You should have seen Kenya’s face when I asked him if he wanted to eat a bowl. I think he thought I was crazy until I showed him these Cheese Crisps shaped like bowls. They’re a ton of fun for kids because you can fill them with fresh or dried fruit, nuts, olives, cubes of cheese and more. Whenever you think outside of the box with food, kids tend to love it!
Recently, my mother-in-law, also known as Viv, was at the Larchmont Farmer’s Market here in LA, and couldn’t resist buying us a box of 5 large cheese crackers (yummy, yes, but at $8 they were no bargain). When she gave them to us I told her they were known in Italy as frico. What is a frico you may ask? Basically, it’s grated parmesan cheese baked on a cookie sheet which melts in the oven and then cools to become crispy, light “crackers”. The best part is that it only takes minutes to whip up and kids LOVE it!
There are a lot of fun ways to serve frico. While it’s still warm you can mold the pieces into all kinds of shapes. You can drape them over the bottom of a bowl until they firm up into little cups and then fill them with grapes or olives; fold them over a rolling pin and put strawberries inside; roll them into a tuille or let them cool flat and place on a bowl of soup or eat them just as they are. No matter what you decide to do, they’re fun to make with kids and even better to eat!
- 1 Wedge parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shred the parmesan wedge on the large wholes of a box grater.
- Place 2 tbsp of the shredded cheese on a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet and flatten the cheese with your finger tips into a 3 inch circle.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- As soon as they come out of the oven remove with a thin spatula to an upside down cup or ramekin. You could also roll them into tuille or lay over a rolling pin.
- Fill the cheese cups with your little ones favorite fruit, olives, nuts, salad or just munch away as they are!
We love these, they are better than crackers or chips. No problem with storing them – there won’t be any left!
how do you store these
How long wll these stay good? A day or maybe a week? Can’t wait to try.
[…] I asked him if he wanted to eat a bowl. I think he thought I was crazy until I showed him these Cheese Crisps shaped like bowls. They’re a ton of fun for kids becasue you can fill them with fresh or […]