Nut-Free Nutella Matzo Sandwiches

Nut-Free Nutella Matzo Sandwiches

When I was a kid, I loved being invited by my Jewish friends to take part in their holiday celebrations. It was so much fun participating in and learning about the traditions of another culture and Yom Kippur, Hanukkah and Passover were among the holidays I remember most. At Passover I was always endlessly jealous during lunchtime as I sat in our cafeteria eating whatever was being served that day, while my Jewish classmates ate from their brown bag lunches featuring a variety of Passover foods including matzo sandwiches. Usually oozing with peanut butter and jelly, they always looked so crispy and enticing.

Many years later I found my husband and the love of my life and guess what? He turned out to be Jewish! So I guess I was destined to keep enjoying matzo after all. When I was thinking about my dream Passover school lunch sandwich, the idea for using Nutella immediately popped into my head. However, my son's class is nut-free and so I needed to make my own chocolate spread that was hazelnut-free. The taste of what I came up with is slightly different than traditional Nutella, but it's amazing in its own right and I don't know many kids who wouldn't enjoy melted chocolate mixed with sunflower butter inside some crunchy matzo for an awesome midday treat!

(Question: does one call nut-free Nutella just Ella?)

Nut-Free Nutella Matzo Sandwiches  (makes 3/4 cup spread)

• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
  • 4 matzah sheets

1. 1. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-60 seconds, until melted, stirring halfway through.
  2. 2. Add the sunflower seed butter to the bowl, and stir until thoroughly combined.
  3. 3. Gently break matzah sheets into 4 pieces each, spread with the faux Nutella mixture and sandwich together.
Nut-Free Nutella Matzo Sandwiches

Comments

1. Pingback: Fun Back To School Ideas & Organization Tips | OnlineLabels.com Blog

2. Meg

April 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

This is delicious! I substituted Wowbutter (toasted soy butter) since my daughter is also allergic to sunflower seeds. It turned out great!

3. lisa

March 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I love Nutella…besides we Italian invented it :)
    great website, of great inspiration for an italian mom of two.

4. Dana

March 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Wow and yum! As a Jewish kid I didn’t feel so lucky with my oozy PB+J matzoh, however if my mom gave me Nutella or your ‘Ella version, that would’ve been a different story :)
    -Dana

5. Kasey

March 19, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Passover never involved nutella matzo sandwiches for me, but I LIKE it!

6. Danielle

March 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Looks very tasty. But I wanted to mention that sunflower seeds (and products using them) are only kosher for Passover for some. Some Jews avoid kitniot on Passover as well as chametz, and sunflower seeds count as kitniot. (That said, while I will be avoiding kitniot, I am not making my toddler do so, as that seems like far too much to ask of a small child – so maybe I’ll make it for her. *grin*)

7. Sharon

March 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

@Kristi – I go with the Notella!

I might even try this with Tahina – that is plentiful here.

8. Shannon

March 18, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank You!!!
    I wish I could have Nutella, but I can’t eat hazelnuts. Just never occured to me to make it with another “butter!”
    Xoxo

9. Kristi

March 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

I would call it Notella! i’ll have to give this a try, thank you. We are a nut -free hhld.

March 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

haha thats cute!

10. Sunny

March 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the idea of anyone being jealous of all the matzoh we had to eat growing up *8 days in a row, many times a day* :) but now as an adult I do enjoy the traditions–including the yummy fillings on our matzoh sandwiches. Will have to give this one a try.

11. jkdm81

March 18, 2013 at 11:40 am

Our allergist has recommended us to avoid sunflower seeds for now. Do you think pumpkin seeds would work in this, or soybutter?

March 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Yes, I think either of those would be great!

12. Christy

March 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

Thank you so much!!!! My youngest is allergic to nuts and loves chocolate. This is a great alternative for him. Will make it today:)

13. Diedre

March 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

What a wonderful idea. I never buy nutella because of the ingredients and make my own at home. I just made your pumpkin seed butter yesterday could I use that instead of sunflower seed butter? I love your website and cookbook. I look forward to your next book as well. Thanks

March 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Yes, I think that would work great!