Carrot Hummus "Sushi" Sandwiches

Carrot Hummus Sushi Sandwiches

Summer has gone by way too fast for me. I can't believe that Kenya and Chloe are starting school again. Within a couple of weeks kids across the country will be heading back for a year of learning and many of their parents will be confronted with the dreaded task of making school lunch.

The older Kenya gets, the more specific he is about the recipes I pack in his lunch box. One of the items he requests most are his beloved "sushi" sandwiches. They're really easy for kids to pick up and pop in their mouth, so I make them often using a variety of different fillings. They make lunch time effortless for both him and me.

I accidentally bought carrots at the farmers' market three weekends in a row and completely forgot about them. I wanted to put my surplus to good use so I used them to make homemade carrot pickles, roast carrot hummus (both of these recipes can be found in Weelicious Lunches), Carrot Ginger Sauce and of course, these little sandwich bites. They're super healthy and a perfect way to start offthe school year right!

Carrot Hummus Sushi Sandwiches 3

Here's how the look close-up: so easy to make.

Carrot Hummus Sushi Sandwiches 2

They're so darn cute in this LapTop Lunches Bento Box!

Carrot and Hummus \\"Sushi\\" Sandwiches  (makes 24 sushi pieces)

• 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread (cut off crusts optional)
  • 8 teaspoons hummus
  • 1 large carrot, grated

1. 1. Using a rolling pin, roll out the sandwich bread to get it as thin as you can.
  2. 2. Spread 2 teaspoons of hummus on each slice of bread. Place 1 tablespoon of grated carrots on one end of the bread.
  3. 3. Starting at the end with the carrots, roll up the bread tightly like a cinnamon roll. Press the seam to seal. The hummus will act as a glue to hold the sandwich together.
  4. 4. Slice the rolls into 6 \\"sushi\\" pieces and serve.
Carrot and Hummus \\

Comments

1. twinies88

January 29, 2014 at 8:56 am

This was so easy to make and my daughter loved them!! Will be exploring your website for more ideas!! Thank you!

2. Sian

October 7, 2013 at 3:43 am

This looks so cute! I always have these ingedients. I’m going make for my two year old twins for a picnic tomorow. By the way, I have just had a chance to start having a look through your recipes. They all look very inspiring, thank you. (currently baking banana berry bread, smells delish).

3. Angela

August 30, 2013 at 10:06 am

I love the idea of taking these cute little mini sandwich bites for my own lunch!. I think I will also try Deidre’s idea of using tahini and honey with mashed banana, grated apple, raisins or even dried cranberries. I see lots of possibilities for fillings. : )

4. Aura

August 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm

That’s an amazing idea for kids, but I am wondering how do you prevent the bread goes cracked while you are rolling it?
    Thank you!
    Be well

August 29, 2013 at 4:53 pm

You need to use a softer bread!

5. Jenn

August 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

I loved this. I made it for my one year old, and she didn’t know what to think of it. Instead she threw it on the floor. I will try again with her, at some point I am sure she will love it too:) Thanks for this creative recipe!

6. Tracy

August 28, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I tried making bread sushi awhile ago, but my whole wheat bread split/cracked. Any suggestions? Does it need to be a particularly soft bread? Thanks!

August 29, 2013 at 11:11 am

I have found that a softer bread does work better because it is easier for it to sort of squish. I like using Trader Joe’s whole wheat sandwich bread for sushi sandwiches! :)

7. Diedre

August 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

What a wonderful idea. I did not have hummus or carrots but I used sweet potato puree, tahini paste, and raw honey and rolled it up. Kids loved it. I can not wait to get your new book

8. April

August 28, 2013 at 11:45 am

Do you make your own hummus? If not, which do you buy? Just discovered my favorite brand has soybean oil. When I wrote the company to ask if it was non-GMO sourced oil, they would not answer directly. So we need a new hummus for our family. Thanks!

• kristi lopez

August 28, 2013 at 4:55 pm

April, Our company, Fresh n’ Nova, based out of Pasadena, makes a wonderful raw hummus with non-GMO canola oil & olive oil. We are at Whole Foods in CA, AZ & NV. We would love to pair up with Weelicious and do a giveaway if anyome is interested!

August 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Yes, I make my own hummus! When I don’t have any in the house and no time, then I’ll buy it from Trader Joe’s! http://weelicious.com/2011/01/12/hummus/

9. Lauren

August 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

I just made “sushi” sandwiches the past two days for my daughter’s preschool lunch! They’re so adorable and like you said, poppable. I was planning to try hummus with chopped cucumbers, and have already done turkey and cheese.