Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pesto

sundried-tomato-pesto.jpg

We go through a ton of pesto in our house. Basil grows wild in our garden, so Kenya and I make a new batch every few weeks to eat and give to friends. There are all different kinds of pestos and we have lots of fun experimenting and making all different kinds. Last week, I bought a jar of sun dried tomatoes at Trader Joe's ($3.69) and thought they would be delicious pureed into a pesto.

This is one of my favorite gifts to make and eat, especially this time of year. The rich red, white and green colors of this pesto couldn't make it more perfect for Christmas. Here's what I suggest:

1. Multiply the recipe an make a big batch (it's ridiculously easy to do).

2. Fill mason jars (you can get them at craft stores or most groceries) with the pesto and add your own labels with the recipe written on them so your friends can remake it if they like it (and I promise they will!).

3. Place the jars in a festive bag or basket with a box of nice pasta.

For less then $7 you've got a holiday gift that everyone in the family with enjoy And it will seem like you spent much more!

Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Pesto  (makes 1 1/2 cups - 6 servings)

There are some classic things that just go great together. For some, it's Sundays and football. For others, it's chocolate and peanut butter. For me, it's food and the holidays. We go through a ton of pesto in our house. Basil grows wild in our...

• 1 8.5 oz jar sun dried tomatoes
  • 1 cup basil, packed
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth (if the pesto is too thick, add additional olive oil).
  3. *Place into ice cube trays and freeze then pop into ziploc bags. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours or toss in with your hot pasta - tossing until it defrosts.
Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Pesto

Comments

1. Homemade christmas gifts

November 21, 2011 at 2:05 am

Great work! This is the kind of information that should be shared around the web. Disgrace on the search engines for now not positioning this post upper! Come on over and consult with my web site . Thanks =)

• Mologadi

February 3, 2014 at 1:08 am

hi kelly – it’s actually so easy. just chop up your basil leeavs, roast some walnuts and pine tree nuts and add them to the mix, add olive oil until you’re happy with the smoothness and parmesan until it’s tangy enough for you. and then just add coarse salt (we love fleur de sel) and pepper to your taste. it’s such a quick way to whip up a pasta dish, it’s crazy we hadn’t tried it before!

2. Jessica

August 30, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I make tons of pesto because it grows wild here, as well, and I never use any nuts. I know it would be considered sinful according to the “pesto pros,” but since my son is allergic to all nuts, we just go without. It’s still simply amazing with just the basil, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and garlic. I can’t wait to add the tomatoes!

3. Marcy Reimer

August 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm

can not believe Basil grows wild there :) I can only grow mine in the summer and have to baby it because it needs so much light and warmth, and I dont get a lot here a little jealous

4. Amy

June 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Oh my goodness! I made this with toasted sunflower seeds instead of cheese because my son is allergic – it’s amazing!! I would eat it right out of the bowl. :)

5. Wendy

June 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm

@Jessica: I made a pesto recipe from a friend that calls or sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts. It turned out great. Maybe you could try them as a substitute.

6. Laura

June 17, 2010 at 10:38 am

We made this last night and my whole family loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

7. Jessica

January 6, 2010 at 2:35 am

We love pesto, but recently discovered that my son is allergic to pine nuts. I can’t wait to try this recipe! We have lots of frozen chopped basil, so I’m going to give it a try. Hopefully we’ll all be able to enjoy pesto again! Thanks!