Dairy Free Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream is filled with sweet, ripe cherries and rich chocolate! It’s so delicious, it’s hard to believe that it’s entirely dairy free.
My husband is the master dessert maker in our household. Chia pudding, cakes made from any fresh fruit you can think of. You name it, he can do it. So for Father’s Day this year, we decided to get him the ultimate dessert making machine. An Ice Cream Maker! Let me tell you, he is absolutely OBSESSED. This bad boy whips up the most delicious ice cream that you’ve ever had. It’s so fast and easy, not sure how we went so long without it!
Since Gemma was born, she’s struggled with sensitive skin. A couple of years ago, we finally discovered that she had a dairy intolerance that was causing her skin issues. We immediately changed her diet and though her skin almost instantly started healing, we quickly found that she was starting to miss some of her favorite foods. Cheese, milk and of course, her all time favorite, chocolate ice cream.
A few nights ago, Kenya and Chloe were chowing down on some dark chocolate ice cream after dinner, when I noticed Gemma so desperately eyeing their sweet treats! So we whipped out the new ice cream maker and made Gemma some of her own dairy free ice cream right then and there. Scooped out with our favorite ice cream scooper, the result was absolute heaven on earth. Kenya and Chloe ditched their ice cream and we all decided we preferred this recipe to the store bought, dairy one — no contest!
There’s nothing better than a big scoop of ice cream to beat the summer heat. I know for our family, during the summer, we’re always reaching for something cold to eat – whether it be a smoothie, nice cream or a frozen chocolate peanut butter banana bite.
This Dairy Free Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream is out of this world delicious and I’m so happy to have this one in our frozen treat rotation any time of year. Let me know if you try it!
Dairy Free Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream
- ice cream maker
- 1 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup oat, almond or soy milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar you can use white or brown sugar instead
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cherries or 10 oz bag frozen cherries, defrosted and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips or chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine and make sure there are no lumps and sugar is dissolved. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to develop.
- Whisk the mixture one more time and pour into bowl of ice cream maker. Prepare ice cream based on ice cream maker instructions (my ice cream maker takes 50 minutes).
- 5 minutes before the ice cream is complete add the cherries, any additional cherry juice and chocolate chips or walnuts if desired.
- Serve immediately if you prefer a softer texture similar to soft serve or cover and freeze if a harder consistency is desired.