Spookie Smoothie

I'll start off by saying that I'm pretty lucky to have kids who eat their greens. But even if I didn't, I think this Spooky Green Smoothie would be irresistible to them. If you have a kid who avoids eating his or her greens, this drink treat (just in time for Halloween) may just be the answer to your prayers.

On a vegetable nutrition ranking, spinach is way up at the top in terms of vitamin and mineral richness. Packed with Vitamins K and A, magnesium and folate -- just to name just a few -- there's no doubt why Popeye ate so much of the stuff. It gives this delicious drink a beautiful green color as well as a mild, sweet flavor that will surprise you. With the added (healthy) sweetness from banana and agave, this smoothie will be the perfect Hallo-WEE-N treat for your kids and their friends this holiday. My hope is that they like it so much, you'll be making it year round!

Spookie Smoothie  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups milk ( vanilla rice milk is my favorite in this one)
  • 4 cups fresh spinach, packed into the measuring cup
  • 2 large bananas
  • 1 tablespoon honey or agave

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree on high for 1 minute until smooth.
Spookie Smoothie

Comments

1. Dolly

March 31, 2014 at 8:05 am

Wow! Soo yummy n soo healthy! Thanx!

2. Pingback: Healthy Smoothies Recipes: Spinach Banana Green Monster Smoothie – Weelicious | Bezeer CookVid

3. Talib

February 5, 2014 at 2:08 am

I have 3 q’s Was that a 2 qt. jar? What amount of rice, or ratio of water to rice? And, In what sort of light did you leave the bttole sit while soaking and while sprouting? Thanks for the great work, it’s very helpful.

4. katierodr

November 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm

This is great — my 5 year old veggie hater loved it. She also loves your green popsicles/smoothie. Smoothies seem to be the only way to get some greens in her, and she helps make the smoothies so she knows exactly what’s going in it.

5. senegoid

August 23, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I always use the leftovers to pour into Popsicle molds. My two year old likes drinking this through a straw but even better as a frozen treat, Thanks for the recipe!

6. Pingback: Recipe Box: Green Smoothie | Scoot A Doot

7. Darlene

January 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm

my kids(2.5 and 1.5) both love this green smoothie, i think its yummy too!

8. Darlene

January 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Can’t wait to try out more of your recipes! The family loved the chocolate chip banana loaf.

9. Luck

November 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I had my doubts…I was like…..”Spinach in a milkshake?!!” …. but, this is one of THE BEST smoothies I’ve ever tasted!

10. michele

November 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I noticed several moms saying the spinach was how they get their iron. Please take a look online or elsewhere for good sources of iron as spinach is NOT one due to the oxalic acid it also contains. Sources of iron you can actually use are kale, collard greens, broccoli, meat, and many others.

11. Marian

November 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

I haven’t seen anyone answer the numerous requests for how much frozen spinach to use. I think 1/2 to 2/3 of 10 oz frozen spinach is comparable to 4 cups fresh. If someone has a better idea, let me know. Thanks!

November 7, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hmmm I would be wary of using frozen spinach for this! Frozen spinach has beeb blanched and is full of water. Even if you squeeze out all the liquid it might still be too mushy for this drink! However, I would would say that 4 cups raw spinach is probably about 1 cup cooked. So I would use about 1 cup of the frozen spinach!

12. Pingback: Witch’s brew adds spice to your Halloween night | My Family Blog

13. Pingback: Witches brew adds spice to your Halloween night | My Family Blog

14. Pingback: The Mamas’ Link Round-Up: Halloween Edition! « Those Young Moms

15. Ukraine escorts

July 25, 2012 at 5:38 am

Simply choose to point out your current document is just as tonishing. The particular lucidity inside your submit is merely striking so i can suppose you happen to be a professional during this industry. Very well using your permission i want to pick up your own really simply syndication feed to take care of to date by using newly arriving article. Appreciate it the million in addition to be sure to continue the some sort of uthentic operate.

16. Brenda

March 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Perfect for St Patrick’s Day too! Just made them and my kids (and hubby) are asking for more!

17. Pingback: Daniel Lett

18. food franchise business

January 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite sure I’ll learn lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

19. smoothies

November 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm

What i don’t understood is in fact how you are not really a lot more neatly-favored than you might be right now. You are very intelligent. You understand thus significantly with regards to this topic, produced me in my opinion imagine it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested except it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. Always care for it up!

20. Amanda

October 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I have made a smoothie similar to this and added an orange instead of banana. It almost takes like a dreamsicle popsicle from my childhood. It’s delicious!

21. sarah

October 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

can’t wait to make this!

22. Rosa de Bulgaria

July 29, 2011 at 12:56 am

The Union Hotel is out favorite restaurant. We live in the Santa Rosa area and look forward to heading away to quiet Occidental and especially to the serenity of the Union Hotels patio with the redbud, lilac, and bubbling fountain. The food is fantastic piping hot (pizza dough) bread sticks arrive immediately along with the French bread in the bread basket. The polenta is so creamy (because its made with real cream). The shrimp pasta is loaded with prawns and the pasta is cooked al dente. The brushetta is the best we have ever had! The Friday night clam chowder (minnestone option) is creamy, buttery, and incedibly generous with clams. Portions are large. The chicken (organic) on the menu really is a full half of a chicken. Our last visit we tried panini from the panini menu (3 choices from a full page of fillings). We tried carmelized onion, roasted red pepper (sweet!), and avocado which was layered with crispy fresh arugula. And one of our favorite desserts is the tiramisu a huge piece creamy with mascarpone layered with Wolf coffee and Kalua soaked sponge cake. Comfortable, delicious food, full portioned meals, at very reasonable prices.

23. Sales Jobs

June 14, 2011 at 3:37 am

Good blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes as well as the details are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which ought to do the trick! Have a nice day!

24. Meghna

January 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Delish! My husband and I devoured ours and turned the rest into popsicles for our daughter. We did add an apple to the mix and used Vanilla Almond Milk. Didn’t find it overly sweet at all!

25. Tamara

November 15, 2010 at 2:36 am

The smoothie is a lifesaver! I don’t hide vegetables from my one-year-old, but she can be finnicky when it comes to eating them. She will drink almost anything I give her though, especially if it has fruit. We’ve had fun with this, swapping out the banana for pears one day, and peaches another.

Question: do you use spinach that has already been cooked before giving it to your kids? I always steam ours before using it in the smoothie. I’m a bit paranoid about giving it to my daughter raw because of the salmonella and E.coli scares with spinach a few years ago.

November 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Yes I used raw spinach in this recipe, i washed them thoroughly too.

26. Christy

November 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Sounded interesting so I made it this morning. I haven’t liked bananas since I was little, but really found this smoothie enjoyable! Thank you for the recipe! And thank you everyone for all the variation ideas!

27. Mikal

November 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I read this post. AND then re-read it. I am so sorry I was such a skeptic. I thought that this would be truly disgusting. LOL! I made it last night and used regular 2% milk…we didn’t have anything else. It was really good! Our kids all drank it! My husband who hates any veggies that resemble trees (think broccoli, califlower, asparagus) are disgusting. I am always trying to find veggies that he will eat and he actually really liked it too.

I don’t have a fancy blender or processor, just my $20 one from Target and it worked just perfectly. Blended everything to a nice creamy consistancy.

Oh, I did add a few ice cubes to make it colder and more like a blended drink.

Great job! Oh, and I tried the steel cut oats in the crock pot. Worked great!

28. Nicole

November 4, 2010 at 7:45 am

I can’t believe I finally got my 19 month old son to eat a green vegetable…let me correct my self…DEVOUR a green vegetable! THANK YOU!!!!

29. Vanessa

November 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

just made this right now, so yummy I used vanilla rice milk and left out the agave, will make more of this stuff!! my son drank it all:)

30. Jennifer

November 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That was yummy! I didn’t think it would be good, honestly. Especially since I left out the sweetener. I’m still in the mindset that green=gross, haha! My 3 year old, who used to LOVE green smoothies, won’t even touch it, of course :P

31. Shelley

October 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

Has anyone figured out how much frozen spinach to use (vs. the raw)?

32. Heather @ Creative Family Moments

October 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Yes, I definitely love the freezing idea. I make fruit bars all the time by freezing smoothies, I love this idea!

33. Sarah

October 24, 2010 at 4:53 pm

My kids love smoothies but wasn’t sure how they would react to this. They loved it and asked for more!

34. Ashlee

October 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Honestly, the idea of a spinach and banana smoothie was a little questionable to me (and I LOVE spinach!) but I was curious. I made this at lunch today (halved the recipe to make 2 servings) and it was delicious and EXTREMELY well-received by my 16 month old son.

After reading some reviews, I used half vanilla rice milk and half cow’s milk, given that the rice milk I had purchased had 18g of sugar in it.

Definitely a keeper!

35. jigna

October 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

can vanilla rice milk be replaced by vanilla almond milk?

October 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm

36. Lisa

October 21, 2010 at 7:48 pm

qvc.com just happens to have the Blendtec blender on easy pay right now–4 easy payments of 99 and change, I think, for anyone that is interested.

37. Cyndi

October 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

My son can’t have bananas. Any suggestions on what to substitute?

38. jeannine

October 20, 2010 at 11:37 pm

frozen spinach will give it a bad spinach taste. use only fresh.

• Julie

October 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

We used frozen 2 days in a row and my 1 and 3 year-olds, as well as their mommy ;) thought it was delicious.

39. Jaime

October 20, 2010 at 8:09 pm

oh this will be perfect for my halloween kids party!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Lisa

October 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Honestly, I think the only one that will pulverize Kale are the Vitamix or the Blendtech blenders. Both are priced right around $400. I’ve been drooling over both of them. Maybe I’m wrong and someone else will have a less expensive option. DH and I are saving our pennies to buy one.

41. angela

October 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I would love to know if anyone has a blender recommendation for something less expensive than the vitamix, (which I have also been tempted by). I need something that will pulverize kale.

• Nadine

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm

For many years I have been successfully blending raw and steamed kale, and other tough veggies,(raw carrots are pretty hard) in my $125 KitchenAid blender from bed, bath & beyond. It does an adequate job. I know it is difficult to justify spending $400 on a blender, but anyone I know that has one, does not regret it.

• Lavanda

October 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Try the Healthmaster endorsed by Montel Williams it is just as good as the Vitamix but half the cost – Google Healthmaster to purchase online – they are also sold at bed bath & beyond but you can’t purchase the extended warranty

42. Dawn

October 20, 2010 at 7:13 pm

My 14 month old daughter and I LOVE this one! I’m always trying to find ways to get more iron- and this one tastes great!

43. kristie

October 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm

what type of blender do you use? i have been interested in purchasing a VitaMix Blender, though the price scares me a bit! i have used my regular blender before for greens in smoothies and didnt like the consistency. wondered if the VitaMix blends more smoothly?

• Amy

October 22, 2010 at 9:05 am

I highly recommend the Vitamix. I got one last spring and use it pretty much every day, sometimes more than once. I make smoothies (SO smooth), soups, chop veggies, applesauce, healthy ice creams, nut butters, breadcrumbs, whole wheat flours, etc… LOVE it. For me, worth the investment.

• kristie

October 25, 2010 at 9:24 pm

awesome…thank you! now i just have to find a VitaMix that might be on sale…$5-600 is still hard to swallow! but, thank you all!

• globalmama76@yahoo.com

October 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I finally splurged on a Vitamix last year and I’m so glad I did. You’d be amazed at what it can blend. We use it about 4 times a week so I think it’s worth the price. The spooky smoothie turned out perfectly smooth.

• Vanessa

October 21, 2010 at 10:36 am

My mom SWEARS by her Vitamix and has been using it for probably 15 years now.

44. Vanessa

October 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm

what brand of vanilla rice milk do u use? can it be any kind? can’t wait to try this smoothie;)

45. Jenny

October 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Whoah. Way too sweet for us (my 3-yr-olds and I). Any ideas on how to cut the sweetness? We added some frozen berries (to make it cold), then lots of lemon juice. Drank it and kinda liked it then.

• Melissa M

October 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I only buy unsweetened brown rice milk because my daughter has dietary issues. Since rice is a starch, I would think some of that sugar can be attributed to that. I’ve tried almond (the one without soy, because she can’t have soy) and she can’t have that. We had a terrible experience with soy, so I’ve very causious about trying other milks.

• Liza

October 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

We use sweetened & unsweetened hemp milk for smoothies (no dairy, soy or nuts for our house. You could skip the “milk” altogether, just use a little water & fruit. I use avocado to add creaminess. Pineapple covers the bitter taste well for any picky little ones & is usually pretty juicy.

• Nadine

October 20, 2010 at 4:25 pm

check the label on the rice milk, usually very high in sugar. read my post above for tips.

46. Sarah@natural diabetic

October 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

We get in smoothie kicks, and then get out of them. But I’m getting my blender out right now to make one for an after school snack. Thanks!

47. Nadine

October 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Hi Ladies, as a Nutritionist I recommend not limiting your greens to just spinach! Spinach is great, but kale is a POWERHOUSE due to the fact that it is a cruciferous veggie full of some VERY impressive disease fighting phyto-nutrients. Very easy to grow in your garden too! There are several dark leafy cruciferous greens to explore that you can steam lightly to add to smoothies, along with fresh greens. No flavor change. Steaming enhances the bio-availabilty of some of the nutrients. Think CRUCIFEROUS!!
    Also, many brands of rice milk contain a fair amount of sugar. There are healthier not-so-sweetened nut or seed milk options out there that provide more protein per serving as well.
    I enjoy and appreciate this website immensely, lots of great tips and recipes! I am always impressed when Mom’s go GREEN!! (Don’t forget yourselves and your husbands too):)

• Virginia

November 1, 2010 at 6:57 pm

do u suggest light vanilla soy milk?

November 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm

sounds great! any type will work :)

October 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

I use the Trader Joes brand vanilla rice milk and it has 12 grams of sugar for 1 cup, cow’s milk has 11 grams of milk for 1 cup. My kids will drink either milk, but for this smoothie the vanilla rice milk is really delicious!

• Vanessa

October 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

I plan on using unsweetened plain soymilk and adding a little vanilla extract. I would rather reduce the sugar content as much as possible too.

• Stacey

October 20, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on other greens. I have only tried spinach smoothies because that is generally what I always have on hand in my fridge for salads, but maybe I will give Kale a chance.

• Katherine

November 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Kale is awesome in this….My son and I have a couple of these a week and we alternate between spinach and kale.

48. Stacey

October 20, 2010 at 10:46 am

I have 4 5-yr olds (triplets plus one from adoption) and they like cooked spinach a lot but they also all love “green smoothies”. I usually use raw spinach…the kind in the large clear plastic tubs which is usually organic. I also add bananas and milk. But, sometimes I will add other frozen fruit, such as mangos or pineapple. I have also added plain greek yogurt to boost the protein content.

• giselle

October 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

The smoothie sounds good! I might try it..

Stacey – your life sounds amazing – do you have a blog?

49. Barbi

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

Where is a good place to buy “spookie cups” to put them in?

• Stacey

October 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

A lot of times I see halloween themed cups at the dollar store.

• Barbi Percle

October 20, 2010 at 11:00 am

Thanks!

50. Betsy

October 20, 2010 at 10:05 am

Just made this using baby raw spinach. I will try frozen next time. Any guesses how much to use?
    I also left out the sweetener. It was still gobbled up by my three kids!

51. Erica

October 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

Alternative, you can pour into popsicle molds and make “green popsicles”!! My son LOVES them.

52. Amy

October 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ohhh.. Love the idea of this one! But what type of spinach do you recommend? (Forgive me I am a spinach newbie…I only have worked with salad spinach and frozen spinach in my lasagna) :)

October 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I used fresh spinach for this batch :)

53. Janet

October 20, 2010 at 7:20 am

Sounds like a perfect way to get my second son to eat, or drink, his iron. Just once question… is the spinach cooked or raw baby spinach?

October 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm