buy. I love making my own.

3. Jolly

January 4, 2014 at 10:23 pm

My little one will be 6 months this month and I look forward to making this. Is it necessary for the oats to sit for 3 months before cooking?

4. Lauren

November 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Do you have to boil the water?

5. kellyrobs

August 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

How long is this good for when cooked? Refrigerator and freezer?

August 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

About 5 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer!

6. Kelita

July 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm

We use a lot of steel cut oats would those work instead of the rolled oats?

July 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

Those would work, but you might need to cook it longer and it will probably come out thicker!

7. Sameera

April 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hi,
    I am writing blog on all baby related checklists and one section of my blog is on all baby food recipes. I am going to host recipes from other food blogs on my blog. Your blog is like the ‘Master Blog’ of baby food recipes and I would like to have your permission to repost your recipes or link them up on my blog.
    Thanks,
    Sameera

8. Megan

April 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Okay I don’t know what I’m doing wrong here. I doubled the recipe bc my baby usually eats about 4 T of the boxed cereal. So I boiled 1 c. water and added 4 T. of the oatmeal, but it was very very liquidy, and never really absorbed the liquid. If I am making more oatmeal should I not add more water?

9. Nancy

April 5, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hi,
    How many months were your children when you first introduced them to this cereal?

10. Joanna

April 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Isn’t this missing the iron that is generally added to baby cereals for brain development? That’s why I always purchased my baby oatmeal and made my own for everything else

• Sharon

October 3, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I know this is months later and your baby is likely eating everything you are now, but supplement cereals with iron rich foods (other recipes are on this site). “Fortified” foods are great for parents who don’t have the time or energy to find all the different foods that naturally come with these. Additionally, fortified foods are still processed, manufactured foods. Nothing’s healthier than doing it yourself (and if you have all the right components your ped. will likely agree).

• Anne

April 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

Joanna,
      I was wondering the same thing. It is simple to just make your own, but was told the oatmeal for babies is fortified with iron for babies development. Always discuss with your Dr. before following advise off the Internet.

11. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

April 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm

So simple! Will pass on to all my mommy friends Thanks!

12. Heather

April 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Do you know if this can be made with instant oats for the same effect, although quicker? I typically warm up fruit and/or breastmilk to use in my son’s oatmeal instead of water. Thanks!

April 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I guess that would work, but the old fashioned oats are less processed than quick oats, and quick oats have been previously cooked so they’ve lost some of the nutritional value. I do not suggest cooking with breastmilk, because heating it to that high of heat will kill off some of the nutrients that are important for babies. Adding it to the already cooked product s a great idea, though!

13. Kim

April 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Can I make it strictly with formula/breastmilk in place of the water?

April 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm

You could, but many of the nutrients the baby needs from the breastmilk would essentially be cooked away. So I would suggest adding the breastmilk or formula after cooking to add that nutrition and also to thin to the desired consistency!

• Natalie

August 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Can I give it to her raw w breastmilk?

• Natalie

August 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

Can I make this with old fashioned oats instead..?. I just don’t want any additives on the baby’s food….

August 6, 2013 at 12:21 pm

This recipe uses old fashioned oats!

• Kim

April 3, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I made this tonight and the baby loved it and it smelled soooo good. MUCH better than the nasty tasting boxed rice cereal!