"Sushi" Sandwiches

One of the most fun parts about being a mom is making school lunches. It can also be one of the most frustrating. One day you feel inspired and creative, making meals you can't wait for your kid to find his lunch box; the next day you're banging your head against the wall because you feel like a failure for preparing the same boring thing day after day.

One of the things I find kids love most about the surprise of opening their lunch box isn't just how the food will taste, but also how pleasing it is to their eye. Just making everything look good can have a big effect your kid's excitement level. I always try and pay attention to how Kenya's lunch will look to him the first time he sees it. As many of you know, I'm a major fan of the Lap Top Lunch Box because it has several compartments, each of which you can fill with a different culinary treasure for your little one. But you don't need a cool lunch box to make a good impression. For example, I love giving Kenya sandwiches, especially healthy tuna fish recipe sandwiches, but let's face it, after a few days even sandwiches can quickly lose their appeal. Still, I think it's a wholesome school lunch, so I thought of ways to put a cool visual spin on the same old same old. The result was these "sushi" sandwiches. They are a fun take on a tuna sandwich crossed with a sushi roll (don't worry, there's nothing raw here). All you do is flatten your bread, fill it with healthy tuna fish salad, roll it up and then cut it into individual bites. It's not only delicious, but an exciting treat that will impress your kids, be fun for them to eat and hopefully inspire you to keep thinking outside of the box -- the school lunch box, that is!

Sushi Sandwiches  (Makes 3 Rolls - 12 Pieces)

• 3 pieces of whole wheat sandwich bread
  • 1 can of tuna (i use albacore in water)
  • 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (plus more for spreading on the bread)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 cucumber, cut into long, thin sticks
  • 1 carrot, grated

1. 1. Cut the crusts off of each slice of bread and roll out as thin as possible with a rolling pin.
  2. 2. Place the tuna, capers, mayonnaise and dijon mustard in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Place the long side of the rolled out bread closest to you.
  4. 4. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of rolled out bread.
  5. 5. Thinly spread 1/3 of the tuna mixture onto half of the bread lengthwise.
  6. 6. On top of the tuna mixture, arrange some of the cucumber sticks and grated carrot making sure not too over stuff the roll (a little goes a long way).
  7. 7. Starting at the side closest to you (the filled end) tightly roll the tuna/cucumber/carrot mixture up and press to seal into a roll (I dab a bit of mayonnaise across the end of the roll to act as a glue sealing the roll).
  8. 8. Cut the roll into 4 even pieces and repeat with remaining bread and tuna mixture.
Sushi Sandwiches

Comments

1. Pingback: Fly Spear | 34 Healthy and Eye-Catching Bento Box Lunch Ideas

2. echau

May 21, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Love this idea for a quick, healthy and creative lunch for my kid! I wanted it to taste like sushi so after I rolled out the bread, I put a piece of seaweed on top and then canned salmon (mixed with mayonnaise and red onions), thinly sliced carrots, avocado, mango and apple. Came out colorful and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

3. Kate

May 11, 2014 at 2:22 pm

The nutrition information is for how many “sushis” ?

4. Pingback: 15 Work Lunch Box Ideas

5. Christina

February 5, 2014 at 11:20 pm

How many pieces are in one serving size? Is it one roll, or is the entire recipe made fo 1 serving?

6. Pingback: 34 healthy and eye-catching bento box lunch ideas ‹ Cyprus Today

7. Kimmerlee

September 2, 2013 at 12:39 am

This is yet another fantastic idea! Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try it!

8. Rashmi

August 22, 2013 at 12:54 am

awesome site. My little gobbler has become rather choosy in her liking lately which brings me often to your wonderful blog. Today I tired this recipe without the capers, and it tasted yum. However mine didn’t roll out as neatly as yours. Any chance you can video it ? :) I am thinking I could even serve this up at her next birthday party if it comes out nice and dandy :) . We prefer being vegetarian and I found the comment about using avocados. How wonderful!

9. Pingback: Day 37. What I like Wednesday: Tuna sushi sandwich | Just Lauren

10. Pingback: iPackLunch » Blog Archive » Tuna Sushi Rolls {An Inspiration}

11. Amanda

July 16, 2013 at 11:17 am

You have some amazing ideas and creative lunches. I only wish my daughter wasn’t so picky.

12. ctgirl

January 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Awesome idea! Sushi Rocks!

13. Michelle Wetzler

August 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm

What kind of bread? Mine fell apart

August 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I use sandwich bread and roll it super thin!

14. Ravinder Tulsiani (Keep Kids Safe Online Tips/Articles)

December 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. That is an extremely neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

15. custom-pills

November 9, 2011 at 12:29 am

Great paintings! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the internet. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)

• Olga

February 1, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I completely agree with this! Yesterday I sent an e-mail to a juice brand I buy soeitemms telling them how much I enjoy their product today they sent me an e-mail telling me they’ll be sending a free coupon my way!

16. Pingback: omega-3

17. Jacqui

December 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm

what a great idea! We do sushi on Christmas eve.. now I can make something for my daughter that will look the same, but be what she likes! :)

18. Laura

December 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I would love to make this for my daughter! We are a vegetarian household so I cant do the tuna but she loves cream cheese and avocado sandwiches…is there a way to include avocado slices without them turning brown through the day? This is an awesome idea for making a sandwich visually appealing and fun!

• Erin

December 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

rub some lemon on the avocado that will stop them from going brown

19. Pingback: Ahhh, Asia | Domestic Ease

20. Amber Bonilla

February 11, 2010 at 11:39 pm

This sounds great, but tuna is so high in mercury (ex: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100205/hl_hsn/testsshowtoptunabrandshavehighmercurylevels) and it’s hard to argue that any amount is safe to ingest. Think I’d try this with salmon salad, using those bags/cans of salmon; it has more omega 3′s and calcium than tuna anyway! :)

• Rae - A Quiche To Build A Dream On

January 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm

While some tuna contains more mercury than others (such as solid white albacore) it’s safe in moderation. You wouldn’t want to feed your child a fish like swordfish often, if at all, because of the significantly higher levels of mercury. Canned salmon is a great recommendation – I’ve tried making these with canned chicken and I don’t know why the salmon didn’t occur to me before, haha! My daughter requests these often and I have to admit it… I’ve packed these in my own brown bag lunch before. :D

21. shannon

February 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I’m afraid to use tuna with my kids. Could you talk about why the mercury in tuna doesn’t stop you from feeding to your children? Just curious…I don’t know if I’m being overly cautious by banning it altogether. Thanks!

22. Urs Jepsen

February 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

LOVE IT! You are so clever – way to go! These would be great for a birthday or Halloween party as well.
    Thank you!