Red Bell Pepper Hummus Recipe

Red Bell Pepper Hummus

Red Bell Pepper Hummus from Weelicious

Yum

Whether the kids want to watch the entire game like their parents do or not, one thing you want to make sure of is that everyone eats (and enjoys) the same food.

This thick and creamy dip has a beautiful bright red color and rich creamy flavor, but instead of using a ton of oil to thicken it I add sweet roasted bell peppers which make for an equally smooth texture while eliminating a lot of the fat and calories that define most football fare.

So while the kids are running around having fun and the parents are enjoying the commercials -- I mean the game! -- a dip like this Red Bell Pepper Hummus with tons of cut up veggies on the side are a great way to keep everyone's bellies full of healthy foods that are darn good too.

Red Bell Pepper Hummus  (makes 1 1/2 cups )

Let's get ready for some football!!!! Super Bowl is here and that means it's time to dig in to some classic tasty game-time grub. Whether the kids want to watch the entire game like their parents do or not, one thing you want to make sure of is that...

• 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 of a 12 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers (about 1 pepper)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
Red Bell Pepper Hummus

Comments

1. Pingback: CSA Adventures – November Week 1 | Soul Munchies

2. Jana

September 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

Love your ideas! Can I make this hummus without tahini?

• C. McCord

September 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

Yep! You can just omit it, but it will change the flavor. Sometimes I use peanut or sunflower butter instead!

3. Hilary

April 9, 2013 at 8:26 am

Just wondering about the amount of garbanzo beans … We’re in Europe so our can sizes can be a bit different. Finally found tahini here, though, and excited to make my own hummus. Thanks so much!

April 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

1 can of garbanzo beans is just about 1 1/2 cups!

• Hilary

April 13, 2013 at 8:24 am

Great–thank you!

4. Priscilla Basilio

February 1, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Oh my gosshhhh! This is perfect for the party I’m going to on Sunday. I might not even share it…

5. allyson

February 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Any tips for roasting a red pepper? Was thinking about making this earlier (I have two peppers I need to use) and saw your posting.

• Catherine

February 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I roasted them over our gas burner….

Simply turn on the burner to medium heat and use tongs to hold the peppers over the burner to roast. There will be some popping as the pepper roasts. Roast until skin is blackened.
      Then, place the peppers in a bag or in a bowl that is covered. And, allow them to steam.
      If you don’t have a gas stove, or want an easier way to roast peppers, slice them in half and lay them on a piece of foil, cut-side down.

Place in the oven, heated to 425 degrees. Roast for 15-25 minutes, until the skins begin to blister.

6. aida mollenkamp

February 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Yes to homemade red pepper hummus! That texture looks amazing!