If the theory that everything tastes better on a stick is true then this recipe solidifies the fact! Pizza Lollipops are super easy to make with basic pizza ingredients, a popsicle stick and maybe a pepperoni on top.
It’s Friday night and in our house that means Pizza Night!
After a long week of getting up early for school, racing around to after school activities, homework and hectic schedules, it’s nice to pick out a movie together (last week we watched Ratatouille and the week before it was Wall-e), spread out a picnic blanket on the living room floor, grab some cut up veggies and make one of our favorite pizza recipes using pre-made or dough we’ve made on our own plus Veggie Heavy Pizza Sauce. Sometimes that means Quilt pizza, Pizza Balls or Green Machine Pizza or recently these whimsical Pizza Party Lollipops.
We’ve always got a load of wooden popsicle sticks laying around as the kids are super into crafting with them or me making Kulfi Ice Pops, Pancake Sausage Muffins on a Stick or Strawberry Yogurt Ice Pops, so I thought it would be fun to take pizza dough, have the kids help me make ropes out of it, wind one around a wooden stick, flatten it on a parchment lined baking sheet and then top with tons of cheese.
You can top them with any type of good melting cheese or even a combination you enjoy like mozzarella, cheddar, gouda or fontina like I did here. They’re not only cute to eat, but since you get to dip them in tomato sauce it’s a ton of fun too.
When I make too many I just pop them in the freezer to take out a few as a snack when the kids get home from school. And voila, the perfect afternoon snack!
Don’t feel intimidated to make these. They’re absolutely worth it especially when you see the big smiles on your families face after eating them! Whip a batch of these Pizza Lollipops up for your next #FridayNightPizzaNight to create your own fun!
Friday Night Pizza Party Lollipops
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 pound fontina cheese, grated
- 16 wooden popsicle sticks
- 16 pepperoni slices, or other desired toppings
- pizza sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Divide the pizza dough into 16 pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Insert a wooden popsicle stick into the center of each pizza dough ball, flatten into a disk, and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle grated cheese onto each pizza lollipop, top with a pepperoni slice or other desired toppings, and extra cheese.
- Place the pizza lollipops in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the pizza dough is golden brown.