As it gets chillier, there’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of soup. Especially with cold and flu season around the corner, we’re trying to fuel our bodies with good food. Thank goodness Hanukkah is here to remind me of the perfect medicinal treat that you can make at home – Matzah Ball Soup! And what better way to celebrate Hanukkah than with a “mini” twist on a classic dish that’s perfect for little ones? Mini Matzah Ball Soup is not only absolutely delicious but this bite sized version makes it even easier for kids to enjoy!
Why Mini Matzah Ball Soup?
Traditionally, matzah balls can be gargantuan, so you can only imagine how big they look to a little kid. To avoid intimidating my little ones with basketball-sized matzah balls in their bowls, I rolled mine into little spheres, making them perfect for tiny mouths to eat. And these matzah balls are light and airy, so even when you’re feeing under the weather, this nutritious soup won’t weigh you down!
How to Make Mini Matzah Ball Soup
- Large eggs, whisked
- Vegetable oil
- Seltzer, club soda or sparkling water
- Matzah meal
- Kosher salt
- Chicken stock
1. Prepare Matzah Ball Mixture: To make the matzah balls, place the eggs, oil, seltzer, matzah meal and salt in a bowl and mix until combined. Cover the matzah mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
2. Form Mini Matzah Balls: With wet/damp hands, roll matzah balls using about 1 teaspoon of the mixture for each ball. Place them on a parchment lined tray until you’ve formed all of them.
3. Boil Matzah Balls: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the matzah balls into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the balls float to the surface and are soft and fluffy.
4. Prepare Soup: In a separate pot, heat the chicken stock. Add in sliced carrots and other accompaniments, if desired. Once vegetables are tender, add the matzah balls to the soup.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Chicken Soup & Rice
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Roast Vegetable Soup
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Asian Chicken Soup
Whether you’re celebrating a holiday or simply looking for a comforting soup to warm you up from the inside out, Mini Matzah Ball Soup is the winner. It’s easy to make and full of flavor. Warm up your winter nights with this recipe and let me know in the comments what you think!
Images by Ivan Solis
Mini Matzah Ball Soup
- To make the matzah balls, place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Cover the matzah mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- With wet/damp hands, roll matzah balls using about 1 tsp of the mixture for each ball.
- Place the matzah balls in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the balls are soft and fluffy.
- Heat the chicken stock in a separate pot with carrots and celery (if desired) and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the matzah balls into the stock and serve.