As we embarked on the end of school this year I started switching gears and wrapping my head around all the exciting foods we would be eating this summer. Big chucks of watermelon, corn on the cob, fruit crisps, Heirloom Tomato Salad and of course, burgers! Last week I shared Salmon Burgers with Quick Pickled Cukes and this week I’m back with these BBQ Chicken Burgers for Rewind Wednesday. You’ll never miss the beef with either of these burger recipes because they’re so darn easy and satisfying. You can use light or dark ground chicken in them (the darker meat giving you more fat and flavor), if you’re looking to sink your teeth into a burger reminiscent of what you would get at a fast food joint or right off your barbecue. What gives them extra zip and zing, though, is your favorite barbecue sauce you choose to add to them. No matter if you like them a bit more sweet, vinegary or spicy there are an enormous amount of sauces at the grocery store to satisfy your craving or you could even make your own. My only advice is to avoid the ones where it lists corn syrup as one of the first two or three ingredients as they will be a bit too syrupy, sticky sweet.
When you’re planning a big get together and want a simple recipe to satisfy your crowd’s cravings give these Barbecue Chicken Burgers a whirl. You’ll be glad you did!
To me, summertime means burger time! I like to switch it up and get away from the usual beef burgers and instead try something different like these BBQ Chicken Burgers. If you have visions of a meal time mess, fear not. Since you add your favorite BBQ sauce into the mixture in this recipe, the burgers take on all the tangy, sweet and spicy flavor without it dripping all over you and your kids' fingers and clothes while you eat.
The next time you're having a party or family gathering whip up a batch of these burgers and look around at all the happy (and clean) faces!
Feed Me Phoebe_ Greek Lamb Burgers with Mint Tzatziki
The Lemon Bowl: Filet Burgers with Tahini Garlic Mayo
Creative Culinary_ The Canyon Creek Burger from Ted’s Montana Grill
Healthy Eats_ Beef and Beyond_ 6 Reasons to Cook More Burger
Weelicious: BBQ Chicken Burgers
The Wimpy Vegetarian_ Crispy Mexican Black Bean Burgers
Homemade Delish_ Stuffed Bleu Cheese Burger with Buffalo Sauce
The Mom 100_ Buffalo Turkey Burger Sliders
FN Dish_ Now, That's the Stuff_ Stellar Stuffed Burgers
BBQ Chicken Burgers (makes 8 mini burgers or 4 regular size burgers)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce, plus additional for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 sliced jack or mozzarella cheese
Preparation1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and sauté the onions for 4 minutes or until tender and set aside to cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled sautéed onions, ground chicken, BBQ sauce, salt, onion and garlic powder, and mix well.
3. Evenly divide the mixture into 4 pieces for regular sized burgers, or 8 pieces for mini burgers. Shape into patties.
4. Heat remaining tbsp of oil in a pan and cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side.
5. Place 1 slice of cheese on each patty during the last minute of cooking and allow to melt.
6. Place burgers on buns and top with desired accompaniments.
Burger Buns, additional bbq sauce, lettuce, tomato, pickles