Crock Pot Ribs

We've been having a crazy busy summer running around from our house, to camp, to activities all over the city and more. Between work and kids, by the time I get home at the end of the day the last thing I've got energy to do is make dinner. Especially when it's so hot outside.

Thank goodness for the slow cooker (also known as a crock pot)! It really is a mom's secret weapon in the kitchen. Literally, all I had to do for this recipe was sprinkle a touch of salt and coat the racks of ribs with my favorite barbeque sauce at 8am, and by 5pm me and my two little munchkins were nibbling away on the most tender, meat-falling-off-the-bone barbeque baby back ribs you've ever tasted. The best part is, no matter how hot it is this summer, you won't even break a sweat making these!

Crock Pot Ribs  (Serves 4)

• 1 3-4 pound country style pork ribs, also known as baby back ribs (about 2 racks)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup bbq sauce plus additional for serving (my favorite is smokin willie’s)

1. 1. Place ribs in a crock pot and sprinkle both sides with salt.
  2. 2. Pour BBQ sauce over the ribs and coat the ribs WELL with the sauce.
  3. 3. Cover the slow cooker (aka crock pot) and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
  4. 4. Baste with BBQ sauce if desired and serve.
Crock Pot Ribs

Comments

1. Alexandra

August 2, 2013 at 2:57 pm

We were all in heaven at dinner tonight when these luscious and tasty ribs were served, as always with this dish and so many others from weelicious. Thank you for this “knock your socks off” dish!!!

2. Pingback: crock pot recipes

3. Brooke

December 11, 2012 at 1:36 am

Made these last night. Fell off the bone. Used a rub and BBQ sauce i use when grilling ribs, and the sauce lost something. It lacked the punch it usually has. Needed extra sauce to put on the ribs afterwards. Will make again

4. Kelli

October 1, 2012 at 9:15 am

Do I need to defrost the ribs or can I put them in frozen?

October 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

You could put them in frozen. They’ll just take longer to cook!

5. Ruth

September 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

this is the only way we make ribs now! We just dry season the ribs, let them cook on low for hours, and then about 2 hours before we want to eat, I add the sauce, making sure to get some on all the meat. They literally just fall off the bone they get so tender.

6. Nicole

December 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Great, simple recipe! I think 6 hours on low is long enough, the BBQ sauce started to burn after that time.

• Whitney

August 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I agree. I’ve made this recipe several times and if I go anywhere near 8 hours, the sauce burns. I think the age of your slow cooker makes a tremendous difference. The low setting on newer ones is actually similar to the high setting on the old ones (for food safety purposes). I’ve cooked large quantities of the same recipe in two different slow cookers (one old and one new) and had the newer one finish cooking several hours before the old one.

7. Pingback: How To Cook Ribs The Right Way » Barbeque Ribs

8. Pingback: How to Cook Barbeque Ribs » Barbeque Ribs

9. Paola

October 29, 2010 at 9:25 am

Just came across your website and I´m loving it :D
    I have one question regarding this recipe… all the liquid you put is just ONE cup of bbq sauce and let it cook for 8 hrs?
    Wouldn´t it burn?
    I´m sorry, I´m not good cooking with the slow cooker and had that happened to me once :(
    Could you clarify that for me please?
    Thanks!!

October 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

No it will not burn, it is cooking on low. Place the ribs bone side down and they will come out nice and juicy – the juice will come out of the ribs so use that to baste the ribs after ;)

10. Julie

August 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm

My daughter has food allergies — milk, egg, and nuts. Can you recommend a BBQ sauce that would be safe for her?
    Thanks for all that you do!

• Whitney

October 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I know this comment comes quite late, but my son has all those same allergies and I can’t think of a bbq sauce that WOULDN’T be safe. Most are just tomato paste and spices – nothing nut based. Country Bob’s All-Purpose sauce is great but when I’m using a lot for something like this I just go cheap and buy Kraft brand.

11. Jessica

August 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Sounds great! My crock pot is small. Ok to cut and overlap these to fit?

August 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Yes it is :) just remember that the ribs on the bottom will cook faster than the ones on top so I suggest rotating half way or laying them out in a way where they could get even cooking.

12. Janine

August 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Hi! this sounds so yummy but we don’t eat pork. i would love to try this with beef ribs. would you know how long i would have to cook these in the crock pot?
    janine

August 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm

About the same time :)

• Janine

August 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm

off to find some good beef ribs now.

13. Em

August 19, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I just wanted to note that there is a difference between “country style ribs” and “baby back ribs.” Country style are cut from the blade end of the loin. Technically, they aren’t ribs at all. They are also very fatty.
    Baby backs are cut from the loin section and result in a much smaller, leaner rack than say spare or country style ribs.

Just wanted to clarify, because while both are tasty, I believe there is a big difference in quality of the meat.

We love to do our baby back ribs in the slow cooker. I add onion and garlic to the mixture as well. They are fall-off-the-bone delicious!

(sorry for the long winded explanation too! Phew!)

14. Rosie Gutie

August 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’ll let you know how it comes out once I prepare it! Thanks…love your website!!!

• Mick

June 9, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Well….how did it turn out?