Kids love anything on a stick! Or so I've found. I would have never believed it before Kenya started eating solids, but it's true. Popsicles, corn dogs, shish kabobs....put it on a stick and watch what happens! It just makes eating so much more enjoyable for them.
For this chicken-on-a-stick recipe, I added a dipping sauce to increase the fun factor! Even better is that this recipe is totally healthy. When I brought them over recently to a play group Kenya goes to, the kids were yelling, "I want a chicken stick"! The funnier part was watching the parents craving a bite, but thinking it's wasn't good for their waistline. Not this version! It's low in fat and high in protein and fiber, especially if you use a wholesome cereal for the coating. The next time you want a super easy recipe for a party for kids and their parents or even just for a night at home, make this one and you'll have tons of happy tummies!
Chicken on a Stick (Makes 8 Sticks)
- 2 Cups Cornflakes, Whole Wheat Flakes or other Flakey Cereal
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders, remove white stringy tendon
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Pkg Popsicle Sticks
- Vegetable Canola Oil Spray
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the cereal and salt in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin OR place in a food processor until the size of breadcrumbs.
3. Pour the buttermilk in one bowl and the cereal in another.
4. Take the popsicle sticks and skewer the chicken tenders on to the sticks leaving a 1 inch handle.
5. Roll the chicken tenders in the buttermilk and then in the cereal, coating the chicken completely.
6. Line a sheet tray with foil and spray it with oil.
7. Place the chicken tender sticks on the sheet tray and lightly spray them with oil and cover stick handles with foil so they do not burn.
8. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cooked through.
9. Serve with ranch dip
*After step 5 place chicken tenders on a sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer to a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, follow steps 6-9 adding an additional 3-5 min cooking time (do not defrost).